Anyone else out there who just doesn't like vegetables...

Options
Please share any recipe ideas if possible. Thanks.

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Baked, broiled, and grilled often work.
    I make sliced yellow squash in a George Forman grill with a little bit of salt.
  • jordy366
    jordy366 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Baked is the way to go if you don't like veggies. Also if you limit sodium in other food's adding salt doesn't hurt and it makes them sooo taste good. The more you eat them the better they become!!
  • takingcareofus
    takingcareofus Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Me too. I find I very much prefer cooked over raw.
    I also am likely to consume soup over straight vegetables.
    Can you isolate a preference?

How about any one or two vegetables you don't mind as much as the others?

If you were at a restaurant and it served___ as a side dish, and you'd try a bite, what was that ___?
  • amandanicole90a
    amandanicole90a Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I add butter and salt to cooked veggies and i use ranch or another type of dip for raw veggies... Even hummus is delicious for raw veggies... They get better the more you eat them
  • ekruska802
    ekruska802 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    There are lots of veggies I thought I didn't like because I'd always had them prepared wrong (boiled to the point of mush, for example). I really like food, generally, though. I tried checking various veggie-heavy cookbooks out of the library for ideas & bought the ones I like. I really like the Moosewood books, especially the Daily Special. It's soups & salads with ideas on how to serve them together. I also really love Ottolenghi's cookbooks, especially Plenty More. Tons of creative (and stunningly beautiful) ways to put veggies together.
  • squeeeyk
    squeeeyk Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    All veggies? Every single one? Have you tried to vary the method of preparation?
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Roasted with a little fat and seasoning.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I plug this book so often, but it's a wonderful book...

"The New Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone." The recipes are simple, there are a ton of them and many of them are really yummy. I've bought a lot of veggie books and this one was my first...and still my favorite. So many good ideas. Even if you don't really love a dish, you get so many new ideas that you can start doing your own thing.

It's also has lots of tidbits about what works well with other things. It's all very simply done, but gives you so much.

Worth it's weight in gold, that book!!

Keep working at making different veggies in different ways. You'll find some that you really like. It's worth the effort. :)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Keep trying.

Roasted vegetables with a little fat (or meat of some kind) are incredible.

http://www.italianfoodforever.com/2013/01/golden-roasted-brussel-sprouts-with-sausage-garlic/
  • Working2BLean
    Working2BLean Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Using some of the sprinkle type of chicken bullion helps give some flavor

It adds salt a bit too so you won't need to salt them

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I like my veggies. Can you narrow down why you don't like them? Is it a texture thing? Bitter flavours?

How about something like a cream vegetable soup? Raw carrots?