Quick Survey - Sports Clothing (everyone including plus size

Options
I'm writing an article for my blog (and possibly UK mag) and wanted to do a quick straw poll and would love to hear your opinions in general on sports wear for men and women, particularly those who have been big or plus sized or still are.

How do you find getting sports wear in your size? Particularly if you are plus sized or particularly small?
How do you find getting NORMAL clothes in your size?
Can you find real performance sports wear in your size? (things like proper running tights with all the magic gizmos)
Do you find the sizes listed on sports wear fit the same as normal clothes?

How does clothing affect your workout? Your mood?

What are your general opinions of the sports wear industry and clothing for those who are bigger/tiny wanting athletics clothes.

Replies

• DancinSMartiPants
    Options
    Even plus sized things don't fit me properly, or at least they didn't about 20 pounds ago which was the last time I checked. I would love to have 3/4 running pants with wicking technology that ACTUALLY fits. I can find sports bras, but the good ones in my size are a bit pricy, too. $60-$75.

Good luck with your article!
  • TNGirlyGirl
    TNGirlyGirl Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I find that I have a different attitude about working out if I change into "workout clothes" first. I will work out harder if I'm in the proper attire, especially wearing yoga shorts and a good-fitting sports bra. That said,in my experience finding sports bras that fit and provide support for sizes over a standard Large is impossible without special ordering them. You can't just walk into a normal sporting goods store or your local Walmart and find sports/workout clothes that provide real support for fuller figures!! They might call them XL or XXL, but they won't provide the support needed -- tops or bottoms -- to allow you to workout without hurting yourself or feeling like you "flop" all over the place!!

Hope this helps!!
  • NBabi91
    NBabi91 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I have sports clothes to sometimes be more kind than many other brands. Sports clothes will go up to XXL while all other types of clothes usually end at XL.

Although it can at times be very difficult to find the size and with a large chest like mine (40DD) sometimes finding a sports bra that doesn't make me look like I have 6 boobs can be difficult.
  • rhawkins26
    rhawkins26 Posts: 22
    Options
    In Canada, there are only 2 or 3 retail stores that cater to the plus size market. You can get "active wear" really only in one, although another one does carry swimsuits. The selection is limited and does not really understand the plus size market that well. So, what you get are sleeveless or cap sleeves on the shirts, for example. A lot of plus size women have upper arms they don't want to show off to the world just yet.

I have managed to find workout pants and shorts that are okay, and I pair them with t-shirts. So it isn't a Lululemon outfit, but it serves the purpose. I think it makes a difference to how I feel when I work out, because I am then just like everyone else.

Now swimsuits are a different issue! Fortunately one store carries suits that are just like anywhere else, only sized appropriately. The other main store mainly has suits with the little skirt attached, which are so stupid looking. I mean, you're overweight... the little tiny swim skirt / ruffle ain't hiding NOTHING.... it merely draws attention to the fact that you are overweight.

Hope this is helpful.
  • Grumpelina
    Grumpelina Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'10 and currently wear around a UK 14/16 - I'm not overweight for my build and wouldn't consider myself to be 'plus sized'. Finding decent running tights in those (what I consider fairly normal) sizes has not been that easy!

Everything is also far too short and designed with slim/short people in mind. Who really wants to wear skin tight t-shirts that stop at the waist? I've ended up buying mens shirts or wicking t-shirts in a size 18 instead, as they don't cling the the tummy so much - which is a bit disheartening to say the least. I've never worn size 18 tops, even when I was a bit heavier!
  • SarahJayRigdon
    SarahJayRigdon Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    As a plus sized, tall girl on a budget, it is so very hard to find quality sports wear on a budget! I don't want to wear baggy sweats and t-shirts because I want to be able to check my form, but I don't want skin tight clothes that show off every roll. I mostly buy workout wear at wal mart and target because it's what I can find in my price range. It's not the best quality, wears out quickly, and provides little support. I have one wonerful underamour sports bra, but only because it was at a clerence store. What I don't understand is WHY it is so hard to find affordable plus sized workout wear; why discourage the people who need fitness the most by excluding them from the fitness gear that makes working out more comfortable? I would like sweat wicking tees and tanks. I would like strong, supportive pants and capris.
  • Iluvcheezits
    Iluvcheezits Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    6 ft here. It's really awesome when you try to start a new style with high water yoga pants or when you put on shorts and they look more like underwear because they are so short. Both looks are particularly nice when sporting the pre-sun "glow". I think it is so so important to make sure your workout clothes fit well. I already have insecurities about going to the gym, I don't need to worry about my clothes too. I like Old Navy for workout clothes, they offer cheap stuff in plus and tall sizes. When I'm real skinny I'll worry about performance clothes :)

Also - I found some NIKE shorts that are literally designed to not ride up your thighs when you walk and they have made a HUGE difference for me - they are also a little longer (for tall people). Some people may not know shorts like that are out there - I LOVE THEM.
  • licia67
    licia67 Posts: 109
    Options
    Well, I am not really heavy, but I am pretty tall and my only complaint is that if I want athletic pants that are long enough I have to buy them in a size L. They then fall off me unless I alter them somehow. I worke/work really hard to stay in a M. but if I buy them in my size then they are really short.
    My complaint about the tops is that the cute ones seem to be made to hug your body, and unless you have a toned midsection they advertize all the things that we are trying to conceal. Not flattering.
    When I wear athletic clothes I feel comfortable while exercising. Not restricted with movement.
  • joeysrib
    joeysrib Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    You can't find workout clothing in my size, in my area. Right now, I wear a 4-5 XLG, and the largest I can find around here is 2X. I wanna look cute too, why can't corporate buyers realize that not all of us want to dress like our grandma! The only thing that is easy to find in my size is scrubs, and I have to wear those to work, I don't want to wear them all the time.
  • manticorelotus
    manticorelotus Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I haven't found a problem finding athletic clothes. I can find decent sports bra. I usually wear a t-shirt or tank top to exercise in to start with, and i get pants for exercising. Only problem I have is I'm short so sometimes I trip on them if they go past my shoe with length lol.
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I see that tall ladies have have trouble finding long pants. I have the opposite problem.
    I'm 5'2" and extra large. It seems that if a size is large around, its also long. The shorts that should come to the knee are mid-calf, and the short sleeves come to my elbow. I have to cut off the ends of long sleeve shirts and hem them, but the shoulder seam is still too long. I've learned to alter most of my sports wear except bathing suits, which tend to have too small a cup.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    ~How do you find getting sports wear in your size? Particularly if you are plus sized or particularly small?

I have a very hard time finding things that fit that are not crazy expensive. I'm really petite and small framed. I live in compression pants/shorts to work out because they are so tight to the body I can roll up the bottoms. Normal jog pants or yoga pants easily go past my feet by 3-4 inches, lol. Tops are easier to find because I fit in 'normal' sizes and not petites.

~How do you find getting NORMAL clothes in your size?

Same as the workout clothes. Very difficult....I have found that Ann Taylor Loft carries 00 Petites that fit me perfectly. Otherwise I have to get pants hemmed. Skirts are my go to standard or I wear kids jeans (it's difficult to look like a proper adult when your jeans are covered in glitter and pink stitching, lol).

~Can you find real performance sports wear in your size? (things like proper running tights with all the magic gizmos)
    Do you find the sizes listed on sports wear fit the same as normal clothes?

I can...sometimes it's in the 'boys' department...but it works great for me. If I want the really good stuff I have to shop around and be choosy. It's hard to spend $100+ on one decent outfit...but if it helps my knees and keeps the boobs smooshed in while I run...it's so worth it.

~How does clothing affect your workout? Your mood?

If I feel sexy...then my attitude is positive. I've never worn sweats...to work out or otherwise. I just think they look sloppy. I want something that hugs my body...at least on the bottom. A looser top is fine as long as I have a good sports bra on.
    Also- If I wear the proper clothing....I don't have to worry about malfunctions happening...which allows me to only focus on my workout. This includes my shoes...I do not want to have to re-tie my laces or feel like my feet are sliding around. Socks!- So important....I'll gladly spend $8-20 a pair just to make sure I don't chafe during a run or hike. If I'm going to the gym for 30 minutes...sure I'll wear regular socks...but if I'm running or hiking....I better wear my wicking socks with no seams and give my instep some support.

~What are your general opinions of the sports wear industry and clothing for those who are bigger/tiny wanting athletics clothes?

I can't speak for those that are on the heavy side...but I sure wish they made more running pants/compression pants for those of us that are under 5"5. I'm only 5" and it is such a pain to find things that fit properly without shopping in the kids area, lol.

I hope this helps.
  • joanneeee
    joanneeee Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    How do you find getting sports wear in your size? Particularly if you are plus sized or particularly small? I'm not too small - a size 8-10 (australian) and it is soo hard.. cause i shop in the sales section. all the ones left are medium and above.
    How do you find getting NORMAL clothes in your size? the same. it's usually large + that i find.
    Can you find real performance sports wear in your size? (things like proper running tights with all the magic gizmos) lol honestly no. i found these compression tights i wanted and they only stocked larger sizes!
    Do you find the sizes listed on sports wear fit the same as normal clothes? yep.

How does clothing affect your workout? Your mood? it makes me feel better to be honest. i get into the 'zone' when i've got my gear on as opposed to just being in my jammies.

What are your general opinions of the sports wear industry and clothing for those who are bigger/tiny wanting athletics clothes. sell more smaller sizes please... would love to find some cheap clothing that fits me. it's just not practical for me to wear a large as i'm flapping around during my workout. also unrelated to sizes but i wish there were more running shoes for women in target/kmart. there are walls and walls for men and one tiny rack for women.

in conclusion, it's rare to find something i want in my size. i don't want to shell out the big bucks.
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for your replies guys all super helpful.