Is Goal Weight Too Low?!?!?

Options
Okay, I've been doing some calculations this morning on body fat (calculation format) and evaluating my goal weight. Right now, I'm at 174.5# with 27.21% body fat (calculation method with measurements). That puts me with 127# of lean body mass. If I were to continue to lose the weight I WANTED to lose (29# more), I would have to lose a lot of lean body mass (16# of lean mass at that weight to be at 23% fat.) I know it's not ideal to lose that lean weight! Keeping lean mass is important!!

However...I calculated a goal of 23% body fat, and if I keep my current lean body mass of 127#, I would only need to get down to 167# to actually be at 23% fat...provide all the weight I lose is actual fat!!

My questions.....
1. Have others used this type of method of calculating their goal weight??
2. Am I setting my expectations too high to try to get myself down to 145#??

I have had people at work tell me I'm "withering away" and getting "too skinny". I don't see that and I'm still wearing size 14's and I would very much like to be solid size 10's!! Maybe I'm being silly!???

Thoughts?!?!?

Replies

• helenium
    helenium Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Bear in mind your body fat %age calculation may have a large error associated with it.

Also perhaps one of your calculations is off. I calculate that you need to get down to 165 to be at 23% fat. = (127 / (1 - 0.23)).

For 5"4 it still sounds high, unless you're muscular and large-framed. I'm 5"4.5 and currently look podgy at 154.5 lbs.

Is that US size 14 or some other size? US size 14 I think is still going to be an overweight weight (as you say), so I'm not certain that your work colleagues are saying what they're saying out of pure concern or out of jealousy. If UK 14, that's an average size for a woman (more understandable for your current weight), but not 'too skinny' or 'withering away'. Sounds like you have jealous colleagues.

Just my rambling thoughts, hope they're constructive.
  • hottamolly00
    hottamolly00 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I'd like to hear more about this... but my 2 cents are...

DON'T LISTEN OR GIVE A FLYING CRAP ABOUT WHAT ANYONE AT WORK TELLS YOU. What they're saying to you is not supportive and probably just jealousy.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    Although you will probably lose a bit of your lean body mass along with the fat (it's very difficult not to lose at lease some muscle when you are eating at a calorie deficit), your adjusted goal weight sounds reasonable.
    I'm 5'10" and currently weigh just under 190 pounds - although my BMI would indicate that I shouldn't weigh more than 173.4 lbs to be in the "normal" range, my body fat % is currently 26.5%. I don't want to be skinny and, like you, I am currently a size 14 and am fit and healthy as I am, although I would like to get just a little bit leaner. I only want to lose another 10 pounds, and that would be healthy based on my current body fat %.
    I say focus on being fit and healthy instead of on the scale, although (as I said above), the revised goal sounds good.
  • craft338
    craft338 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    i just took a look at ur pics, and ur only 5'4"...so i THINK that losing an additional 29lbs would be a bit much. i think you look FANTASTIC and you look like you're at your "healthy weight". i would guess that the MOST you should lose (if you really wanted to) would be maybe 15lbs?

i'm not expert and maybe pictures aren't the best way to tell, i'm just sayin you look GREAT =)
  • hermanaamber
    hermanaamber Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I think you look beautiful and very healthy, by no means skinny.
  • hermanaamber
    hermanaamber Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • cmbneeley
    cmbneeley Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    i've wondered this also. i tried to calculate my BF% by using measurements and and online calculator tool. According to that, I would be in the same dilemma. But then I had a BodPod measure my BF%, and it was much higher than the measurements reflected (and the BodPod is more accurate). It's important to measure properly (which is hard to do!) to get an accurate reading with those measurement tools. And much can depend on you body shape. Talk with a doctor if you're concerned about making a healthy goal.

But seriously, I commend you for being more concerned about your health and body composition than the scale number. You've got the right idea. Keep up the hard work!
  • Spayrroe
    Spayrroe Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I've never done my own calculations, but there's this neat Polar machine at my gym that the trainer took all my info on. It measures what percent of your weight is lean muscle and what percent is body fat (i'm not sure how, so I just assume it's magic :laugh: ) and deduces your body's "age".

According to the bmi charts, top end of my 'healthy' bmi is about 150lbs. According to this machine though, my ideal weight is about 180lbs. I have a larger bone structure, and started out with pretty good muscle mass (and am still doing strength training to build more). So, I think if you're building good muscle, it may make your ideal weight a bit higher since muscle is denser than fat and therefore makes you heavier. I know I read on one of the forum posts where someone argued that a pound of muscle still is equal to a pound of fat because a pound is a pound, but I vs a block of tissue the same size (I hope that made sense). In any case, I would go for the healthy body fat percentage weight and ignore what the card board cut out 'correct' weight for your height is. Those things fail to take so many important factors into account that they could be telling you to actually drop down to an unhealthy underweight situation.

Hope this helps! I know I'm certainly happy about having 30 less pounds to lose just because the time was taken to calculate based on my specific body what was right :wink:
  • lovebeinGIGI
    lovebeinGIGI Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    My issue is I know I carry mroe muscle, I always have thanks to serious weight training I did for a few years in my early 20's!! I did machine weights plus free weight training with my exhusband. From then on, even after I gained weight, if I had my body fat calculated, I was told I carry a lot of lean mass.

As for my coworkers, not sure they're really jealous but of the mindset of "thick women" are acceptable, their culture I believe. I don't let it bother me, I just continue to do what I feel is right for me.

I'm going to focus on my body fat calculation more now but still pay attention to the scale some. But I don't know if I will actually ever get down to 145#. I can tell it's getting more difficult to lose the weight now than before. You know what they say, those last pounds are the hardest to lose!!

Thanks for the replies!!
  • angp7711
    angp7711 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    What made you pick the 23% goal. I have been thinking about using bodyfat% as I get closer to goalinstead of a goal weight as well but I just haven't found a realistically accurate way of measuring it.
    As far as your co-workers they could mean well but from your profile pic I don't think that you are withering away. You look incredible and healthy. I think a size ten at 5 4 is very reasonable goal I have had family members tell me I've lost too much but I think it is because I lose fast from the top down. My hips and thighs and lower waist still need a lot of work.

Another way to go about it would be to just continue to work out and eat well at a level that is maintainable for you and your weight could just level out.
  • katie_on_a_mission
    Options
    Either pick a goal weight or pick a goal body fat percentage--not both!!

Good luck :)
  • lovebeinGIGI
    Options
    What made you pick the 23% goal. I have been thinking about using bodyfat% as I get closer to goalinstead of a goal weight as well but I just haven't found a realistically accurate way of measuring it.
    As far as your co-workers they could mean well but from your profile pic I don't think that you are withering away. You look incredible and healthy. I think a size ten at 5 4 is very reasonable goal I have had family members tell me I've lost too much but I think it is because I lose fast from the top down. My hips and thighs and lower waist still need a lot of work.

Another way to go about it would be to just continue to work out and eat well at a level that is maintainable for you and your weight could just level out.

I picked 23% because it's in the "middle" for fitness body fat. That may change, I don't really know. Just testing the waters really. While I use to do a lot of weight lifting 20 years ago, I'm not a fitness guru now. Just want to be healthy. Actually, according to the body fat chart on the site I used, 27% is the upper end of acceptable!!!! 25% was the lower end of acceptable! Maybe I'll go for 25%. Not really sure now.....trying to see what my body wants to do and is willing to do without extreme measures! Need to just think about things for a while and see what happens without focusing so much on ANY number whether it be my weight or body fat%.
  • lovebeinGIGI
    Options
    Either pick a goal weight or pick a goal body fat percentage--not both!!

Good luck :)

I agree...that's why I put ???? on my "Goal Weight" now....really not sure anymore!!
  • lovebeinGIGI
    Options
    Thanks again for the posts, ideas, encouragement and compliments!!! Helps to get feedback from others!!!
    God Bless!!
  • whatupskinnyjeans
    whatupskinnyjeans Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    i think 140 is good for 5'4" but it also depends on muscle mass. the reason your coworkers are saying you look skinny is because u have lost alot of weight and compared to ur high height u DO look skinny. im having the same thing said to me and ive only lost 20 lbs. the funny thing is that my family hasnt commented as much as people who know me more recently because i used to be much thinner and what i weigh now is really fat for me. so u do what feels good to u.and pick a weight youll be comfortable to maintain.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    At 140 I still have double chins, which is why my favourite weight is around 120. You really do look gorgeous now, so stop wherever you feel comfortable. You can always lose more later if you change your mind.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    My only comment is that OH MY GOD you do NOT look 40!!!!
    That current pic in the pink tank top that says it was taken in 2011?
    You're FORTY in that pic?????
    I would have guessed 23. You look younger than me and I'm 34.
    :happy:
    Whatever you are doing, you are doing SOMETHING really right!
  • lovebeinGIGI
    Options

Wow...thank you!!!!! Really made my day!! LOL Yes, that pic in the pink tank was actually taken Mother's Day, May 8, 2011!!
    And to think I'm also a Grandma :) Honestly...my secret for looking young....no sun! I have lupus so I can't be in the sun anyway. Not to mention I stopped the "sunbathing" when I was 19 years old! :)
    Thanks!!! :)
    God Bless!!
  • Kirsty_UK
    Kirsty_UK Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    You're 40? *insert eyes popping out smiley here because the site doesn't have one*
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options

Wow...thank you!!!!! Really made my day!! LOL Yes, that pic in the pink tank was actually taken Mother's Day, May 8, 2011!!
    And to think I'm also a Grandma :) Honestly...my secret for looking young....no sun! I have lupus so I can't be in the sun anyway. Not to mention I stopped the "sunbathing" when I was 19 years old! :)
    Thanks!!! :)
    God Bless!!

I just pointed to your pic and asked my honey "how old is this girl, first guess, quick"

he looks and says "17"....lol