For those lifting, do you do cardio too?

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    I love to eat, so I do a fair amount of cardio. I do 4 days of lifting, 4 days of steady state cardio, and I do some simple walking most days as well. I end up trying to average about 20,000 steps a day (although that includes my elliptical time).

• Facetious73
    Facetious73 Posts: 9 Member
    cardio as in steady state no. I will do sprints but I won't do more than 10 minutes 5 times a week. I used to be heavy into steady state and I can still probably do a 5 minute mile at 44 if I got back into it for a month but I lose far too much muscle when I train that way.
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    my gym sessions are very random, sometimes I can go 5x's a week, other times it's just once a week. So in my situation I do 30 min of cardio and then head to the weights for 30 min and then occasionally I'll hit the treadmill and walk it off for 15 minutes after that. I know from where my body is right now that I can/should drop some cardio esp if I'm going 5 x's a week, but damn it's been hard.....I think I'm addicted.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Before starting Insanity yesterday, I was doing 90 minutes of heavy lifting 2 days a week and 4 days of doing HIIT workouts. Now that I'm doing Insanity 6 days a week, I'm cutting my weightlifting back to 1 day a week.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    edited November 2015
    One day a week I run outside for about 30-40 minutes. I lift 4 days a week for about an hour each workout.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,979 Member
    edited November 2015
    I lift 4x a week for around 60 minutes and run once to twice a week for 3-3.5 miles.
  • USAFmaa
    USAFmaa Posts: 8 Member
    I lift twice a week and do cardio every day. I don't lift as much anymore, I'm more partial to body weight exercises. Pushups are a favorite. Used to hate the dickens out of them but now I like them .
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    3-5 hours a week in the winter. 8-12 hours per week in the summer.
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Yes
  • Clarewho
    Clarewho Posts: 494 Member
    Yes! It's essential to look after your heart. On lifting days (3 pw) I'll just do a 15 min warm up probably elliptical or rower and nothing after my weights. Outside of the gym, 2x 5k pw plus a longer run at the weekend. Oh yeah and just added a Pilates session as well but I don't really count that as exercise, more just a conditioning/posture thing. I find it works for me but I know more serious lifters are wary of too much cardio.
  • lbaxandall
    lbaxandall Posts: 62 Member
    I usually lift 30-40 mins 5x a week, with 10 mins cardio before and 10 mins cardio after each session. Keeping my lungs and heart healthy! And who doesn't like a good sweat to end their session!
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Because of my schedule, I lift twice per week (each session is about 2 hours). I run 3.5-4.5 miles twice per week (the first mile is HIIT). And then I jog/walk 5.5-7.5 miles a couple times per week. In addition, I try to get 10,000 steps per day outside of exercise. We'll see how well I do with that once El Nino hits. :smiley:

I stretch after every workout, use a foam roller and yoga balls to relax tight muscles.
  • cyronius
    cyronius Posts: 157 Member
    I'm the opposite. I'll do cardio by preference. I run 5km 3 times a week with the odd longer run thrown in. In addition, I cycle commute to work 14km each way most days.

Lifting for me is simply something that I have to do as part of a rounded approach to being healthy. Unlike running (and cycling to a lesser extent), I don't enjoy lifting.
  • marissafit06
    marissafit06 Posts: 1,996 Member
    I lift 3 days a week and run 3 days. I also do a lot of walking/low speed bike riding.
  • JNason2014
    JNason2014 Posts: 2 Member
    I do HIIT for both my cardio and weight training. I like to be in and out within 30 minutes on both. I just started back to the gym after years off and am trying to burn fat while retaining muscle. The short intense workouts work for me. I am building (or muscle memory) and loosing fat simultaneously. Good luck on your journey
  • summerkissed
    summerkissed Posts: 730 Member
    edited November 2015
    7min of plyometrics 5 days a week that's it! My weight sessions are fully timed though so I get a good workout each time (3days a week).....but I'm a very active woman I live on property so I'm always doing something
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    I don't do any. Personal preference. I also complain about having a low TDEE yet refuse to do cardio...The thought of doing cardio will keep me out of the gym though, so I go do my lifting thing 4x per week and try to stay active in my daily life.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Mycophilia wrote: »
    The only cardio I get is when I'm doing high-rep squats and deadlifts.

Yeah. My front squats are my cardio.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    I'm a cycling enthusiast and I lift weights. Weight training makes me a better cyclist. Volume is dependent on the seasons...I ride a lot less in the winter and spend more time in the weight room...the winter is a good time for me to do "heavy" lifting cycles in the gym because they kill my legs but I don't need them as more for cycling in the winter.

I ramp up my riding in the spring to get ready for the season and my fitness approach is pretty balanced. As I move into summer, I spend a lot more time on my bike and usually only a couple of days in the weight room as I'm participating in events and need to stay fresh...and also, it's just too damn nice out to not be on my bike.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Lift about 6 hours a week, tons of cardio (triathlete).