Venison

Options
Khovde07
Khovde07 Posts: 508 Member
Alright all you hunters and hunting widows, spill! What's your favorite venison recipe? My hubby got his first deer a few weeks back and now I'm so excited to have as much venison as I want! I usually make a venison stew, but I'd like to branch out. Tonight I'm doing venison steaks with marinade. What's your go-to recipe?

Replies

• Darklords
    Darklords Posts: 3,175 Member
    Options
    my family loves curried venison, and my son likes when I make hamburgers with it. Curried venison is easy, however I don't have the recipe handy will love for it and send it to you if you would like...also try pounding outa steak flat then spread canned ham or crab or what ever you like inside, then roll up and wrap with bacon and bake in the oven. You can fry if you like.. it is good. Can you tell I eat alot of venison :)
  • Khovde07
    Options
    Oh my god, that stuffed roll sounds to die for! How do you make sure that the inner part of the roll is fully cooked while the outside isn't dry?
  • Darklords
    Options
    if you put bacon on it , it shouldn't get to dry, I bake it roughly 40 mins you can tell like any other kind of beef. but I would recommend making sure it is cooked all the way thru. Venison is a lean meat so you will always need to add some kind of fat to it when you cook. I also make a taco salad and instead on hamburg I use venison. I have a friend that says she won't eat venison but she love that salad and goes back for more.. lol she has no idea it is venison, if cook right people can't tell
  • Khovde07
    Options
    Yum! Any recipes you're willing to part with, I would be happy to take off your hands! :smile:
  • Darklords
    Options
    sent you a fr req
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    I don't get it often but I like to marinade it in some A-1 and blackberry merlot. and then cook as you normally would. slow cookers are nice because they don't dry it out as much
  • Khovde07
    Options
    I've seen a lot of marinades, but I've never seen one suggest any kind of wine before. That sounds delish!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I don't have any specific recipes (I'm boring... I just cook it plain or in place of hamburger in other recipes). But since you are new to cooking venison, I am going to suggest not using very high heat for cooking. It is easy to burn on the outside and be uncooked on the inside, or to overcook if you grind it.

This is from experience... my first venison cooking went badly because I was used to fatty beef and I didn't consider that leaner meats cook differently.
  • Khovde07
    Options
    I don't have any specific recipes (I'm boring... I just cook it plain or in place of hamburger in other recipes). But since you are new to cooking venison, I am going to suggest not using very high heat for cooking. It is easy to burn on the outside and be uncooked on the inside, or to overcook if you grind it.

This is from experience... my first venison cooking went badly because I was used to fatty beef and I didn't consider that leaner meats cook differently.

Yeah the cooking can be very tricky. I grew up with venison (my family are big hunters) and my dad always ended up overcooking it. But then again, he did his beef steaks well done as well. Yuck!

Most of the venison in my family went to make jerky, beer sticks, and summer sausage, but I'm looking to branch out. Of course, I'm still going to make some of those and I'm going to can some of the meat as well (never done it before, but can't wait to try!), I've just never had so much of a selection of cuts before!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »
    I don't get it often but I like to marinade it in some A-1 and blackberry merlot. and then cook as you normally would. slow cookers are nice because they don't dry it out as much

Venison and blackberry go fantastic together. Two of my friends who are chefs made Christmas dinner one year: Venison roast with blackberry glaze, gruyere mashed potatoes and butter nut squash souffle. One of the best meals I ever had. I guess venison can be dry if you don't cook it right, but this was done perfect. I think you have to slow roast it.
  • MadDogManor
    MadDogManor Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    moyer566 wrote: »
    Venison roast with blackberry glaze, gruyere mashed potatoes and butter nut squash souffle.

Drool!!
  • gigieatss
    gigieatss Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Chimichurri! Yes, that sauce tastes AMAZING with venison! :)
  • wincal
    wincal Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Last week I made General Tso Chicken but replaced the Chicken with small venison chunks from a recipe I found online. I added broccoli and served it over rice. It was so darn yummy!
  • rbakedq
    rbakedq Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    A few of my favorites: Venison steak au poivre, but with blackberry brandy, venison stroganoff and venison bolognese.
  • rats2010
    rats2010 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    My husband loves taking the tougher cuts of venison and tossing it in the crock pot with onion soup mix and some beef boulion cubes. It comes out tender and with a nice flavor to it, great for sandwiches or just with veggies on the side. So far, crock potting and oven bags with lots of spice seem to take care of the over-cooking or toughness issues for us.
  • rats2010
    rats2010 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Also adding bacon to the burger grind makes a nice change for grillers!