Eating Out

Options
Hey all,

I'm getting back on the calorie-logging wagon but I know that I always find it most challenging when I'm eating takeout, at restauraunts -- or any other time when I'm not preparing the food myself. What strategies have youall found most helpful in gauging (at least roughly) how many calories you're eating in these types of situations?

Replies

• Brocksterdanza
    Brocksterdanza Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    When i eat out, i ask the cook to prepare my chicken or meat without the butters, etc. This allows me to track the near exact measurement for meat. ... also get a baked potato. .... the more opportunities you give them to hide the yummy stuff, they will. Good luck!
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    For most chain restaurants, they'll post the nutrition information for their dishes online so you can see how much they are. For other places, you can only estimate.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Published data.
    Comparable restaurants with published data.
    Best guess estimate.

If you don't have published data the margin of error is so large it's suck it and see. If you're eating out weekly and losing then you're doing it right. If you're not losing it may be one of the things to look at, and bump up your estimated guesses a bit.

You'll soon learn how to fit your meals out in to your intake.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Most have nutritional information posted. When they don't you can find something pretty close.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Most popular restaurants will have nutritional information online. If I know where I'm going to be 'eating out', I'll look up what I plan to have before-hand. Of course, that isn't always possible - especially in smaller places where nutritional info isn't available. In which case, I'll plug what I'm eating into the MFP database and find a similar match (I tend to go with the higher calorie listing). This isn't ideal but it's better to guess than not to log at all. It's worked quite well for me :)
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Not quite what you asked, but I minimize the number of times that I eat at restaurants.
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    Plan ahead, that is my biggest advice. Look at the menu online (including nutrition if available) and plan what you'll order, log it and make it fit in or close to your daily calories. If it doesn't fit, eat a bit under the days before or following. I eat out at least once a week and am still able to lose weight weekly so it can be done.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Lots of helpful tips here:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10213155/a-guide-to-going-out-to-eat/p1

Personally I plan ahead, try to research what I might want to eat ahead of time (I like doing this anyway, especially at a nicer restaurant), and then get an estimate of what I think the meal is going to "cost" me calorie wise. Then I can decide if I want to do some extra exercise, bank a few calories in the days leading up to it, etc.

• jmpaterno
    jmpaterno Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    If it's not a chain, I get simple dishes--meat, potatoes, and vegetables. Then I ask the server how large the piece of meat is (usually they'll be able to tell you how many ounces it is) and ask if I can have extra vegetables in place of potatoes.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    when i was logging i just found something similar and logged that...i rarely go to chain type restaurants so it's pretty rare for me to have actual posted nutritional information available to me.

beyond that, i made it a point to just be smarter about what I was ordering. also keep in mind that, while restaurants are getting better about having "lite" options, typical restaurant portions are about double or sometimes even triple meals.

having lost the weight i wanted to lose and now having maintained for over 2.5 years without logging, i have found it immensely helpful to just eat out less. i eat out now maybe 3-4 times per month, and that's about it unless we're on a trip or something.
  • rustyquinn
    rustyquinn Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I know it's tricky.
    I went out for lunch today. I usually have a begal with cream cheese and a LG chocolate milk. instead I got a tea and no cream cheese on my bagel. I agree with the posts about knowing what to order before going out. If you can
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    If you can, look up the restaurant before you go and look at their menu. Even if they don't list nutrition info, you can make reasonable guesstimates based on other entries and plan what you're going to order. That way, you know what you're getting and you won't be as tempted by looking at the full menu. You can also see about getting kid's portions of food. Having less food on your plate makes it easier to stay where you need to be, and if you're like most of us and were raised to finish what's on your plate, well, you're less likely to feel guilty for leaving food behind! ^_^;

And if there's places you go to regularly, sit down with their menus and pick out things you like that will fit your calorie goal for that meal. Having several options that you know about makes it much easier to keep your calories where they should be.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Also watch portion sizes, focus on protein, a minimize bread & carbs because cals add up fast. A typical serving of pasta is 3-4x as much as I would have at home. I'll eat the protein and a SMALL amount of pasta, or divide the dish in half and take the rest home. 3-4 rolls/bread & butter will add at least 500 cals. Every drink is about 100 cals so I stick to just one, and not every time.
  • wrenak
    wrenak Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I look up the menu beforehand and check the database to see if it has what I'm looking at (most of the time; Texas Roadhouse on Halloween was a spur-of-the-moment "We're not going to make the time we want at the movies, let's go have dinner at this place we've been wanting to try, then the later showing."). When we went to TR I just logged it as I ate it. I chose the smallest, leanest cut of meat and got veggies instead of potatoes. I did splurge on a roll, 4 fried pickle slices (*chokes* 41 calories per slice), and a margarita. I regretted nothing! When we went to TGIFriday for lunch last week I had them bring a to-go box with the food. I immediately put half the sandwich and half the sweet potato fries into the box and set it to the side. I never would have done that before! I was fully satisfied with just a half portion (and 2 glasses of water) and I ate the other half for dinner.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    Not quite what you asked, but I minimize the number of times that I eat at restaurants.

Ditto.