Curious about OA (12 step fellowship)

Options
I'm curious as to whether anyone has ever attended Overeaters Anonymous.
I attend a different 12 step fellowship for another issue and have found some helpful parallels that I can use towards the mental-emotional aspects of food.....
Just wondered if anyone has tried that venue?

Replies

• juliebowman4
    juliebowman4 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    .....or if anyone has used anything else to address any emotional/psychological issues surrounding their relationship with food...
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I haven't, but I'm a big fan of twelve stepping because it's helps so many people. This has come up on the boards before and (like everything else) some people are big fans while others couldn't stand it. :)
  • juliebowman4
    juliebowman4 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Thank you
    After I posted it....I thought 'duh Julie....not everyone would be comfortable outing themselves'
    It just seems there is a lack of willingness to discuss the psychological aspects of ones relationship to food......I have to wonder if that hinders permanent success.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    I've been to OA and AA for myself, and attended a great number of AA and NA meeting with friends and family.

If people are helped by the 12 step model, I think that's great. I personally find Step 1 dis-empowering. I do have power over food. And alcohol. Etc.

I found the Rational and Smart Recovery cognitive behavioral models more helpful.
    http://www.smartrecovery.org/
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMART_Recovery

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    The model is flawed because it asks people to give up their power.
    Weird.
  • chelseamckell
    chelseamckell Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I've been curious about it...
  • alittlelife14
    alittlelife14 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I have been curious about it too... I need it
  • MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I would image it would be usefu
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I've been to OA and AA for myself, and attended a great number of AA and NA meeting with friends and family.

If people are helped by the 12 step model, I think that's great. I personally find Step 1 dis-empowering. I do have power over food. And alcohol. Etc.

I found the Rational and Smart Recovery cognitive behavioral models more helpful.
    http://www.smartrecovery.org/
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMART_Recovery

Thank you for posting your information regarding Smart Recovery. As a previous memeber of the Bill W. club (for years) I would get very frustrated with some of their philosophies, and for being treated as person who has no ability to control one's consumption (food, ETOH, etc). I really feel that though beneficial in some aspects, 12 step programs transfer the dependence from one thing onto the program itself, thereby creating a situation where the person is still stuck in a state of dependence.

I didn't have access to Smart Recovery in my area so I went with cognitive behavioral therapy once I left treatment. I wanted my life back and didn't want to be defined by my addiction for the rest of my life as I view it as a momentarily set back in the grand scheme of things. While 12 step programs offer community, I feel that they people keep trapped in that mindset so they are always on the edge of their addiction and are not able to fully grow and progress away from their addiction.

OP - I'm not knocking 12 step programs. I feel they are beneficial early on as it really helps to move forward knowing you are not the only person with that problem or those behaviors. However, it's much more liberating to address the root cause of your overeating and retrain yourself on how you deal with stress, emotions, and how it relates to your eating habits. I absolutely recommend you go to a few meetings to check it out. You may hear some really useful information, but also keep in mind you are NOT powerless. You are in full control of your life. You choose how you respond to it. You choose how much food you are going to eat. It's never easy to change longstanding habits, but it's not impossible. You will have good days and bad days, it's how you choose to respond to the bad days that will make or break you. I wish you the best!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    sarsather wrote: »
    I have been curious about it too... I need it

I'm afraid it would reinforce your disordered thinking about food. Maybe discuss this with your psychiatrist.
  • wanderinjack
    wanderinjack Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I can only tell you my experience. Been in 12 steps programs for years and it has taken a long time to get to the "exact nature" of the problem and call myself recovered. OA is the program I work the most but I don't go to many OA meetings. I find most OA meetings to me very slippery and seems like they are the blind leading the blind, stuck in the mess and not the message. People using the meetings as a captive Audience of ppl to listen to their sad tale of rejection and loss. That isn't recovery. I work my OA program entirely out of the BB of AA. When I started doing that everything changed for me. The only OA meetings I go to is a phone meeting that is easy to find on the web called OA Hour of Power. This is big book based OA recovery and works for me. I hope everyone finds what works for them. Good luck!
  • wanderinjack
    Options
    I've lost 85 pounds in 12 step programs and now an the same size I was when I graduated from high school (and was a boxer). Check out OA Hour of Power. This is a very strong phone in group with people all over the nation.
  • pitbullmamaliz
    pitbullmamaliz Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    When I was younger, I went to a couple OA meetings. I'm sure each one has it's own "flavor," but the ones I attended were very much, "we are victims of our weight and food and there is nothing we can do." Even back then I didn't like that mindset. I'm not a victim, unless it's of my own lack of recognition of what I was doing to myself. I find CICO very empowering.
  • wanderinjack
    Options
    I totally agree with the OA pity party victim scene and that is why I quite going. I don't need to here other people's sad story, I have my own thank you very much.