To gorge or not to gorge... that is the question!!

Options
I've been really good with food lately and only eaten around or less than 1800 calories a day, but sometimes I just feel like eating crap and pigging out...

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Maybe if you didn't have the idea that low calories is "good" and certain foods are "crap" then you may find the urge to gorge fades?
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Incorporating treats into your calorie goal might help with that urge or at least reduce it. Please don't eat fecal matter.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    I'm not quite sure road apples have the nutritional value you seek. In terms of labeling foods a good/bad/evil it may help to focus on incorporating a snack either daily or with frequency.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    When I feel like just gorging myself, I think of what I actually want to eat. Most of the time I can't even think of anything I'd really want to eat that I couldn't make for half the calories so I pretty much always end up telling myself that there's just no point, lol. But if there's a seasonal dish or something that I really want, I just make room for it, and if I'm a bit over, well, that's why I keep a deficit when I can. But usually I'll go have that big meal at lunch time and I'm not very hungry for dinner and end up under maintenance anyway... Saving calories for dinner just never happens for me.

In the end, the real pigs out only happen on Holidays, special occasions, and during PMS (but for the latter, it mostly involves bread and it's just not satisfying AT ALL).
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Dieting and then gorging is never a good idea. It can start you down the path to an eating disorder. Not to mention that gorging can make you very uncomfortable in the short term. ;)

Instead I'd suggest allowing yourself the flexibility to have more calories now and then. Many people plan a weekly cheat meal or cheat day. I don't know that thinking of "cheats" is a mentally healthy approach, either. But allowing yourself some flexibility? Yeah, that's a good thing IMO.
  • lavrn03
    lavrn03 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    When I feel like just gorging myself, I think of what I actually want to eat. Most of the time I can't even think of anything I'd really want to eat that I couldn't make for half the calories so I pretty much always end up telling myself that there's just no point, lol. But if there's a seasonal dish or something that I really want, I just make room for it, and if I'm a bit over, well, that's why I keep a deficit when I can. But usually I'll go have that big meal at lunch time and I'm not very hungry for dinner and end up under maintenance anyway... Saving calories for dinner just never happens for me.

In the end, the real pigs out only happen on Holidays, special occasions, and during PMS (but for the latter, it mostly involves bread and it's just not satisfying AT ALL).

I agree!! If I want to treat myself to a delicious "fun" meal, I try to eat it at lunch. I'm usually full for awhile that I eat a healthy snack for dinner.
    Other point I have is lately I've had a few special occasions and trips that I've allowed myself to indulge more. I find that it makes me feel so bloated and gross. I'm starting to not enjoy them.
    I miss my daily salads I make and healthy snacks. I always feel good at the end of the day.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    I like reading advice from all of you who have made it to maintenance. As I am in the losing phase.. If find "cheat days" pig out fests… a huge red flag. It bothers me that it has to be all or nothing with many "dieters" and it is sad to see that few achieve true balance that will work for the long haul. Also very few that gain control over food.. As food dominates their every move and thought. It is like they struggle no matter if they're in the losing or maintaining phase.. It is tiring to witness.
    My biggest fear is that this is just the way it has to be.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I've been maintaining for over 2.5 years...I occasionally over indulge, but I don't "gorge", even on feast days...I don't like feeling like I'm going to pop, it's just not enjoyable.
  • bclarke1990
    bclarke1990 Posts: 287 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Eating at a big deficit is going to cause a lot of mental and physical triggers in your brain; especially if you restrict foods too.

I think it's fairly natural to a lot of people
  • papadelta2124
    papadelta2124 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice all
  • AbsoluteTara79
    AbsoluteTara79 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Eat at maintenance for a day or two or three instead of "gorging".
  • ghostly_pet
    ghostly_pet Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    my limit is 1800, and normally only go to 1400 with what foods I actually 'need'. that leaves 400 for small snacks, but I'm hoping to stop all snacks soon. but a small snack every so often won't hurt (i don't think...?).

If your a athlete, or want to become one, I would suggest trying to cut all 'crap snacks' out of your diet.
  • BikeTourer
    BikeTourer Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    my limit is 1800, and normally only go to 1400 with what foods I actually 'need'. that leaves 400 for small snacks, but I'm hoping to stop all snacks soon. but a small snack every so often won't hurt (i don't think...?).

If your a athlete, or want to become one, I would suggest trying to cut all 'crap snacks' out of your diet.

There is nothing wrong with snacks. I lost and now maintain with three meals and 2 snacks. Snack doesn't have to equal crap. Processed food equals crap.
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I recently made some tiramisu, just because, and I truly wanted to gorge on it - eat the whole friggin pan! However, I did not tell myself no. Instead, I had a serving and put the rest away, telling myself I can have more in 30 minutes if I felt like it. Then I got busy and forgot all about it. I use diversions often and don't tell myself no. Those times I tell myself no? I start to obsess about that particular food and then I will gorge on it and feel ashamed later. Therefore, there is no food I will refrain from eating ... I just attach a few conditions on it in order to eat it. Yeah, it's a weird approach but it works for me.
  • Yisrael1981
    Yisrael1981 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with every now and then eating something unhealthy , just from my experience there is no such thing as getting it out of your system. If I eat cake and ice cream today to satisfy a craving, I will still want it in a few days from now
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Maybe if you didn't have the idea that low calories is "good" and certain foods are "crap" then you may find the urge to gorge fades?

This.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I hear ya. Sometimes I just really want a large volume of food. That's why I like intermittent fasting so much.
  • wendymoira
    wendymoira Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    When just I want a lot of food -- and occasionally I do -- I tend to go for meals that are heavy on veggies. I can eat half a cabbage sauteed with onions, apples, and a smidge of olive oil, but I am super full afterwards. Same goes for a chopped salad. Add in some lean protein, and I'm set.
  • homeschoolhrartmom
    Options
    I'm a binge eater, so I know what it feels like. What I did was change the foods I binge out on. I changed from donuts and chips to carrot sticks and raw cauliflower and other raw vegies. I also do binge out on popcorn without the butter. These are filling foods that don't add a lot of calories unless you add dips and dressings to them. When I first started doing this 10 years ago, I dropped 40 pounds really fast.

Also, try changing the time of day you eat your big meal of the day. I changed mine from 6-7 p.m. to 2-3 p.m. I did it so the food would be digested before I laid down for the night and it was fantastic.
  • Yisrael1981
    Yisrael1981 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    To me the equivalent of 'gorging' is eating a nice meal without counting calories like going to a restaurant and ordering something I like even though it's not too healthy or will probably put me over my calories. Real gorging on the other hand (like eating an entire cheesecake in one sitting as I may have done once..) I would not recommend .it can start you down a really bad path of bingeing and dieting away your binge