What was your "rock bottom" moment?

Options
At what point in time, whether it was a moment, time period or a day, that you said "I've officially hit rock bottom and need to make some changes" I truly believe mine was today. A couple hours ago even.

Replies

• Cheryl7777
    Cheryl7777 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Mine was when my surgeon told me he couldn't replace my hip until I lost weight. Worn out hips are very painful and I have found, quiet the motivator to lose weight.
  • gramarye
    gramarye Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    It was a night I was outrageously drunk, behaving erratically among friends, crying behind a friend's apartment building, got lost the same multi-block complex, and took an hour and half to make a simple 45 minute walk home. It would still be several other very low moments before I stopped trying to solve my problems with alcohol and started taking my mental health seriously, but that was by far the worst.
  • holla18
    holla18 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Mine was during a christmas holiday a couple of years ago.

I was at home wearing a sweater without a bra (something that I never do) and I had to lie down every 30 min due to back pain.

Thought of getting breast reduction but could not affort it. Therefore I so decided to lose the weight and I am glad I did!

There were other factors leading up to this (bullying, doctors tell me to do it) but that was the actual moment that i realized something needed to be done.
  • moya_bleh
    moya_bleh Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Needing 38 waist jeans.
  • free2bjuicy
    free2bjuicy Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    My eye opening moment was this past August during my anniversary at Panama City Beach. I looked at the pictures afterwards and could not believe how BIG I looked, I was completely ashamed. Those pictures made me want to change. The journey is still hard but I have been working out 6 days a week and eating sensibly and the weight is coming off at an okay pace, but the biggest thing is that I feel awesome.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    The year I almost became the owner of the company I worked at. It was my dream. I lost it. During the struggle I started gaining weight which I put off addressing. One night I was so upset about my relationship with my boyfriend and it all just piled up. I couldn't be alone in the house and didn't know what to do...so I went to the gym (I had not been going regularly). I told myself I could do whatever I wanted there but that I just had to go.

After the gym I felt a lot better, but I came home and got ridiculously drunk off of whiskey and danced around my apartment listening to early 90s r&b.

Pretty sure everything changed after that day.
  • charlottem1705
    charlottem1705 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Not fitting in the seatbelt of the plane. Mortified doesn't begin to describe how I felt. Ruined my holiday
  • KevinPsalm23v4
    KevinPsalm23v4 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Not fitting in the seatbelt of the plane. Mortified doesn't begin to describe how I felt. Ruined my holiday

Thank you for sharing. I too felt the same way for me.
  • KevinPsalm23v4
    KevinPsalm23v4 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    When I decided to move forwards with a divorce - I found I had NO energy to even try and take care of my kids. The combination of divorce stress and fear I might loose them because of my health. The gym, diet, exercise and support from friends who said "You are not alone in going through this." I decided to change forever!

I've dropped a massive amount of weight since end of August 2015, probably 50+ pounds. I have another 60 to go!
  • Obnoxa
    Obnoxa Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    It was about 2AM in the beginning of July. I had gorged myself so much on food I couldn't sleep because of the indigestion and heartburn. I lied there mentally beating myself up, taking stock of my life, and considered that I quite likely wouldn't live to see my daughters 18th birthday. I resolved to get on a scale in the morning and see what I had done.
    I did, and I was 290 lbs. I cried, I got mad
    ... And then I got a stationary bike, and some resistance bands.
    Next I downloaded MFPs app and that was 70lbs ago :)

• spring_bunny
    spring_bunny Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    When I finally got the courage to get on the scale after almost a year to see what I already knew and feared - that I was the heaviest I'd ever been in my life (after having been the thinnest 2 years ago). I'm glad I did it when I did, before it got any worse. Facing that fear finally gave me the strength I needed to start doing something about it and stick to the plan (after many failed attempts in the past year to slim down).
  • OneHundredToLose
    OneHundredToLose Posts: 8,523 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    For me it was something like 5 months ago when I stepped on the scale and saw a number I'd always told myself I'd never hit. It was absolutely shocking to realize I'd gotten that heavy. I had kind of a visceral reaction to it and within a month or so I'd lost like 20 - 25lbs. It was unhealthy and I gained some of it back almost right away, then stayed at that weight until about 3 months ago when I signed up here and decided to start a consistent, healthy schedule to reach a much healthier weight.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    Mine was in Oct 2007. On a business trip with my (older but much leaner) boss and I was at my highest weight, we had to go up and down several flights of stairs and I became extremely winded with pretty bad pain in my shins and ankles.

Even though I'd been obese for many years (since my teens even), I was used to being relatively active physically and being that big girl who would easily beat her thin friends to the top of the stairs or whatever. That was a HUGE wake up call for me. I realized my sedentary job and comfort eating had taken me from "fat & happy" to a danger zone, within a very short time. I started making positive changes right away.
  • bubble_wrap0428
    bubble_wrap0428 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I hit rock bottom when I was very young actually, around 14 or 15. I was my highest weight I ever have been at 210 pounds. I started biking and restricting my diet when I had to wear size 18 jeans ( plus size women's). I would cry back to school shopping because I could no longer wear teen sized clothes. Everyone was dating and I was just overweight and depressed. Actually I lost like 50 pounds but it was still rock bottom for me because I was purging and over exercising to do so. Now I'm 22 and I've learned so much from my young experience. I haven't purged for years and I eat sensibly. I also have gained a lot of muscle and have a better body image.
  • JohnONE29
    JohnONE29 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Rock bottom wasn't 230 some pounds. Rock bottom was 126 pounds, a serious eating disorder, could only eat a few specific foods, could no longer run, could no longer hike, was depressed, and put off work. Due to lack of protein, fats, and sufficient calories, my physical & mental health both suffered. That was rock bottom, June of 2014.
  • jonipecson
    jonipecson Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    For me, it was when I laid down to go to sleep for the night and I couldn't breath good. No position helped. September I started the journey. I have kept 15 off so far, but feel I could do better.
  • amandanicole90a
    amandanicole90a Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I always knew i was chubby... But didn't realize i was fat lol. One day at a friends house we were talking about wanting to lose weight so we weighed ourselves. I truly didn't know what i weighed... I didnt own a scale... Denial? Lol. The number was 211!! I started tracking calories and joined a gym.... I have lost lots of weight and am below what i weighed before my first pregnancy!!
  • dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    Growing up very thin I've always had that "thin" image in my head of myself. I've never been one to "self-loathe" or anything like that, but I knew I was putting on weight in the past 10-15 years so I would try on and off to lose, always unsustainable, always gaining weight back plus more. I didn't feel overweight when I would get ready in front of the mirror, but when I saw pictures or videos of myself I didn't recognize myself (weird how that works). My moment when I decided to do something was when I tipped the scale at 180. I had been in the 170s for a few months and always thought- "I need to lose"- but didn't do much about it. I figured 180 was just water weight, fluctuation, etc. But it stayed there and I knew- I would just keep gaining if something didn't change. With heart disease along with bad knees and diabetes in my family, I knew that I needed to do something to change. And I did.
  • neil11111
    neil11111 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Fatal heart attack. I lay dead on the ER table for 6 minutes while the med team did CPR and shocked me multiple times with the paddles. Miraculously I lived and have lost 53lb and gotten myself into great shape. The thought of leaving my wife and kids behind was more than I could bear.
  • TheBeachgod
    TheBeachgod Posts: 825 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I think this one ^^^^ is the winner. Welcome back from the other side!

Mine pales in comparison but I thought it'd be humorous to take a selfie lying on the beach in January and texting it to family up North. I was stunned when I saw the photo. I looked like a short haired topless woman. While I have nothing but appreciation for topless women no matter how long or short their hair is I certainly don't want to look like one. I deleted the photo but it cannot be unseen. I started working on the moobs but still have a long way to go.