How many calories am I burning?

Options
I am doing yoga to help me with my weight loss. I have been doing fast-paced yoga DVD 4-5 days a week that not only help with flexibility and strength but the poses and pace helps burn fat. I just don't know how many calories I am burning doing yoga at an aerobic pace. Is there a general rule that can help me determine how many calories I am burning for 45 minutes worth of exercise? Thanks!

Replies

• pixieval
    pixieval Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Found this website, don't know how accurate it is because.. well its on the internet *wink* lol, but I'm using it a few times for calculating calories burned

http://www.healthdiscovery.net/links/calculators/calorie_calculator.htm
  • Rabbit09
    Rabbit09 Posts: 5
    Options
    Thanks for the link! This will definitely help me!
  • NuttyBrewnette
    NuttyBrewnette Posts: 417 Member
    Options
  • rnichola
    rnichola Posts: 3
    Options
    very cool site - thanks!:smile:
  • BethanyMasters
    BethanyMasters Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    There's a lot of things on the internet to give you a rough estimate but if you want something accurate I fully recommend a heart rate monitor that shows calories burned.

They can be a bit pricey but very much worth the investment. Polar brand is very good and reasonably priced. I think retail for a Polar FT4 was 79.99 at my local Dunham's but I got one on ebay for 60$ including shipping.

It's my new favorite toy. It's super motivating to watch the calories burned number tick up while you exercise.
  • timeforme23
    timeforme23 Posts: 461
    Options
    Yepp, a Heart Rate Monitor is the way to go. I have a Polar F40. Love it!
  • Spayrroe
    Spayrroe Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    If you're interested in getting an hrm, I recommend looking on Amazon.com. I got my Polar FT7 on there for under $90 and opted to wait a couple extra days to receive it by taking the free, but slower, shipping.

I used to do yoga, and even at a slow pace that burns a lot of cals! Those poses really work the muscles (and in ways that no other type of exercise does!) both in the the strain it puts on the supporting muscles for the pose as well as engaging so many different muscle sets to help your body maintain the balance required to hold the pose. You = much more hard core than me to do it at an aerobic pace! :drinker:
  • Rabbit09
    Rabbit09 Posts: 5
    Options
    Thanks all. I never thought about getting a heart rate monitor before, thanks for the advice!