Intermittent fasting and a late period

Options
I recently started IF in October and I am four days late. I'm wondering if intermittent fasting has something to do with it?? I've read that sometimes this happen to women, however I'm young and not married nor have kids, but in the future I'd like to have some. I don't want to jeopardize my chances. Ladies doing IF, input would be nice.

FYI: I'm not pregnant!

Replies

• myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Maybe PCOS ?
  • kimbelle_vie
    kimbelle_vie Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I hope not! I'm only 22 and been regular all my life
  • maymama1813
    maymama1813 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I recently missed my period last month due to fasting (& stress?) & I got my period this month.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    I recently started IF in October and I am four days late. I'm wondering if intermittent fasting has something to do with it?? I've read that sometimes this happen to women, however I'm young and not married nor have kids, but in the future I'd like to have some. I don't want to jeopardize my chances. Ladies doing IF, input would be nice.

How many calories are you eating per day? (Either the weekly average, or your day by day goals)
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    IF can mess up female hormones. Try 16:8.
  • kimbelle_vie
    Options

How many calories are you eating per day? (Either the weekly average, or your day by day goals)

On fast days I eat 500 and on non fast days I don't keep track, but around maintenance.
  • rerez2015
    rerez2015 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    It can happen. Only 4 days late??? I wouldn't worry yet.
  • kimbelle_vie
    Options
    I think I'm going to skip IF this week. Hopefully I'll start soon.
  • WinterSkies
    WinterSkies Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    Stress on the body can delay ovulation, which in turn will delay when your period starts. It could be that IF was stressful enough to dot that. I would highly recommend looking at "Taking Charge of your Fertility" by Toni Weschler if you are interested in the details. I don't bother counting my full cycle length any more - I can identify when I have ovulated, and then expect my period 12-14 days later. While the time between your period and ovulation can be quite variable, the time between ovulation and your period is very predictable.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    Have you been engaging in other activities instead of eating breakfast?
  • kimbelle_vie
    edited November 2015
    Options
    UPDATE: I started my period last week. Now I'm wondering if I should continue with IF??
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    UPDATE: I started my period last week. Now I'm wondering if I should continue with IF??

Are you finding it easy to do? Is it helping you with your goals?
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Why not give calorie cycling a try and see how you get along. I started 3 weeks ago and have lost weight. I eat 11555 calories per week broken down like this: 1200 calories Tuesdays/Fridays, 1500 Mondays, with the other four days being higher. My highest days are for the weekend when I am at my weakest. I tried 5:2, but found it was too much on my body so decided to up my calories on low days to 1200, it has worked out much better for me. Some days I dot even eat the full amount of calories. I also do not eat back my exercise calories, because I am never hungry.
  • kimbelle_vie
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

Are you finding it easy to do? Is it helping you with your goals?

Very easy! I love it. On my non-fast days I don't have to limit myself which makes things easier.
  • kimbelle_vie
    Options
    socajam wrote: »
    Why not give calorie cycling a try and see how you get along. I started 3 weeks ago and have lost weight. I eat 11555 calories per week broken down like this: 1200 calories Tuesdays/Fridays, 1500 Mondays, with the other four days being higher. My highest days are for the weekend when I am at my weakest. I tried 5:2, but found it was too much on my body so decided to up my calories on low days to 1200, it has worked out much better for me. Some days I dot even eat the full amount of calories. I also do not eat back my exercise calories, because I am never hungry.

Interesting!! Tell me more, how do I start?