Couch to 5k

Options
I really want to get into running - it's free, burns calories and is apparently a really good de-stresser. Problem is I've never been a big runner. Just wanted to know has anyone tried the couch to 5k who had never really run before? and how did you find it when you were doing it. Not sure whether to do it or just go out and see what I can do!

Replies

• kristiek7
    kristiek7 Posts: 198
    Options
    I'm starting week 8 tomorrow. The program is perfect. I've not suffered any discomfort at all and was fully expecting not to be able to do it. It was exactly what I needed. Good luck!
  • dontstopnow
    dontstopnow Posts: 152
    Options
    Definitely try c25k. I'm starting week 4 next week and it has helped me tremendously! It eases you into it week by week. Plus its interval training which is really good for burning calories. Good luck with whatever you try! (:
  • Grumpelina
    Grumpelina Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I'm 36, haven't run since I managed to get out of PE at the age of 14 - and even then I'd cheat/take short-cuts at cross country!

I'm just about to start week 6 of C25K and am surprised at how I'm liking it - or rather - how much I'm liking the feeling of achievement after each run. I still find the running itself a bit dull though, to be honest but I'm completely determined to finish it. After running for longer than my alloted 20 minutes on Friday I also feel like I'll actually be able to complete it. 7 weeks ago the idea of me running for half an hour without stopping would have really made me laugh!

Go for it - it's a really good program!

(I use the NHS podcasts)
  • goose321
    goose321 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5k is a great program. I did it with my husband who is not a runner. It starts off slow and progresses every week. Some days are better than others, but you'll be glad you pushed through it. By the end of the program, we were running a 5k with ease and felt like we could have gone on forever! And some days it was really hard to get out there and do it, but when you do, you feel great afterward! Good luck! :)
  • jgranger221
    Options
    I just got back in from a 2 mile run. My time has gone down from about 24 minutes to 19:30 in just a few weeks. I've never run before, but when I started MFP I began using our elliptical machine to get in some cardio work. It started to get boring so I decided to try running for the first time in my life. I am going to start running farther to stretch myself out to hopefully run in a 5K some time in the fall. If I survive it, it will be a true couch to 5K success story!

Obviously you need a decent pair of shoes, and an iPod doesn't hurt either. You may want to mention your plans to your doctor and see what he/she has to say about it. But you're right, it's great exercise and it's free! Unfortunately for me, I live in New York and there's snow on the ground half the year, so running (outdoors it least) isn't practical for year-round exercise.

Good luck!
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I was never much of a runner, ran sprints in high school football and hated it, and would try distance running once and a while over the years and usually quit after a few tries...until I did C25K last fall and that worked! Finished it in November and ran the first of 7 races, a 5K in December. Since then I've run in a 5miler road race and one 10K on my own before injuring my foot at home. This program does work.
  • DancinSMartiPants
    Options
    Do it! It's perfect.

I had run before, but it always felt like punishment. Somewhere in the couch to 5k process I went from "liking to stop" to actually enjoying the running part. I had an app so I could listen to music and not have to concentrate on when to stop and start.

Good luck!!
  • ranewell
    ranewell Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I'm looking forward to starting the program once my Dr. gives me the ok (back and knee injury due to accident), My best friend never ran before, she completed the program and ran in a 5k last fall. She eased into it and had no problems. She continues to run now :)
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    This program worked so well for me. At age 38 I literally had never ran a single mile in my entire life!!! I decided it was time to get off the couch and shape up so I don't end up like my parents (sick or dead). 13 months later I'm a full-fledged runner training for a 1/2 marathon!!!!! Yup, it works. I used the Podrunner Intervals podcasts (free on iTunes) but there are lots of options. Running for me is only on Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday. It's important to take a day off between runs. I do strength training or something else (bike ride, long walks) on my other days. Trust me, your knees will thank you for starting this slowly.

Give it a try! Even my sister (who had never ran either) did it this spring and just did her first 5k with me and she did great!!! Ran the whole thing!!!!!
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I was NEVER a runner. Infact, last time i ran was in gr. 8 at age 12. I'm now 25 (almost 26). I started the C25K 8 weeks ago (starting week 8 tomorrow) & i could barely run the 1 minute intervals without panting like a dog in heat. TODAY @ week 8, I'm able to run for 30 minutes straight. C25K really conditions you & it's true, it's a GREAT de-stressor. When I'm upset, sad, depressed, frustrated, angry etc ..... i run. It's much more productive than comfort eating :)
  • Jessabelle12
    Jessabelle12 Posts: 145
    Options
    Thanks guys! :smile: