The last hours of the day, and I stop caring...

Options
What do you do to stay motivated during times you just don't care?
I'm back for the 18th time. I need help. I am so motivated morning until about 6pm when I return home from work, then it all goes to pot. Even when I eat small meals all day. I just get home and fall into bad routines. I am tired, and just want comfort food or a glass of wine (which usually causes me to start eating more). I am thinking of breaking up my exercise so I do it in the morning when I am motivated, but also save some at night, to hopefully give me that lift that a workout gives. What do others do? I wish there was some kind of "help" line I could reach out to everytime I feel myself slipping into my "well, I'll start again tomorrow" mentality.

Replies

• seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    I hold myself responsible for keeping my food log accurate. I enter anything I'm going to eat before I eat it so that I can decide if I really want to eat it and how much of it I can have while staying within my calorie goal. If I decide to go over my calorie goal, that's an informed choice that I'm making and I have an accurate log of it. That way, I can look back and see if maybe I didn't have enough protein or fiber or if I just made a choice to go over.

I used to eat without thinking about it. Mindless snacking and even mindless meals. Now I'm completely aware of everything I'm consuming and that gives me the control.

As someone said, it's not motivation but determination. I will do this, even if I don't really want to do so.
  • jacklifts
    jacklifts Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    i have issues overeating when tired. i suspect most people do as well, as will-power reserves are diminished. best thing to do is establish night habits that you want, so that you don't need to use will-power. until then, you can fast during the day or eat minimal foods, and just eat at night.
  • shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    Options
    I try to eat a snack near the end of the work day so that I'm not ravenous when I get home. Also, maybe try to meal plan? So you know what you are having for dinner. I try to log my meals ahead of time, which helps me avoid changing to something less ideal. I do the same with my exercise! You tube "lazy girl couch workout" for a 10 minute routine from Pop Sugar! It's hard but really gets you going and you can modify it to your needs. Then you can feel like you at least did something in the evening! Or maybe resistance bands? Those are great for strength training, cheap and there are lots of routines on You Tube for them. Good luck! Add me if you like!
  • truckersgirl102411
    Options
    I have major motivation problems as well. But you can add me if you would like, and maybe we can give each other a boost.
  • Wacekmama
    Wacekmama Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    If I want chips during my TV time at night, I put the bag on my kitchen counter and a BIG tumbler of calorie free beverage at easy reach of the couch. Then I only allow myself two chips for each trip from the couch to the kitchen. No matter how good they are, my lazy wins out after about four trips and I stay on the couch and fill up on lemon water.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Start with smaller changes to your habits and give yourself time to get used to them. For example, right now, focus on making logging a habit. Even if you go over, make sure you log EVERYTHING. Get that habit under control, then make other changes. It's ok to make small changes slowly. In fact, that tends to make the whole process easier on you and much more sustainable. Yes, it's slow, but it's better than going all out, burning out and giving up.

If you're getting hungry at the end of the day, take a look at how you split up your calories and adjust. I had to adjust mine so the bulk of my calories are end of day, for dinner and a late snack. That helps me stay on track, gives me options for dinner with HSpoon, and usually lets me have a late night snack since I stay up later. Also, your calorie goal may be too aggressive. I don't know what you entered, but if you set your goal to 1lb a week, you'll get more calories to use and that can help.

You also don't HAVE to exercise to lose weight. If you want to exercise, that's good as it's beneficial in many ways, but it's not necessary to lose weight. So if you're having trouble adding it or adjust it right now, you don't have to deal with it at this point in time. Get your logging and calories in under control, then go back to it.

Lastly, learn to motivate yourself. Take a good, honest look at WHY you're losing weight, not what others have said or what you think it is. It doesn't have to be 'to get healthy' either. That wasn't mine and a lot of people have other reasons. Finding that internal reason makes it easier to stay on track. Accept that you'll mess up from time to time, you're only human. When that happens, log it and move on. Don't look at it as "well, i screwed up so i have to start over". You're not starting over, you just hit a speed bump on your road. This is a life long journey, so treat it as such. After all, you want the weight to stay off, yeah?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I suggest that your will-power (which is a limited resource) is used up by the evening. This is my danger zone as well. So you need to build new strategies so either your will-power won't matter, or the rest of your day is easier to manage. You will have to restructure your day somehow to jolt you out of this unhelpful pattern. Changing your exercise routine is a good idea. Try it and see if it works.
    • I snack just before I leave work so I don't arrive home ravenous.
    • I prepare a slow cooker meal so there are no decisions to be made when I get home.
    • Pre-log your day including dinner.
    • Have activities to keep you busy in the evening. Knitting or crochet are good as you can't snack and knit at the same time.
  • andyluvv
    andyluvv Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I suggest that your will-power (which is a limited resource) is used up by the evening. This is my danger zone as well. So you need to build new strategies so either your will-power won't matter, or the rest of your day is easier to manage. You will have to restructure your day somehow to jolt you out of this unhelpful pattern. Changing your exercise routine is a good idea. Try it and see if it works.
    • I prepare a slow cooker meal so there are no decisions to be made when I get home.
    • Have activities to keep you busy in the evening. Knitting or crochet are good as you can't snack and knit at the same time.

My tip is - get plenty of exercise during your work hours so you can be more relaxed when home.
    Surround yourself with healthy low calorie stuff...if wine is not around and if all you have is celery...I doubt you'll be munching on it for pleasure.
    That has worked for me - I actually had biscuits in the house for the first time this weekend and they lasted up until today at work. I think that if you make small changes everyday they can end up being longer lasting.

Now, hopefully soon I'll be able to not break up a packet of something and not have the whole pack haha

• dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    andyluvv wrote: »
    jgnatca wrote: »

My tip is - get plenty of exercise during your work hours so you can be more relaxed when home.
    Surround yourself with healthy low calorie stuff...if wine is not around and if all you have is celery...I doubt you'll be munching on it for pleasure.
    That has worked for me - I actually had biscuits in the house for the first time this weekend and they lasted up until today at work. I think that if you make small changes everyday they can end up being longer lasting.

Now, hopefully soon I'll be able to not break up a packet of something and not have the whole pack haha

Yeah, I had to banish a lot of things from my house! I don't say I can't eat them, but if I really want chips, I have to make a trip to the gas station and buy a small bag. And normally, I'm too lazy to do so. XD
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Prioritize your sleep!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    When I feel out of control I try not to have foods in the house that I can get out of control with. Today I knew I could have had an oreo with my lunch, but I've been crazy and knew that I'd gobble them up later-so I didn't buy them.

Then, I always make sure to save a lot of calories for the evening. I eat dinner at about 400 calories, and then have two to three more snacks up until 10:30. Basically I eat all night. I've learned to make giant dinners for 300-500 calories that I literally have to eat out of a mixing bowl. I found desserts I can eat in high volume.

A lot of MFP people do the moderation thing. I do too, but I also like to eat A LOT. So I have my cutting foods. I look forward to them all day and prelog everything in the morning.
  • prettygirlstorm1
    prettygirlstorm1 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    i feel that way every Monday. I started carrying my gym clothes to work with me and going straight there after work. I also do not keep tempting foods in my house so I don't overindulge when I am bored. Do you have a support system, use them as your hotline for when you get ready to fall off. We all fall off the key is to get back on. I keep low calorie snacks in my car so I don't go crazy when I finish a work out. Good luck! Feel free to add me.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Wacekmama wrote: »
    If I want chips during my TV time at night, I put the bag on my kitchen counter and a BIG tumbler of calorie free beverage at easy reach of the couch. Then I only allow myself two chips for each trip from the couch to the kitchen. No matter how good they are, my lazy wins out after about four trips and I stay on the couch and fill up on lemon water.

:lol:
  • overw8gosk8
    overw8gosk8 Posts: 457 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Go to sleep earlier. More sleep means less cravings. If you are craving sweets and breads at night it means your body is tired and in order to stay up, it needs quick energy, such as sugar or carbs.

Working out for 15 min. during a craving helps too. "They" say it takes 10 min for a craving to leave your mind. So if you take a 15 min. walk or jump around in front of the tv for 15 min (hopefully) your mind will be off it.

Hope this helps. You can always add me for inspiration as well. :)
  • JennifrClaire
    JennifrClaire Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I used to be like this too. I'd get so hungry after about 9pm that I didn't care if it killed me, i had to have a snack.
    I found that a bigger breakfast - a 2 egg omlet -and more proteins and fewer carbs kept me from being hungry through the day into the evening.
    I hope this helps.
  • IndependentMe
    IndependentMe Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! This is all great. Today is the day that I start the journey that I will finish. I am not looking back, just forward. I found some great motivational speeches on spotify. Amazing how just listenting to positive words can make you feel positive. I saved the playlist and will pop on my headphones as I wake for workouts and at night when I need it most. I CAN DO THIS.
  • amandatapar
    amandatapar Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Having a protein shake as a snack on the way home helps me. The protein helps keep me full. Excess carbs make me hungrier like pasta and white potatoes and rice. So I just don't eat them.