Not a diet...

Options
2»

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    scolaris wrote: »
    Well it's gotten to that point where change is visible and family, friends, acquaint enhances ask
    'Sooooo, what DIET are you doing?'
    'You doing one of those super low calorie DIETS?'
    'What did you give up for your DIET?'
    And I just smile sweetly & say, 'oh no diet. Just some new hobbies...'
    Like biochemistry, accounting, nutrition, sports psychology, ethics, economics, and religion.
    Hahahahahahaha

Yep.

• Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    Even my doctor asked about my method of weight loss and from the look on his face he was a bit surprised when I told him...eat less...move more. That surprise I assumed was because many of his patients wanted to do the fad diets.

My husband would love you as a patient! He always tells his that it all comes down to energy in/energy out--they need to eat less and (ideally) move more. Few have taken him up on that advice...and their bodies are not thanking them.

Relatives ask me how I lose my pregnancy weight each time and my answer is always "I run a lot. And don't eat as much." ::crickets::

I think that there are many doctors that are a little intimidated when they have a patient come in that has done their research...my GP was. He finds it easier just to eliminate certain things. So I learned to just nod my head and go home and do it my way. I think that when I brought up sodium mgs and the ratio of sodium to potassium it was more than he could handle!

My cardiologist and orthopedic surgeon both just had a look of shock but were on board. Both just said keep doing what I was doing except for a few restrictions that I needed to follow during recovery. Then back to business.

I would think that most doctors would be frustrated knowing that their patients won't follow a "eat less/move more" as a way to manage their weight loss.
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I can't wait to get more visible results and see if people start asking me about what diet I was on... o:)
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    Oh it's a comin' <3
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Oh it's a comin' <3

I like the cut of your jib. Keep up the good work and disappointing your friends with your boring weight loss secrets.
  • susanjh212
    susanjh212 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Best to adopt a lifestyle change. I'm in a weight loss challenge that has guidelines as to what to eat and when - 6 meals per day every 2.5 - 3 hours - and of course, it requires 5 exercise classes/week for 6 weeks. You could say it's a "diet" but I do not feel hungry in between meals and the results starting showing after the first week: I've lost ~7lbs of the 20 I am going for, am no longer needing to take my BP meds (after 20 years, my BP is normal!!), and I'm caffeine/gluten/sugar/alcoho FREE and nearly fat free. Sleeping much better too. I'll keep you posted. Extremely motivated to finally get my normal weight back, lose the tummy and feel good about my body/self.
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    OP, I love your new hobbies, strange how we have such similar interests. Most of my friends know I had a health issue and they assume correctly that my diet restrictions are due to that issue. That diet has little to do with counting calories, I could easily gain weight and stick to my diet. Rumor has it that I am out walking everywhere. Many assume that is why I am losing weight. Only my closest friends know I am counting calories and doing strength training, but one of them is a real blabber mouth so the secrets out by now I am sure.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    But magic!
  • scolaris
    Options
    Hahaha! @daniwilford We would have a LOT to talk about on a long walk! tee hee
  • scolaris
    Options
    I know... Sighs... In my real home magical skittle pooping unicorns really do make you thin! And tall! And above average! If I could only find a way to teleport back
    ~snorts~
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I have to admit it's always been easier to just say "just eating less and moving more" or "trying to watch what i eat and be a little more active". That way you're giving them an actual answer, and you aren't giving them too many details unless they ask. But it also doesn't come off as condescending.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    I know... Sighs... In my real home magical skittle pooping unicorns really do make you thin! And tall! And above average! If I could only find a way to teleport back
    ~snorts~

FTW!