plateu is lasting a little long for me

I have lost a total of 100lbs, I have been through many plateaus but I have never dwelled on it and just kept pushing and have always seemed to get by them. I have started taking supplements before and after my workouts to increase the intensity and get bigger muscle gains. I know they are working cause it shows, I am not so worried about weight as I am to lose body fat and get a more toned lean look. I figure I still have 20 lbs /I will have to lose to achieve this. I have hit a plateau that has lasted 2 months and counting. I was wondering if the muscle gains could be out weighing my weight loss. I have historically averaged 2lbs a week, I just don't see a person gaining 2 lbs a week in muscle. is this possible?

Replies

• han182
    han182 Posts: 82
    I just today broke my 9 week plateau. Your body may be used to eating x amount of calories a day - you could try calorie cycling? I do mine on http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm.
    I'm not sure about gaining 2lb/week muscle, maybe go talk to your doctor/a fitness instructor to see what could be happening there?
    Sorry I couldn't be more of a help!
  • dmaster555
    dmaster555 Posts: 73
    2 pounds a week of muscle is not possible. You need to either do more cardio, or eat less. Your metabolism has slowed as an adaptive response to eating in a deficit for so long. You can try a refeed day. Choose ONE day and eat a surplus of calories. Don't worry, it won't hurt you. It will help.
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Jjames1978, are you tracking your body fat percentage or only scale weight? What kind of exercise are you doing? If you are doing the same workouts over and over, your body has gotten use to it and that could lead to plateau.
  • Aesop101
    Aesop101 Posts: 758 Member
    I just today broke my 9 week plateau. Your body may be used to eating x amount of calories a day - you could try calorie cycling? I do mine on http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm.
    I'm not sure about gaining 2lb/week muscle, maybe go talk to your doctor/a fitness instructor to see what could be happening there?
    Sorry I couldn't be more of a help!

I was at a plateau and went to a buffet. Next week I lost 2-4 lbs. For the record I wasn't over my calorie limit that day. I had a big workout.
  • Jjames1978
    Jjames1978 Posts: 39 Member
    I haven't really tracked my body fat percentages nor have I ever really measured, I have always just used clothes size to do my measuring, I have noticed that my body is continuing to get more tone though. I have also checked that website just prior to posting this., and was thinking about giving it a shot either that or try a system flush. I usually stay to the same exercise routine but it has been so sporadic as of late cause of my kid's baseball schedule it isn't at a consistent time frame. any where from 3am or in the evening or bunching days up, it gets tough to get into a routine with 2 active boys. I do though still get my workouts in they are just all over the place, I run for 35 min 4+ times a week and sometimes rotate that with bicycling, I lift 3 times a week in a vigorous circuit style workout . I have started taking creatine ethyl, I also take a pre-workout nitric oxide booster(jak3d), I follow with muscle techs anabolic halo, and a half hour after workout I have a muscle milk light shake. I started with the muscle milk light shake to curb my appetite after workouts and have just within the last couple months added the others. I wouldn't care about the plateau but I am trying to get the stubborn fat gone!
  • baconsgirl
    baconsgirl Posts: 11 Member
    I think tracking body fat percentage is the way to go, especially if you think your muscle is building at the same rate as you weight loss. Still though, 100 pounds is amazing; I'm sure to get there you already know what you're doing pretty and you should be more patient with your body. I found this article about toning. HTH.

http://exercise.about.com/cs/weightloss/a/toning.htm
  • calmmomw3minimeez
    calmmomw3minimeez Posts: 499 Member
    Congrats on the 100lbs...I agree with the others on the fat percentage scale...it helps and I also agree about doing something different with the calories because your body may well used to the 'usual', so the cleansing thing you were talking about sounds good and zig-zagging may help also...I've had a slight gain and reached a plateau(yet again):sad: ...I'm not doing the conventional zig-zag, but trying to be under 2 days and over 1 thru the week...I REALLY hope this works because it seems the scale is NOT my friend lately...gotta work those fiber bars, lol!!:noway: Good luck!!:wink:
  • Jjames1978
    I guess I looked back through my diary and pulled a progress report for the last 90 days, and I guess I may have been mistaken on my 2 months but it has definitely been every bit of 6 weeks. I think I will give it another week then look into maybe some system flushes, thanks.
  • Aesop101
    Aesop101 Posts: 758 Member
    I guess I looked back through my diary and pulled a progress report for the last 90 days, and I guess I may have been mistaken on my 2 months but it has definitely been every bit of 6 weeks. I think I will give it another week then look into maybe some system flushes, thanks.

System flush is when you sweat. That's all you need.
  • Jjames1978
    I have lost a 3lbs this week, so hopefully it sticks and don't come back this coming week. And yes I do believe sweat is the best flush, but sometimes your body needs a little help! Thanks all!