Butter or margarine/spread- anybody have an opinion?

Options
Personally I'm a butter person. Can't eat margarine. I was told it's really bad and almost the same ingredients as emulsion paint!

Replies

• MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    I prefer butter just because it tastes so much better, but if I am looking for a cut in calories near the end of the day, I may use margarine. Certain things, like popcorn or pancakes, there's no substitute for the real thing.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Forget Margarine! KerryGold Grass fed Butter is the ONLY way to go!! :)
  • smotheredincheese
    smotheredincheese Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Margarine for sandwiches, because it spreads easier. Butter on toast because it melts and is delicious :)
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I prefer butter because I love the full flavour, but I have nothing against margerine. It can be a perfect product in certain recipes or in combination with other stuff. It is often very good in baking to replace things like lard (not always though)

The quote you hear about margarine is a broscience hoax at its worst. Have good rummage through the internet on the margarine myth and you'll find lots of better valid science information
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    Butter all the way.
  • suzan06
    suzan06 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Butter, specifically grass fed, because the mix of fats is much healthier.

I am a dirty hippy, lol, and make my own butter from grass fed cream, then use the leftover buttermilk for baking.
  • KellieTru
    KellieTru Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Butter.
    Because it tastes wonderful!
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I use I can't believe it's not butter light. I like the taste and the cals.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Butter here. If I am going to spend 100 calories on fat, it will be on tasty fat.
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Butter here. If I am going to spend 100 calories on fat, it will be on tasty fat.

Yep, this. I can actually use less butter for flavor then I can use of margarine. Once you start eating healthy, at least in my case, I notice flavors more intensely. So less butter for the same flavor.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    Butter because trans-fat is nasty.

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/transfats/

Now newer formulas have replaced the trans fat with saturated fat from palm oil or similar. While this is a step in the right direction I have to wonder why? I'm getting the same saturated fat so why not use butter? To me its like substituting real maple syrup with Mrs. Buttersworth. You get the same sugar with an artificial taste...

BTW - I have no issue with saturated fat.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Butter
    I grew up with margarine (because butter was evil) and hated it. I'd rather use my calories on something I like.
  • Bacardibarker
    Bacardibarker Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Butter all the way. If I'm going to eat fat, its going to be tasty fat.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Becel margarine for my toast, and unsalted butter for my baking. The margarine is low in saturated fat.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Since I started, I've switched from margarine to butter, and convinced my dad to do the same. My mom, on the other hand, will only use it for baking. Otherwise, just margarine for her.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Butter--I just use less than I used to. I generally go for taste over quantity. I use olive oil a lot more often, though.

As for health, the make-up of margarines vary a lot. Most current ones don't have trans fats, I don't think.
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Benecol, for the plant sterols.
  • Physick
    Physick Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Dairy makes my skin break out so I had to find an alternative. I use Melt now- it's a non dairy substitute that tastes, spreads, and sautees like real butter. Has a lot of flavor- can bake with it too- it's pretty much the closest I've found to real butter that isn't real butter.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    I use margarine or Earth Balance if I need something spreadable, and butter for most other things. I think either is perfectly fine in moderation so I use whichever has the appropriate consistency for my needs.

I do usually bake with the fanciest butter I can find because of the fat content, but that is for taste and not for health.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    butter...many margarines have partially hydrogenated oil (trans-fats)...partially hydrogenated oils are not fit for human consumption.