MN Warrior's Dash and or Experience with WD?

Options
Are there any MN peeps thinking of or already committed to doing the warriors dash? It looks like fun!

Who has done one? I don't want to hurt myself, bu it looks like so much fun!

Will you share your experiences with me?

Thanks!

Replies

• redfox43
    redfox43 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I'm signed up for the Warrior Dash on the 24th. This will be my first so I am a bit nervous!
  • jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I'm also signed up for the Warrior Dash in Minnesota in July. Looks like a ton of fun. I've just been running and lifting to train. Once a week I'll do intervals on the treadmill for 400 meters then hop off and do weight sets/push ups/etc to kind of simulate the race. Other than that I'm really at a loss for how to get ready for it!!

I have been experimenting more at the playground when I take my kids to the park. :) I am the weird mom dangling precariously from the monkey bars.
  • Jen1013
    Jen1013 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I ran the Warrior Dash in Ohio last weekend - it was SO much fun! I just did a lot of running to prepare, but I wish I had done more hill training (our course in Ohio was VERY hilly). We also had a lot of rain the night before, so there was about 3 inches of thick mud over the entire course, making the downhill portions particularly "interesting".... :wink: I still have some pretty impressive bruises on my legs but no real injuries, and I was ready to return to my normal running/workout routine within a couple of days. The whole event was very well organized and all the workers and volunteers were super friendly and helpful. I'm hoping to run it again here in Ohio in September!
  • rogerska63
    Options
    I also did the WD last week in Ohio and did one in IL last summer. Lots of fun, lots of mud (last year in IL was WAY muddier than the one in OH).
    To get ready I just did my regular runs and added some upper body workouts (but nothing prepared me for the hills in OH!)....no real injuries either year, just some bruises & scrapes.
    Some advice:
    1) Compression shorts under whatever you usually run in (last year I just wore my regular running shorts and got mud in places I didn't think was possible).
    2) They do a shoe drive at these events so I just wear my oldest running shoes and donate them at the end of the run
    3) I wore light-weight running tights this year - it cut down on the scrapes
    4) Do be careful and take your time if you're not comfortable with an obstacle. While thousands of people complete the WD with no major problems, I have seen some more significant injuries at both of the races, so just be careful!
    5) Even though they hose you off after the race, you'll still be pretty dirty. You can however, get a fairly good shower in your clothes at a car wash ;) (unless you don't live far away)
  • pjol79
    pjol79 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Wow, I've never heard of this, but it looks like a great time! There's no way I can make the one in July, but if there's one at the end of summer I may be there! Definitely going to try to do this next year.

Edit: Oh! There's one in WI mid September, I'll probably shoot for that one :D
  • StaceyL76
    StaceyL76 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your responses. They are helping me to decide if I want to do this yet this year. Being I have a weak ankle and knee, I am not sure if I should participate this year yet..
  • jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I also did the WD last week in Ohio and did one in IL last summer. Lots of fun, lots of mud (last year in IL was WAY muddier than the one in OH).
    To get ready I just did my regular runs and added some upper body workouts (but nothing prepared me for the hills in OH!)....no real injuries either year, just some bruises & scrapes.
    Some advice:
    1) Compression shorts under whatever you usually run in (last year I just wore my regular running shorts and got mud in places I didn't think was possible).
    2) They do a shoe drive at these events so I just wear my oldest running shoes and donate them at the end of the run
    3) I wore light-weight running tights this year - it cut down on the scrapes
    4) Do be careful and take your time if you're not comfortable with an obstacle. While thousands of people complete the WD with no major problems, I have seen some more significant injuries at both of the races, so just be careful!
    5) Even though they hose you off after the race, you'll still be pretty dirty. You can however, get a fairly good shower in your clothes at a car wash ;) (unless you don't live far away)

Great advice, thank you!!!