Help! Tips needed for starting exercising when obese

Options
I'm "level zero". As in, morbidly obese and can't do a single sit-up to save my life. I've lost 40 lbs so far by diet/portion control and walking around the block, which is embarrassingly hard. I want to add some "strength training" to start to help with strengthening core/glutes/back to ease low back pain and tight hips. But All the how to videos for "beginners" I've found are too long and hard for me still. Ideas or tips of what I can start with?

Replies

• cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I don't have advice but just wanted to say congratulations on losing 40lbs! That's amazing! You have nothing to be embarrassed about. 40lbs is A LOT to be proud of!!! :smiley:
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I've been where you are!

http://jgnatbuzz.blogspot.ca/2015/02/before-and-after.html?m=1

If an activity is too much for you right now, modify it to your capacity. You will gradually and reliably get stronger.

Try a push-up off the wall. As it gets easier, step farther away from the wall.

Forty pounds down is a major achievement. Walking is a major achievement. Give yourself a little generosity for how far you've come.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    just keep walking...and like jgnatca mentioned, wall push-ups to start and maybe some body weight squats. don't do sit-ups...they are a horrible exercise. the only people that should be doing sit-ups are those that have to to pass a PF test for military/law enforcement, etc. they really are a horrible exercise...if you want to work your core, start with planks.
  • VisofSer
    VisofSer Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    We all start somewhere. Walking is excellent and you should continue that. In fact, here are some ideas on making it a progressive program as well - Evaluate and then Select.

Beyond this, modify any exercise that seems useful down until you can do it. If no other abdominal work is available now, this will do - Ab Vacuum. Some trunk twists without weight, or with a medicine ball/bag of sugar might do as well. Beyond this, simply reduce the range of motion, angle, or weight of the various exercises until you can do them. Also be aware that the site I linked above has a break down of exercises and their attached muscles, so you can get a list per area for something like back or abdominals, and muscles that work them. Might be helpful.

Depending on how much weight is left to go, because 40lbs is outstanding, you may find you experience an increase in soreness and unexpected pain for a while as your body adjusts to the reduction in pressure from the weight loss.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    If you're morbidly obese, you've been weight training your whole life. Carrying around over 100lbs or more on your limbs takes muscle and with the excess calories, there's muscle built under there. By reducing your weight, you'll get to a point where it will be more comfortable to do some other exercises, but focus on what you can do right now if it's still challenging.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    For back pain, focus on the ab vaccuum and/or abdominal bracing, and practice it *all throughout the day*. Traditional strength exercises aren't as effective.
    For the hips, try these 2 stretches for 20+ seconds every 2-3 hours:
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=YQmpO9VT2X4
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qZ517Rw7ME
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    @alphastarz, it is great that you are wanting to expand your exercise routine beyond walking, but do go slow and take baby steps. Yes push your self and try to do more than the week before, but don't overdo it and hurt yourself.

Here are 2 routines that you may find useful.

HASfit is a hand weight one where you do as many reps as you can of an exercise for 30seconds. If I was you I would watch through it, taking notes, a couple of times, then do it at your own speed. You could start doing 1 set,and work your way up to the 3 sets. Once you can do the 3 sets with light weights, up the weights.

Nerdfitness is a set of body weight exercises,

I wouldn't do the jumping jacks at the end of it as they would be hard on your knees right now. Instead jog/walk in place doing the arm movement.

As others have said, start push-ups against the wall, then table or counter, then on the floor on your knees, then a full push up ( it took me months to get to a full push-up).

Squats, just bend to a chair, then stand back up just before you sit. Hold onto the arms if you need to. Progress to a foot stool, or something low, then to a squat.

Planks, start on your knees and forearms and work the seconds up. Try for 5, then 10, etc. once you ate comfortable with that position, progress to a full plank.

Lunges, start with just a big step bending your back leg as far as comfortable, hold onto something, chair back, counter, for balance to begin with.

Dumb bell Rows, use a light weight and build to a heavier one over time.

Cheers, h.

Nerdfitness:

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

HASfit:
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=U0bhE67HuDY
  • alphastarz
    alphastarz Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Ok, some great ideas and encouragement here.
    I had thought all the low back pain was potentially from the new increase in walking or weak core generally, but it was a very interesting and valid point as well that I possibly lost enough to shift my posture. I'm encouraged by this that it is temporary and my body will adapt soon. Meanwhile I will be looking into all the great exercise ideas I can start incorporating slowly to help things along. I already trialed the hip stretches today and was amazed, could tell difference in tightness and pain almost immediately. Thanks all, mfp community is the best!!!!

• AlciaMode
    AlciaMode Posts: 421 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Keep going forward
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Leslie Sansone is excellent for some cardio and anyone that has mobility can do her exercises! Check her out on youtube, her home page or you can typically find her DVDs for cheap at Walmart (maybe $9?). She incorporates resistance bands, which would be good for beginner use.