Not hungry but need to eat more calories

Options
Lately, I haven't been hungry enough to hit a healthy amount of calories. I've been eating healty foods and exercising for at leat 60 minutes 5 days a week. Right now, I've only ate 900 calories and the day is nearing an end. What should I eat to get more calories when I don't feel like eating?

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Ice cream, peanut butter or avocado
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Juice has tons of calories, is healthy and won't make you feel stuffed! :)

If this is a regular thing, try juice. If it's a "sometimes I'm over and sometimes I'm under, but I average the right number for the week," then don't worry about it.
  • memo1974
    memo1974 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    If you are eating that low calories and exercising, yet not hungry, chances are you are over training. How's your sleep and mood? having a hard time falling asleep? feeling cranky or irritable? All these are symptoms of over training. If that is the case, take 7 to 10 days off from training, then re-introduce training but only train every other day. Cheers
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Juice has tons of calories, is healthy and won't make you feel stuffed! :)

If this is a regular thing, try juice. If it's a "sometimes I'm over and sometimes I'm under, but I average the right number for the week," then don't worry about it.

I totally agree with this and do weekly calories myself atleast once a week I'll have a really low calorie day where I have been working outside lifting/moving stuff all day I'll drink a 1000 calorie weight gainer shake with whole milk just because I'm seriously in the neg for the day. My minimum for the week is 15000 calories and I always get minimum 50 grams of fat and 125 grams of protein everyday no matter what!!

I HIGHLY doubt its over training humans are pretty pathetic when it comes to our bodies capable output.. My 2 cents
  • NikkiMichelleS
    NikkiMichelleS Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Lately, I haven't been hungry enough to hit a healthy amount of calories. I've been eating healty foods and exercising for at leat 60 minutes 5 days a week. Right now, I've only ate 900 calories and the day is nearing an end. What should I eat to get more calories when I don't feel like eating?

I've had this a lot recently over the past month; I feel like some days I have to force myself to eat because I'm just not hungry. Im glad I found this thread!

Would you all recommend making ourselves eat a snack or drink juice/caloric drink, to add calories & nutrients? Or if we are low on calories by the end of the day, no big deal if it happens 2-3 times a week.
    Aside from the suggestions given to help, what do you think is the cause? This week I've done some long cardio workouts but am just not very hungry afterwards. Why is that?
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    My first question is, how are you measuring calories? Are you weighing and measuring everything? Because you might be eating more than you think.

However, that aside, if you feel tired or cranky and are consistently low on calories, yes, you should add more. PB, avocado, full-fat dairy (greek yogurt, ice cream, cottage cheese, cheese, etc). Even a protein shake might help.
  • bringingsexyback2007
    Options
    I use a food scale to measure calories and I pretty much always round up. It seems like exercising makes me have no appetite at all.

• mmebouchon
    mmebouchon Posts: 855 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Chocolate works for me, when I find I haven't eaten enough at the end of the day and I don't feel like eating.
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Trader joes cookie butter....or better yet pumpkin cookie butter. Eat straight from the jar, yum yum.
  • heatherwartanyan
    heatherwartanyan Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Taken some healthy oils like coconut or ghee
  • pie_eyes
    pie_eyes Posts: 12,964 Member
    Options
    My first question is what is on your diary because I want to know what your eating to stay under calorie goal like that
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter.

Also going with what everyone else has said. How are you measuring your food? Are you FOR SURE only at 900 calories?
  • jpvanzut
    jpvanzut Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Nuts!
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

I've had this a lot recently over the past month; I feel like some days I have to force myself to eat because I'm just not hungry. Im glad I found this thread!

Would you all recommend making ourselves eat a snack or drink juice/caloric drink, to add calories & nutrients? Or if we are low on calories by the end of the day, no big deal if it happens 2-3 times a week.
    Aside from the suggestions given to help, what do you think is the cause? This week I've done some long cardio workouts but am just not very hungry afterwards. Why is that?

Are you over other days of the week? Enough to compensate? Then it's not a problem. And not an uncommon effect after a long workout. I run, and when I've done long runs I'm not hungry after. If I do them at night, I'll go to bed without eating and have a normal appetite next morning. If I run in the morning I make myself eat something in the next couple of hours or I eventually crash without warning and do the whole shaky and weak bit until I get some food in me. And this is while eating plenty of calories. I'm in zero danger of undereating, believe me.

If you aren't over other days then it is a problem, or will become one. First priority is to get enough calories - significantly undereat for long and you'll find your appetite getting less. No bueno in your case. Second is to pick something that fills whatever nutritional gaps you have.
  • dhimaan
    dhimaan Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    chocolate is really calorie dense. Peanut butter, nuts of any kind.
  • NikkiMichelleS
    NikkiMichelleS Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »

Are you over other days of the week? Enough to compensate? Then it's not a problem. And not an uncommon effect after a long workout. I run, and when I've done long runs I'm not hungry after. If I do them at night, I'll go to bed without eating and have a normal appetite next morning. If I run in the morning I make myself eat something in the next couple of hours or I eventually crash without warning and do the whole shaky and weak bit until I get some food in me. And this is while eating plenty of calories. I'm in zero danger of undereating, believe me.

If you aren't over other days then it is a problem, or will become one. First priority is to get enough calories - significantly undereat for long and you'll find your appetite getting less. No bueno in your case. Second is to pick something that fills whatever nutritional gaps you have.

Thanks so much for your response.

I don't feel I am in serious danger of significantly undereatingundereating, as this hasnt been a long term problem. I'm usually pretty good with my calorie goals, sometimes adjust up a few hundred for a couple weekends, eat back some exercise calories, etc. When I'm under my targets, I'm within 100-200 of my 1360-1400 target.
    I was concerned over those heavy exercise days and not having enough food, nor feeling very hungry. Some days it just happens where I don't eat a lot. I wanted to be sure I wasn't causing that to myself (one day of undereating causes the next,into a bad cyclical pattern or something), or creating a bad habit. I've heard people repeatedly say you must fuel your workouts with proper nutrition, which I try to do. But lately seems the more intense cardio, the less hungry I am.

Thanks again for this feedback, I was looking for more than just what foods to eat. I was wondering about the cause as well.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »

Thanks so much for your response.

I don't feel I am in serious danger of significantly undereatingundereating, as this hasnt been a long term problem. I'm usually pretty good with my calorie goals, sometimes adjust up a few hundred for a couple weekends, eat back some exercise calories, etc. When I'm under my targets, I'm within 100-200 of my 1360-1400 target.
    I was concerned over those heavy exercise days and not having enough food, nor feeling very hungry. Some days it just happens where I don't eat a lot. I wanted to be sure I wasn't causing that to myself (one day of undereating causes the next,into a bad cyclical pattern or something), or creating a bad habit. I've heard people repeatedly say you must fuel your workouts with proper nutrition, which I try to do. But lately seems the more intense cardio, the less hungry I am.

Thanks again for this feedback, I was looking for more than just what foods to eat. I was wondering about the cause as well.

I've often found that I have far more appetite on the day after a workout, especially a big lifting day, than the day of. I see no problem with going with the flow the day you workout (ie being a few hundred calories under goal) and adjusting the next day to compensate for the extra hunger. I don't know if that's what happens for you, but food for thought (lol)
  • katie_moreau
    katie_moreau Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Drink some real fruit juice, or chocolate almond milk.