Does Time Matter?

Options
2»

Replies

• mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    http://sciencenetlinks.com/science-news/science-updates/time-restricted-eating/
    This is a wee article I read in the new scientist which kind of made me rethink the late night eating issue. I have always rejected the anti-eating after whatever time is quoted, because of the food is food thought. I realise the experiments are on mice but it did make sense that it could also be true for humans. I fight this every day as I love, no more than that, I have a drive to eat in the evening, and find it difficult to sleep feeling hungry. Ahh the battles with our mind/hormons/genes. I did read somewhere that it makes sense in an evolutionary way to eat less in the day and more in the evening. The evening eating would have allowed our ancesters an early start on the hunter gatherer work! less valuable time needed on the morning refueling. This could be linked in with the research above, if eating later means more fat storage then its an efficiant way to eat when food is scarce. But for us this leads to obesity. Ive rambled too much but it is an interesting topic for me!!

That a very interesting article ... I'd love to read the original study, too.

The big thing I wanted to point out is that the big differences were seen in a group fed a high-fat diet (while calories were held constant). For those on a regular diet (again same calories) the difference was much smaller, and it didn't state whether it was significant.

That may make it more challenging to extend to humans. I'm not a biologist, so I don't know what increased fat does to a mouse. They normally eat a diet composed of grains and vegetative substances, don't they? So they may respond differently to increased fat, even with the same calories, as a human would. (Not changing thermodynamics, but some possible effect on their activity or metabolism - there was a big change in blood work too). But then, how does a smaller window of eating, basically IF, change that. Hmmm....
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    This is a wee article I read in the new scientist which kind of made me rethink the late night eating issue. I have always rejected the anti-eating after whatever time is quoted, because of the food is food thought. I realise the experiments are on mice but it did make sense that it could also be true for humans. I fight this every day as I love, no more than that, I have a drive to eat in the evening, and find it difficult to sleep feeling hungry. Ahh the battles with our mind/hormons/genes. I did read somewhere that it makes sense in an evolutionary way to eat less in the day and more in the evening. The evening eating would have allowed our ancesters an early start on the hunter gatherer work! less valuable time needed on the morning refueling. This could be linked in with the research above, if eating later means more fat storage then its an efficiant way to eat when food is scarce. But for us this leads to obesity. Ive rambled too much but it is an interesting topic for me!!
    Aren't mice noctrunal though? Makes sense that they would be more actively eating at night.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I find eating later in the evening affects my blood glucose levels the next day, even if it is carb free, but it doesn't seem to affect weight loss.
  • trswallow
    trswallow Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    mathjulz wrote: »

That a very interesting article ... I'd love to read the original study, too.

The big thing I wanted to point out is that the big differences were seen in a group fed a high-fat diet (while calories were held constant). For those on a regular diet (again same calories) the difference was much smaller, and it didn't state whether it was significant.

That may make it more challenging to extend to humans. I'm not a biologist, so I don't know what increased fat does to a mouse. They normally eat a diet composed of grains and vegetative substances, don't they? So they may respond differently to increased fat, even with the same calories, as a human would. (Not changing thermodynamics, but some possible effect on their activity or metabolism - there was a big change in blood work too). But then, how does a smaller window of eating, basically IF, change that. Hmmm....

Another question is what did the mice do when they were not eating? The only way to guarantee that one group has constant access to a limited amount of food is to dose them with food every couple hours. The 8-hour group would be dosed more frequently and/or more per dose. By time the constantly fed group starts thinking about food it might be time for another feeding. On the other hand the 8-hour group might be spending a lot of the 16 hour fast scrounging around for dropped food and other activities that would increase Calories Out.

Without knowledge of behavior/activity level the rest has little meaning. It would be like talking about calories and weight maintenance of two people without disclosing the one has an active job and runs marathons, and the other has a desk job and sits around watching TV the rest of the time. They both eat the same number of calories but one is gaining ten pounds per year, maybe it's meal timing. :smiley: