I drink coffee with 2 sugars and creams everyday

Options
Hi everyone. I'm a student and literally live off of coffee. I have one small coffee with 2 sugars and 2 creams like 6 days a week, if not every day! I know it's bad. If not a small coffee then I have a small iced coffee which has less calories but is still bad. Other than the coffee, I eat pretty healthy. Every time I drink coffee though, I feel like I'm cheating on my diet and that it ruins my healthy eating, and makes me want to give up. Sometimes I skip the gym cause of it. :(

My question is, would drinking this one cup everyday really hinder my weight loss? I have honestly tried black coffee or decreasing sugar/cream and I couldn't do it. In fact, 4 years ago I used to have my coffee with 4 sugars and 4 creams!! I definitely hope to quit one day but I want to be realistic with myself right now and say that it's not going to happen anytime soon. I would really appreciate any advice, thank you!!

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I had a coffee with two tablespoons of half and half and two packs of sugar in the raw every day, and lost 30+ pounds. If you're accounting for it and staying in a deficit, how would it hinder weight loss?
  • FitGirl0123
    FitGirl0123 Posts: 1,273 Member
    Options
    Nope! Not at all. I drank 150+ calories worth of creamer every single day on my weight loss journey and I lost the weight just fine.
  • Lida16
    Lida16 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    You're right.. I was just thinking about the fact that consuming the sugar and cream is bad even if i'm eating healthy otherwise. I guess I just needed to hear it from people who also drink coffee like I do. Thanks for the responses @arditarose @FitGirl0123 , I really appreciate it!!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Lida16 wrote: »
    You're right.. I was just thinking about the fact that consuming the sugar and cream is bad even if i'm eating healthy otherwise. I guess I just needed to hear it from people who also drink coffee like I do. Thanks for the responses @arditarose @FitGirl0123 , I really appreciate it!!

Food is not bad. There is nothing wrong with sugar, and there is fat in cream. Fat is needed in your diet. Why is any of that bad?
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Why do you think it's bad? Coffee has many health benefits. No worries at all as long as you log the calories from the sugar and cream you add. I drink much more coffee than you, and take each (large!) cup with two tablespoons of half and half and two packs of Splenda. And I'm certainly not worried about it! At all.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Just log it. I don't take cream, but whenever I put sugar in my coffee, I just log the calories. I don't even know how this COULD harm you.

• LaceyBirds
    LaceyBirds Posts: 451 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I drink about a 10 ounce cup of coffee around five days a week, with two or three tablespoons of Bailey's Macadamia Nut creamer - total comes to either 53 or 78 calories, with 10 or 15 grams of sugar. If I have Bailey's Cararmel creamer, then it comes to 73 or 108 calories, same grams of sugar. Three packets of Sugar in the Raw is 60 calories and 15 grams of sugar for comparison.

I have lost 59 pounds. I also eat donuts once or twice a week and ice cream about once a week - I just make sure I fit my daily caloric totals around them.
  • jordy366
    jordy366 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    This is a common misconception about trying to lose weight. It's your calories if you want to drink 150 calories in coffee a day it's OKAY!!! I do it everyday because I love it and it's something I don't want to give up. I've lost 35 pounds so far and I eat what I want as long as it meets my needs.

BTW coffee has antioxidant properties and is considered healthy for you. Yeah the sugar isn't the best but as long as you don't go over your sugar allowance you're all good.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    jordy366 wrote: »
    This is a common misconception about trying to lose weight. It's your calories if you want to drink 150 calories in coffee a day it's OKAY!!! I do it everyday because I love it and it's something I don't want to give up. I've lost 35 pounds so far and I eat what I want as long as it meets my needs.

BTW coffee has antioxidant properties and is considered healthy for you. Yeah the sugar isn't the best but as long as you don't go over your sugar allowance you're all good.

Given that MFP's sugar allowance is set rather low, I'm not sure one wouldn't be "all good" even if one went over. I regularly go over my sugar allowance and I lost weight consistently and am now comfortably maintaining. My doctor confirms that my health is good. Unless one has a medical reason to avoid it, I'm not sure it matters.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Sugar isn't inherently bad or unhealthy, cream isn't inherently bad or unhealthy and literal doesn't mean what you think it does. :)

Think of your overall diet and not individual components.

If you want to reduce the calories and maybe alter your taste buds then cut down the sugar half a teaspoon at a time. You cut down from 4 to 2 so you can cut down again if you really want to.
    If you don't want to cut own then don't, it's really not that big a deal to get uptight about - perspective!!
  • jordy366
    jordy366 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on what you personally believe about sugar. I believe it's not the best for you. So do many health organizations. For me it makes me sluggish and tired when I eat to much of it. I love sugar I'd eat dessert all day long but it's not realistic for me that's why I follow the daily allowance maybe you don't. That's okay. If you'd like to learn more about sugar and what it does to the body watch Sugar The Bitter Truth on YouTube.