Loosing weight while nursing

Options
Hi, I am nursing a 6 month old, I am determined to loose weight but feel like I am at a point where the weight just doesn't come off very quickly. Does nursing cause your body to hold onto extra weight?

Replies

• ElbowCoude
    ElbowCoude Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm exclusively breastfeeding my 7 month old and in the last 4 months I have lost 76 lbs, not even counting the pregnancy weight since I lost it immediately. It can be done! I made sure to check in with my doctor about diet since I want to make plenty of milk! My little guy is thriving! Good luck!!!
  • amandanicole90a
    amandanicole90a Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hello! I am exclusively nursing my almost 6 month old baby girl!! I was holding onto a lot of my weight after i delivered, i think because nursing makes me hungrier than pregnancy did lol. I just got back into the swing of things with eating in moderation and the weight is slowly coming off.

Some people shed weight like crazy while nursing... Some people hold on to a few extra pounds...

And a lot of people who shed weight quickly have a lot to lose so if you don't have a lot of weight to lose then that does have something to do with losing weight more slowly...
  • dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    I lost all the baby weight both times and I know nursing helped quite a bit. It made me thirsty and I drank lots of water plus the doctor said I could go to drinking skim milk. I also think I didn't eat a lot because I was sleep deprived- those were the days! :p
  • jacquezd963
    jacquezd963 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have about 10 lbs I'd like to lose. so not a lot. It just seems like I'm already controlling my portions and cutting out sugars and fats and I'm not seeing results.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    I am still nursing my 13 month old. He is my 5th.

I have noticed that I have a hard time losing the weight while breastfeeding, especially in the first year. Like someone else said, I think it was because I was hungrier. In the last month or so (about since my baby turned 1) I have lost about 5 pounds out of the 25 or so I want to drop ... I think it's just because I'm able to adhere to my calorie goals. I don't know what the difference is when they turned 1 (except they're eating a lot more "real" food) but I remember something similar happening with my last child, too.

My advice, based on my experience, is to focus mostly on getting a well-balanced diet right now. Track your food & calories if it helps. You may find the weight slowly coming off that way, but you might not. In my opinion, it's more important to continue providing that nutrition for your baby (assuming you want to keep breastfeeding) and not feeling deprived. That doesn't mean to give up and eat anything and everything, of course. Just be patient and enjoy your little girl for now, it doesn't last long at all!
  • jacquezd963
    jacquezd963 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Yes, I plan to continue breastfeeding, so I don't want to eat too few calories. I'll just have to see how it goes moving forward as I have incorporated much healthier foods into my diet recently.
  • ploppersdf1
    ploppersdf1 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I'm exclusively nursing right now as well with my 4 month old. I'm not restricting too heavily. I held on to, and gained quite a bit of weight after my pregnancy. At my 6 week pp check up I was 226. I'm now 231... So I am hoping to see some of it come off. I was also emotionally eating, due to stress level and what not..