Thanksgiving

Options
Any suggestions or tips on what to avoid on Thanksgiving? Or do you have portion tips? Any help is appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Stay away from trigger foods that you have a hard time stopping eating. First, go for protein, then fill your plate with veggies, then add some of the fun stuff like mashed potatoes, stuffing and sweet potato casserole. To eat slowly and not over eat. It's so hard, I am hoping I can stick to these tips!
  • justrollme
    justrollme Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I would suggest not avoiding anything that you like. As far as portions go, try to pay attention to when you feel satisfied. Savor your favorites and have a lovely day!
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Honestly? I'd advise you to ease up on yourself on Thanksgiving. Why must you restrict? It's one day. Enjoy it.
    You aren't going to ruin the process over a single celebratory day.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Eat the pie. Friday, go back to counting.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Avoid overthinking and worrying. It's one day. Enjoy your friends and family, and have smaller portions of things you normally do. Some things aren't "worth" the calories to me, so I'll slip something I like less for a bigger portion of something I like more.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    I suggest avoiding aunt Edna. Seriously, she'll bring the whole mood down talking about her bunions and bursitis. Not to mention she's got something lit 10 cats at home so she'll be sure to trigger allergies.

Aunt Edna, avoid aunt Edna.

And Uncle Roy, for other reasons.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    it is one day out of 365 ..eat the food, enjoy the time with family and friends, and then get back on track the day after. yes, I will log on Thanksgiving but it will in no way be accurate, and I plan on shooting for 5000 + calories.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    JenMc14 wrote: »
    Stay away from trigger foods that you have a hard time stopping eating. First, go for protein, then fill your plate with veggies, then add some of the fun stuff like mashed potatoes, stuffing and sweet potato casserole. To eat slowly and not over eat. It's so hard, I am hoping I can stick to these tips!

or, just eat what you like, don't stress out over it, and get back on track the day after.
  • OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Don't buy into the idea that someone will be offended if you don't eat a particular thing. I've seen a lot of posts where people say "I don't want to be a downer for everyone else by not eating XYZ". Honestly, if anyone's paying that much attention to what you're eating, they have a problem. You're not going to ruin anyone's holiday by not eating a particular dish. Decide for yourself what YOU are comfortable eating, and stick to that.

For myself, I'm going to eat little bits of everything - I'm hosting and it's all food I like. But I'm serving lots of vegetable dishes that would be better for me to eat "too much" of, so I'm not tempted to eat "too much" of things I know I need to restrict. If you're hosting, make sure to have a "safe" food (mine is going to be celery and apple salad). If you're not hosting and you know the host well enough, see how they'd feel about you bringing a large green salad or a veggie platter for everyone.

Think about it, look at how many threads there are on here about trying to decide what to eat or not eat on Thanksgiving. I'm pretty sure you won't be the only one at your gathering who's stressing over what (not) to eat. You may find a lot of people are very happy to have a salad along with whatever else is being served. When I started serving green salads at holiday meals, everyone in my family was really happy about it!
  • piheart
    piheart Posts: 122 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    My mom is on MFP and we are making all the food, so lucky enough to be weighing and logging ALL of our recipes together. I am planning to eat like I normally would on Thanksgiving (everything in sight) and am truly excited to see what the exact count will be. She, on the other hand, plans to stay within her goals for the most part because she has started more recently than me and does not want to get off track. She may go over a little, but plans on getting back on track the next day if necessary. I'm also going on a long run that morning to offset some of the damage, while she will take a leisurely walk. Do what works for you. If taking one day off track (but still logging, ideally!) is going to completely derail you at this point, don't go overboard or follow some of the advice about filling up on protein and veggies and watching portion size very carefully. If not, log it, and move on!
  • anl90
    anl90 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Still eat what you want, but just make it smaller portions! I had a 'Friendsgiving' last night, and found I was still completely content with what I had, and it was probably half the calories I would have normally ate. Don't worry too much, and just make sure to get back into the swing of it following the holidays!
  • skipjd
    skipjd Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Only have one glass of wine! Alcohol makes me throw caution to the wind....so to speak.
  • brittney_mills
    brittney_mills Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    LDyer1975 wrote: »
    Any suggestions or tips on what to avoid on Thanksgiving? Or do you have portion tips? Any help is appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Okay, so my advice is a little different from everyone else's. Yes, it is just one day, BUT you don't want to sabotage yourself and end up bingeing. Go ahead and eat, but DO watch your portions. And I would only eat ONE dessert. I see a lot of people during Thanksgiving get like three different desserts because they all look so good and can't choose. Be strong and eat only one piece of pie or cake or whatever you have for dessert. Then weigh yourself the next day to see the damage done and that will motivate you to continue counting calories. I don't know about your body, but for me, one day of bad eating does mess me up a little. I usually gain a pound or two.

Hope this helps. Happy Thanksgiving!

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    I suggest avoiding aunt Edna. Seriously, she'll bring the whole mood down talking about her bunions and bursitis. Not to mention she's got something lit 10 cats at home so she'll be sure to trigger allergies.

Aunt Edna, avoid aunt Edna.

And Uncle Roy, for other reasons.

Uncle Roy. <shudders>

OP, enjoy your meal! Try eating it a bit more slowly. Hopefully that way your "I'm full!" signal will kick in well before you've omnomed your way through your third helping. ;)
  • missblondi2u
    missblondi2u Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    My plan is to bank some extra calories each day until Thursday, that way I have a bit of a buffer. I'm also going to make sure I get at least one good walk in on the day of. Other than that, I plan on eating what I want and just enjoying the day with family.
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    justrollme wrote: »
    I would suggest not avoiding anything that you like. As far as portions go, try to pay attention to when you feel satisfied. Savor your favorites and have a lovely day!

That
  • ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I know it's just one day, but there are a lot of special days in the year so I do think it's worth going in having a plan. If nothing else so you don't feel bad the next day or the next week when you wonder why you're weight loss has stalled. Or if you know you can avoid feeling bad the next day, etc. more power to you. Enjoy it and get right back to your routine on Friday.

My best advice for any special days you know will challenging is to pre-log the things you know you are likely to encounter. That may help you decide what's worth it to you and what's not. For example, I know the food that is totally worth it to me is turkey breast, pretty much all veggies that aren't swimming in butter, some cranberry sauce and one healthy slice of pumpkin pie. The other stuff just doesn't seem worth it to me when I add it up so I will do my best to limit those and focus on I really want.

I agree that no one really cares what you eat or don't eat as long as you don't make a big show of it.
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    Don't be afraid to try everything, but don't be afraid to leave food on your plate. Eat slowly, protein first, small bites, savor it, try it all. When you get to the point of being full, get rid of your plate, grab a glass of water or wine or a diet coke, and stop eating. If nothing else, set a timer on your phone. If in 90 minutes it goes off and you still want a bite of something, then go have another bite. Or even two bites. But pace yourself.

Oh, and take a picture of your plate when it's loaded and just before you dump it. That way, you can log the food you ate, accept that the numbers are what they are, and Friday you can move on knowing what you did, knowing you enjoyed it, and without guilt.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    LDyer1975 wrote: »

Okay, so my advice is a little different from everyone else's. Yes, it is just one day, BUT you don't want to sabotage yourself and end up bingeing. Go ahead and eat, but DO watch your portions. And I would only eat ONE dessert. I see a lot of people during Thanksgiving get like three different desserts because they all look so good and can't choose. Be strong and eat only one piece of pie or cake or whatever you have for dessert. Then weigh yourself the next day to see the damage done and that will motivate you to continue counting calories. I don't know about your body, but for me, one day of bad eating does mess me up a little. I usually gain a pound or two.

Hope this helps. Happy Thanksgiving!

how can one day of overeating sabotage yourself?
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    Honestly? I'd advise you to ease up on yourself on Thanksgiving. Why must you restrict? It's one day. Enjoy it.
    You aren't going to ruin the process over a single celebratory day.

^^Great advice. It is one day. Eat it. Enjoy it. Log it. Just don't let it lead to just one more day ( I did that and it turned into decades). Get back to your normal routine on Friday.

This is my 4th Thanksgiving on MFP and my 2nd on maintenance. Really, one day will not make a difference, and you have to have a sustainable plan for life in order to keep the weight off once you are at your goal.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!