New to Forum. 21 Day Sugar Detox Buddy? (Monday Nov. 30)

Options
Hi guys,

I'd say I'm a MFP novice and looking for a bit of guidance as I continue down the path of fitness and health. I'm 26 years old and have enjoyed great success with weight loss in the past (330lbs down to now 198lbs) over several years, but I have begun to become less and less tolerant the rollercoaster-like weight fluctuations I've experienced the past few years. I have tended to generally stay between 195 and 210lbs during this time, and am seeking success with both losing furter weight, getting stronger, gaining muscle, and feeling and looking better. In doing this, I also believe it will help with feelings of anxiety and insecurity with myself and my body that I've had in the past and do experience still, at times.

I've enrolled in a "holiday bootcamp" for 6 weeks at my gym (started a week ago, twice a week), I workout from home doing the Power 90 Beach Body videos, and have also begun to train with weights.

Nutrition wise, I'm beginng the 21 Day Sugar Detox program Monday November 30, and am seeking a buddy or group that would like to participate. Logging my food intake is very new to me, and seems a little daunting, but I feel it's neccesary and will provide a lot of insight into how and what I'm eating.

I also welcome any advice about nutrition, health, and fitness. If anyone lives in the central/mid New Jersey area and would want to meet up for a workout sometime, that would be great as well.

Thank you all!

Dev

Replies

• mwebster01
    mwebster01 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Hi I would like to join you on the 21 Day Sugar Detox program, however can you give me information about it?
    iow is there a website with more info? do I just limit my daily sugar intake?
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    What logical reason is there for a pseudo -detox?
  • emhunter
    emhunter Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    Hi Dev

The word "detox" and the phrase cutting back on sugar are controversial here. Don't be discouraged or put off by it. I have a friend on here that would be a great addition as he has lost a lot of weight, will be featured on bodybuilding.com, and he's super helpful. Message me if you're interested.

Good luck with your detox, I might just join you :)
  • brianpperkins
    Options
    Barring a drug overdose or poisoning, there is no reason for a detox. The word is not controversial, the lie that foods "detox" you simply gets countered when presented.
  • MCcallingDEV
    MCcallingDEV Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your responses, much appreciated.

I also appreciate the feedback on the 21 Day Day Sugar Detox. I'm not so tied up in the word "detox" nor "sugar dextox." I did not set out with a goal of specifically trying a detox right now, for example. However, I have a set out to greatly reduce the amount of processed foods, alcohol (I do love my wine..), and added sugar in my diet. I'd like to eat much more naturally, and also learn more about foods, ingredients, and how my body digests them. I should also mention that I am a nursing major, and as one that works in the health field right now, I don't want to just promote good health, I want to live it.

Diet and nutritional programs are a personal choice, and I have decided that I will be doing this program for the 21 days, and taking it from there. I'd like to experience this pseudo-detox for myself and then build upon that, see what my body reacts well to, and what it does not. That said, I've researched this diet quite a bit, and I definitely welcome any further positive or negative feedback about this program.

mwebster, please search for information on google or this website if you'd like to learn what it is comprised of.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Best wishes OP
  • brianpperkins
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Thank you all for your responses, much appreciated.

I also appreciate the feedback on the 21 Day Day Sugar Detox. I'm not so tied up in the word "detox" nor "sugar dextox." I did not set out with a goal of specifically trying a detox right now, for example. However, I have a set out to greatly reduce the amount of processed foods, alcohol (I do love my wine..), and added sugar in my diet. I'd like to eat much more naturally, and also learn more about foods, ingredients, and how my body digests them. I should also mention that I am a nursing major, and as one that works in the health field right now, I don't want to just promote good health, I want to live it.

Diet and nutritional programs are a personal choice, and I have decided that I will be doing this program for the 21 days, and taking it from there. I'd like to experience this pseudo-detox for myself and then build upon that, see what my body reacts well to, and what it does not. That said, I've researched this diet quite a bit, and I definitely welcome any further positive or negative feedback about this program.

mwebster, please search for information on google or this website if you'd like to learn what it is comprised of.

So you based your entire thread title on words that you apparently do not mean. Got it.

Googling the plan reveals a pay plan ... not shocking at all. A plan that costs while contradicting all scientific logic is usually one it is wise to skip experiencing.

A true sugar detox requires avoiding all vegetables, fruits, and dairy since they contain sugars.

• TheBeachgod
    TheBeachgod Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Welcome to mfp and good luck with your goals. You're in a great place to learn more about foods, ingredients, and how your body digests them. You've already had excellent results with weight loss without doing a 21 Day Sugar Detox Diet (I'm guessing) so it should be readily apparent you don't need this. Look at some of the threads here about ______ detox and you'll see they don't get much love.

Get a digital food scale, weigh and log everything, learn how to set up your macro and realistic weight loss goals and be diligent and you will be amazed.
  • MCcallingDEV
    Options
    brianpperkins,

Hi Brian. Your mention of a payment plan threw me for a loop. There is no pay plan with Diane Sanfillippo's plan that I'm following; just a book with background, recipes, and a food journal area. Here is a link so we're on the same page: http://www.amazon.com/The-21-Day-Sugar-Detox-Naturally/dp/1936608111

Hope you didn't take it as a dig what I used your term pseudo-detox. I actually like that term, and that's also why I chose this "detox," because it isn't a detox/cleanse in the traditional sense, at least to me. When I think of those terms I think of liquid diets, or juice cleanses, things like that. <-- I have unfortunately tried a couple of 3-Day juice cleanses in the past, which is not a route I'd again take. This is very different.

The thread title is based on the name of the book. I understand your point about what a true sugar detox is; this would not be that. However, since I did not personally title Sanfillippo's book, there isn't much I can do about that. Definitely a more accurate way to describe this is a somewhat lower carb diet with no processed foods and avoiding added sugars (I've only just began the book, so don't quote me on the 100% accuracy of that). Appreciate your insight.

• MCcallingDEV
    Options
    So everyone is clear I am talking about Diane Sanfilippo's 21 Day Sugar Detox : http://www.amazon.com/The-21-Day-Sugar-Detox-Naturally/dp/1936608111

"By focusing on quality protein, healthy fats, and good carbs, this program will help you change not only the foods you eat, but also your habits around food, and even the way your palate reacts to sweet foods. You'll likely complete the program and continue eating this way much of the time thereafter because you'll feel so amazing. After changing your everyday eating habits, you will begin to gain a new understanding of how food works in your body--and just how much nutrition affects your entire life."
  • MCcallingDEV
    Options
    thebeachgod,

Thank you for your advice. I do have a digital food scale. I've previously been unwilling to log my foods, foolishly thinking my own "guestimating" was enough. I'd eat healthily and exercise, and while I would feel better, and definitely notice myself getting stronger and a little toned, the weight would not come off, or I'd gain it. Then I'd get discouraged and stop it all. This time I will be logging everything, and like you mentioned, learning how to set my macros. Any helpful links you recommend?
  • TheBeachgod
    TheBeachgod Posts: 825 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    macronutrientcalculator.com/

Mine is at 40/30/30 which is the same as Zone Diet but I'm not doing Zone or any other diet. These are some cool sites with helpful tools:

iifym.com/ They do have some B.S. like fat burners and meal timing matters articles but is a good site overall.

nerdfitness.com/

scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

• brianpperkins
    Options
    brianpperkins,

Hi Brian. Your mention of a payment plan threw me for a loop. There is no pay plan with Diane Sanfillippo's plan that I'm following; just a book with background, recipes, and a food journal area. Here is a link so we're on the same page: http://www.amazon.com/The-21-Day-Sugar-Detox-Naturally/dp/1936608111

Hope you didn't take it as a dig what I used your term pseudo-detox. I actually like that term, and that's also why I chose this "detox," because it isn't a detox/cleanse in the traditional sense, at least to me. When I think of those terms I think of liquid diets, or juice cleanses, things like that. <-- I have unfortunately tried a couple of 3-Day juice cleanses in the past, which is not a route I'd again take. This is very different.

The thread title is based on the name of the book. I understand your point about what a true sugar detox is; this would not be that. However, since I did not personally title Sanfillippo's book, there isn't much I can do about that. Definitely a more accurate way to describe this is a somewhat lower carb diet with no processed foods and avoiding added sugars (I've only just began the book, so don't quote me on the 100% accuracy of that). Appreciate your insight.

Books cost money. She is just one of many that pander to the (all too often gullible) masses to make money. There are reasons why the diet industry generates BILLIONS of dollars yet America keeps getting fatter.
  • MCcallingDEV
    Options
    Thanks, thebeachgod. I'll take a look at those!
  • justvclark
    justvclark Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm not cutting out sugar, but I am trying to reduce my family's sugar intake from the current level. Let me know if you find any recipes you really like. I found a copy of this book at my local library by searching their website. I'm sure other libraries have copies too. Just an idea for anyone looking to borrow rather than buy.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you have a picture in your head of what you are striving toward. There is nothing wrong in moving toward foods that you feel provide you with greater nutrition and a better balance. I sometimes will make choices based on what my macros are looking like toward end of day. It's not often perfect, but trying to get a nice healthy balance is important.

You may find that after a few weeks of logging here that you are getting a great idea of what fits and what doesn't, or at least which items take a little more time to work in. There are many helpful posts which have been created by longstanding members here who have done research and prepared some great informative posts. You can find them "stickied" at the top of several of the forums. The ones at the top of the general diet and weight loss help and also at the top of the getting started forums are most helpful.

Considering you are looking at losing weight, but also want to build muscle, you may wish to ask questions on the gaining weight board as well. These folks are mostly looking at strengthening and bulking, they would have information which is more specific for your situation.

Best of luck to you, and don't get too hung up on the sugar detox crap. It's just about making money through confusing people.