Stress Cravings - Help!

Options
So I have a couple of presentations and exams coming up at college. The recent weeks have been great with exercising, eating healthy and always staying under the calories limit. But in the last two days (while preparing for the due dates) I have been craving chocolate and sweets really badly. Even after eating a bit of chocolate it ididn't quite get better. ;-(

What are your strategies to cope with stress instead of eating bad stuff? I am quite scared of falling back into old patterns and becoming again a crazy candy addict.

Thanks for your advice!

Replies

• elena99
    elena99 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    If you have cravings for chocolate, I would include small amount of dark chocolate (more then 70% cocoa) in your diet - usually helps me overcome mine. Also fat-free sugar-free hot chocolate or sugar-free chocolate pudding (a couple of spoons does the trick). I find that with cravings it's more the cravings of the mouth, not the body :) I usually keep my mouth busy with gum. Hope that helps!
  • cscoggins
    cscoggins Posts: 17
    Options
    I'm curious about this too! What things do you all eat to help with cravings for sweets?
    I have found
    Jello Sugar-Free Dark Chocolate Pudding
    Peppermint Patties (the mini ones)
    Skinny Cow Products
    Whole Fruit Sorbet
    Apples wedges dipped in a dollop of peanut butter
    Toast with a bit of Jam
    ... I don't know... almost anything I've found is still pretty bad for you, or it doesn't taste very good. I'm not a fan of fake sugar, tho...
  • staceyoldt
    staceyoldt Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    the south beach diet helped me eliminate cravings for junk/bad carbs within 2 wks on the strict phase; if i want something sweet, i try to get something low in calorie like Jello mousse temptations (60 calories and sugar free); or carb master yogurt. It doesn't always give me what I'm really wanting (the chocolate brownie with buttercream icing)...but I can keep it under control easier; also.... the timing of when you eat the carbs is important....
    if you're eating the chocolate on an empty stomach it's going to spike your blood sugar and you're going to want more. if you eat it with a meal it is slower to break down and won't cause the blood sugar spikes which cause you to crave more carbs (principles of the south beach diet...which helped me lose 35 pounds in 5 weeks