Holiday Survival Guide

Options
Tamlynnsbs
Tamlynnsbs Posts: 1 Member
edited November 2015 in Motivation and Support
Two years ago I was preparing for my first NPC Figure competition during the holiday season. Here are the secrets I used to enjoy the festivities without derailing my training!
1. Eat breakfast half an hour after waking up.
2. Keep your meal timing as close to normal as possible, for me that is every 2.5 to 3 hours.
3. Drink your water! My goal is 4 liters per day. Do not compromise on this.
4. No guilt, consider this meal a "cheat", "reward", or I prefer "off plan" meal.
5. Decide which foods you "have to have", (those special dishes that come to mind when think of the Holidays), then have a very small serving, just enough to satisfy the taste buds.
6. Include your protein portion!
7. If you still feel hungry or want to nosh to be social hangout at the veggie tray! Sans dip.
8. Go for a walk, play twister, dance with kids!
9. Resist the temptation to repeat the earlier meal for supper.
10. The day after back on track! Do not let the food party continue on!
For tips checkout, www.newwaywellness.com!

Replies

• OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    This one especially speaks to me:
    "5. Decide which foods you "have to have", (those special dishes that come to mind when think of the Holidays), then have a very small serving, just enough to satisfy the taste buds."
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    meh...it's just a day. pretty irrelevant in the grand scheme so long as you're not treating the entire "season" as a reason to go ape *kitten* crazy.
  • spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    meh...it's just a day. pretty irrelevant in the grand scheme so long as you're not treating the entire "season" as a reason to go ape *kitten* crazy.

Yeah, it is a just one day, but like you said, it is a "season". There are often lots of auxiliary events and platefuls of treats hanging around for weeks. It is a scary and daunting time of the year for many people who are trying hard to watch their food intake. OP - thanks for posting as I am sure that lots of people will be helped.
  • runloulou
    runloulou Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yep great little tips! Thanks. :)
  • karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    Great contribution, lots will sure find it helpful but I seriously think that over thinking about it at least for me does no good, like when I first started to lose weight I didn't over think oh I'm fat because I have a food obsession, or bad genes or American food is plain evil , I just cut the calories and lost the weight.

I know it may sound awful but sometimes people over complicate things , I like too keep it as simple as possible.

But I know I'm the weirdo
  • karyabc
    Options
    But for what it worth cause I don't want to look like the Grinch , last year I enjoyed everything I guess in " moderation" but really did not count calories at all and next day I gave away the leftovers, cause that's exactly what I felt like doing and almost 1 year later , no regrets :p

It's about asking what u want , go for it and own it , if that's eating until there's no end , do it and if that's counting every calorie go for it too.

• OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    A lot might have to do with where you are in your weight loss journey. I'm pretty much just starting (again) and so one day of going way overboard is more likely to have an impact on me. I think once you've got a good handle on what your own typical daily eating is like, it's easier to go off for a day and get right back to it. Of course, I'm going to probably go over my daily calorie goal on Thanksgiving, but I'm going to try to be careful about how I do it, and how far I go.
  • karyabc
    Options
    64crayons wrote: »
    A lot might have to do with where you are in your weight loss journey. I'm pretty much just starting (again) and so one day of going way overboard is more likely to have an impact on me. I think once you've got a good handle on what your own typical daily eating is like, it's easier to go off for a day and get right back to it. Of course, I'm going to probably go over my daily calorie goal on Thanksgiving, but I'm going to try to be careful about how I do it, and how far I go.

Hey hi , don't know if you are referring to me but just in case , actually I started my weight loss right around this time last year, 2 weeks before thanksgiving , so yes I know exactly how you're feeling but I did not get morbidly obese because of the holidays quite the opposite the problem was the other 350ish days , Christmas at least I had a good excuse of why going over the top.

Wish u the best , think what u want and go for it !