Starting the gym, few questions

Ive had a gym membership for a while and used it twice. Yeah, ashamed to admit it really!

Im 32, mum of 7 kids (12 years - 1.5years) i started my weight loss journey 26th jan this year weighing 229lbs (16st 5lb) and currently weigh 164lb (11st 10lb)

For the past 3 months ive been playing with the weight loss really. Gaining & losing the sane 3-5lbs. Its time to get my act together, and actually go to the gym.

Im planning on going 3/4 times per week to start with. Doing weights that i was shown and begin the c25k on treadmill.

I have some saggyness in upper arms and inner thighs id love to try and combat. My stomach is shocking which will eventually need surgery. I accept this.

Im in the right place in my head, i think.. Im prepared to give myself 3/4 hours per week to do this.. I'll make the time!

My question really is when are results seen? I appreciate 3/4 hours per week is hardly anything. But its a start. Just wondering when you start, when do you start to see a change, even slightly?

Replies

• beachhouse758
    beachhouse758 Posts: 371 Member
    The most important part of weight loss is your diet and being able to maintain a sufficient caloric deficit. With that said, I started to see a difference about 2 weeks in.
    I am sure it all depends on the person, goals, body composition / starting point, workout routine, intensity and all that.

I also started C25K and I am about to finish it. The great thing about c25k is that even you are almost dying after 30 seconds on day 1 (which I was) you will amaze yourself at the progress you make every day.
    You just have to be consistent with the program and remember to slow down - the point of the program is to gain cardiovascular endurance, not to run the fastest.

I have seen huge results in about 6 weeks. My original plan was just to do "something" 3 days a week. So I started c25k. Then incorporated other things.
    The key for me has been to try my best at every single workout. Not just half @ss it for the sake of checking it off.
    And that goes for nutrition too.
    I don't count calories here, at the moment. But I started to do it, so I have an awareness of portions and caloric density.
    Right now, I just try to make the most nutritious choices for my needs (most of the times) and have decadent meals on special occasions. So I don't feel deprived.
    It works for me.

My suggestions are:

• Take starting pictures (can be scary, but will be worth it later)
    • Take starting measurements.
    • Weigh and record your food, at least initially -- so you can get an accurate idea of what your portions are actually like, accurate feedback if you have questions for the boards, an awareness of food's caloric value etc...
    • Give all you got to each and everyone one of your workouts.
    • Be consistent, but don't aim for perfection, just progress.
    • If you are dreading working out, and you hate doing it. It is better to try something else. Eventually you will find something that you will enjoy and look forward to doing.

Best of luck. You can do this :)
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Results/fat loss come mainly from your calorie deficit. Cardio can help you create a larger deficit or allow you to eat more, as well as being beneficial to heart health. Weight training in a deficit will allow you to save more LBM which can give you a more fit look once you get closer to goal.
  • Next_summer
    Next_summer Posts: 10 Member
    The most important part of weight loss is your diet and being able to maintain a sufficient caloric deficit. With that said, I started to see a difference about 2 weeks in.
    I am sure it all depends on the person, goals, body composition / starting point, workout routine, intensity and all that.

I also started C25K and I am about to finish it. The great thing about c25k is that even you are almost dying after 30 seconds on day 1 (which I was) you will amaze yourself at the progress you make every day.
    You just have to be consistent with the program and remember to slow down - the point of the program is to gain cardiovascular endurance, not to run the fastest.

I have seen huge results in about 6 weeks. My original plan was just to do "something" 3 days a week. So I started c25k. Then incorporated other things.
    The key for me has been to try my best at every single workout. Not just half @ss it for the sake of checking it off.
    I don't count calories here, at the moment. But I started to do it, so I have an awareness of portions and caloric density.
    Right now, I just try to make the most nutritious choices for my needs (most of the times) and have decadent meals on special occasions. So I don't feel deprived.
    It works for me.

My suggestions are:

• Weigh and record your food, at least initially -- so you can get an accurate idea of what your portions are actually like, accurate feedback if you have questions for the boards, an awareness of food's caloric value etc...
    • If you are dreading working out, and you hate doing it. It is better to try something else. Eventually you will find something that you will enjoy and look forward to doing.

It works for me.

My suggestions are:

Thanks for taking the time out to post, appreciate it. What you have posted totally makes sence. Im willing to put the effort in, and even to see a slight improvement in my apperance in 6 weeks would be awsome! I'm definetly going to take before pics and measurements. Never done this at the start of my weight loss journey but feel im entering into a new phase.

Thanks x
  • Next_summer
    arditarose wrote: »
    Results/fat loss come mainly from your calorie deficit. Cardio can help you create a larger deficit or allow you to eat more, as well as being beneficial to heart health. Weight training in a deficit will allow you to save more LBM which can give you a more fit look once you get closer to goal.

Thanks for your reply
  • Next_summer

Thanks for your reply. What is LBM? x
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member

Thanks for your reply. What is LBM? x

Lean body mass...muscle. When you lose weight you lose fat, muscle, and water. You want to minimize muscle loss by hitting an appropriate protein goal each day and doing some sort of resistance/strength training.
  • Next_summer
    Ah, thanks for that :)

Gosh trying to get my head around it all.. Im sure i'll get there :)

Im going to really focus on eating healthy foods and make sure i do weights at the gym at least 3 times per week