Thyroid diet calculator

Options
I have hypothyroidism and am really finding it difficult to shed a 1lb these days, despite dieting and exercising. I've done more research into this lately and found this little daily calorie intake calculator.
Have a look:
http://thyroid.about.com/cs/dietweightloss/a/eatingenough.htm

Replies

• lannahgirl
    lannahgirl Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain it's hard loosing a pound I have to work extra hard to see ANY results! I just found out I have hypothyroidism last month.
  • aranchmom
    aranchmom Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    wow! Thanks for that. Its worth a try. I, too, am finding it so difficult to lose even 1 lb -- despite careful calorie counting. Hypo stinks. :frown:
  • flausa
    flausa Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I average about 1450 calories a day, and eat the close to the protein/carb/fat ratio. I don't do the multiple small meals, because that just makes me hungrier. But doing 3 meals of 400 calories plus a snack or two works really well for me. I've lost 50 lbs since I started MFP in late January, and I've been on levithyroxin for about a year and a half. I decided early on that I couldn't do less than 1400 calories a day, because it made me feel ill and quite cranky. Makes sense according to that article!
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    Very interesting. I've been hypo for 32years and it has always been a struggle to lose weight.
    Many have said that I don't eat enough, however I tend to gain quickly if I eat more. So frustrating!
  • SJT75
    SJT75 Posts: 134
    Options
    Thanks for sharing....i'm in the same boat andit's hard work :(
  • amymt10
    amymt10 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    hmm.... very interesting article!! Thanks for sharing!!! I've had low thyroid for 6 years. I didnt really have too hard a time w/weight until after I had my kids. So hard to loose!!!!
  • aranchmom
    aranchmom Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I average about 1450 calories a day, and eat the close to the protein/carb/fat ratio. I don't do the multiple small meals, because that just makes me hungrier. But doing 3 meals of 400 calories plus a snack or two works really well for me. I've lost 50 lbs since I started MFP in late January, and I've been on levithyroxin for about a year and a half. I decided early on that I couldn't do less than 1400 calories a day, because it made me feel ill and quite cranky. Makes sense according to that article!
    so, do you just follow MFP's reccommendations for your calorie intake? or do they line up with the ones in this article? Curious as to whats been working for others, since what I have been doing is NOT working. I have been just using the MFP's -1 lb per week reccommendations.
  • nancymmorris
    nancymmorris Posts: 310
    Options
    Thank you for sharing this. As i figured my calories it made a lot of sense to me. I will for sure follow this!!
  • Brownski860
    Brownski860 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    i was diagnosed in my early 20's with hypo. I've been on Synthroid ever since (10+yrs). my dosage keeps going up every 2 yrs or so b/c my body keeps changing. I agree with everyone in here, so hard to lose ANY weight and the SMELL of food quickly puts it on. Stay strong guys/girls. We will battle this together. Please feel free to add me for support!
  • flausa
    flausa Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    They're slightly lower than the article suggests. I pretty much follow what MFP recommends calorie wise, but my carb/protein/fat ratio is much closer to what's in the article - mainly just because a balance of the three just seems to make sense to me. Don't know why it's working for me, but it is, and my new mantra is "eat more veg, eat more fruit, eat less rubbish, and drink more water."
  • seasonalvoodoo
    seasonalvoodoo Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    The recommendations in that article are definitely higher than what MFP suggests. I go with MFP's suggestions (sort of). I have it set to lose 1 lb, which has me at 1600 cals. But I zig zag my caloric intake, so some days I net 1200-1400 and other days I net 1600-1900.

I have been on Synthroid for about 4 years now. I have not had trouble losing weight. Started here at MFP in Jan.
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    bump
  • AndH
    AndH Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • randisaucier
    randisaucier Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this! I am also hypo. I have been eating between 1100 and 1200 calories a day based on the MFP recommended 1200 for a weight loss of 2 pounds per week for me. In several week I have lost between 2 and 4 pounds. According to this calculation I should be eating more around 2100. Which seams a lot to me. I think I am going to try a few weeks of 1500 to 1600 calories and see how my body does with that, before I jump to 2000 or so.
  • beckymorris68
    beckymorris68 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I couldn't dare eat 2000 a day...I would balloon!! I am prepared to try, say 1400-1500, but no more. To be honest, I think I eat that many each day anyway, with no success. I have been calorie counting since Jan 1st 2011 now, trying to stay around 1300 a day, probably eating 1400, taking 2-3 days exercise a week......and I have lost 2 measly pounds :-(
    Never in my life have I had this difficulty in losing weight. I have always been able to guesstimate my calorie intake in my head, cycle a bit and 2lbs drop off a week with ease. This thyroid business sucks big stylee.