Help with cals/TDEE

Options
Hello!

I'm a 28 y/o female, 5'2 ft. I started with 286 pounds (highest weight) in the summer of 2012, and lost about 36 pounds between that summer and October of 2014, because I started to exercise more (e.g. cycling to work mainly). Didn't change the eating.

In October of last year something clicked, I already knew MFP and started serious using MFP and exercise to lose weight (Starting weight October 2014: 250 pounds).

Today I weigh 193 pounds, but lately I noticed lack of energy and feeling low. I went to my GP, who tries to monitor me once in a while and she asked me about my eating. I saw in my diary that I started to eat less and less, and that my netto cals were getting to a point that's no good. Also the losing weight part was getting worse, and in reaction I ate even less. Vicious circle...

I hope that somebody can help me with TDEE and cals to give me a better understanding of how much I can eat and still lose (1 pound a week would be more than fine, my first weight goal is around 150 and then it's time to evaluate).

I bike to work and back 4-5 times a week (it takes me about 25 minutes for 7.5km one way), and exercise 3 times a week (usually between 1-2.5 hours each time). Exercise is a combination of cardio, weight training and classes like bodyshape, sh'bam and bodycombat. I have a desk job for 36 hours a week.

MFP now has me on 1420 cals with eating exercise back to lose 1 pound a week.

Thank you!

Replies

• leahcollett1
    leahcollett1 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Hi hun - ive just put your stats into IFYM calculator and its coming up with about 1766 calories a day ( this includes any exercising you do). ive put you at lightly active for your bike rides and then 3 times a week exercising. this formula only works well if your exercise is consistent week on week and you dont want the hassle of woring out your exercise calories burnt so you can eat them back - i currently do this method and i too eat 1700 calories a day im 5.7 and weigh about 218lbs. i do body combat 4 times weekly every week. this method is only an estimation you have to begin with this then tweek as nessecary.
  • mikevandewetering
    mikevandewetering Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    lets see, this is what i normaly use:

BMR = 370 + (21.6 x LBM)Where LBM = [total weight (kg) x (100 - bodyfat %)]/100

Again - these are BMR calculations. To convert to a TOTAL requirement you need to multiply the result by an 'activity variable'.
    This Activity Factor is the TOTAL cost of living, NOT JUST TRAINING. If you train 1 hr a day - CONSIDER WHAT YOU DO THE OTHER 23 HRS! It includes work, life activities, training/sport & the TEF of ~15% (an average mixed diet).
    Average activity variables are:
    1.2 = Sedentary (Desk job, and Little Formal Exercise)
    1.3-1.4 = Lightly Active (Light daily activity AND light exercise 1-3 days a week)
    1.5-1.6 = Moderately Active (Moderately daily Activity & Moderate exercise 3-5 days a week)
    1.7-1.8 = Very Active (Physically demanding lifestyle & Hard exercise 6-7 days a week)
    1.9-2.2 = Extremely Active (Athlete in ENDURANCE training or VERY HARD physical job)

- To ADD weight: ADD 10-20% of the TEE to your TEE calories
    - To LOSE weight: SUBTRACT 10-20% of the TEE to your TEE calories

hope it helps
  • EJRaven
    EJRaven Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you, I think MFP is almost correct with their 1420 and eating at least a part back of the exercise cals. It's so hard sometimes to not eat less and less because the scale doesn't move or move as hard as I would like. Based on your system @mikevandewetering, would you say I'm sedentary or lightly active?
  • mikevandewetering
    mikevandewetering Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    i would say ligtly or moderatley active so start with 1,4-1,5 and see how it goes and addept based on that
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Probably over exercising. More is not always better, especially with exercise. Way too much cortisol which stalls any weight loss.