Meal ideas :)

Hi everyone,
I'm a 5'7", 159 pound, 19 year old girl and I am trying to get down to 140 pounds . I was wondering if anyone had any food ideas that would keep me full and full of energy (I'm a vegetarian by the way) and if anyone is wanting to add me so we can encourage one another to keep losing weight as I struggle to keep motivated, it will be greatly appreciated. Thank you :)
Katherine

Replies

• socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    www.google.com and do a search for food ideas for vegetarians - this will be a real learning experience.

But to start you off a couple of suggestions: chick peas, lentils or any kind of beans is full of fiber and protein. Try black bean spaghetti - 25 grams of protein for every 2 ounces (dry weight). Good luck.
  • kafrinia96
    kafrinia96 Posts: 5 Member
    Hi, thank you very much. I regularly look online but there's always a ridiculously long list of ingredients aha and some times it doesn't even tell you what ingredients you need or how to prepare it aha :) I shall try this out though
    Thanks a lot :)
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    Sure, I love to eat that way, but I'm not vegetarian...although I tend toward it.
    Here's a sample day, just use vegetarian protein instead of meat, like eggs, sprouted tofu, black beans...
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10251661/what-does-a-day-of-meals-look-like#latest
  • HappilyDistracted
    HappilyDistracted Posts: 1,700 Member
    Stir-frys are easy. You can just chop up a bunch of veggies and some soy sauce or ginger or whatever you want to season. Squashes are in season. You could roast them or sweet potatoes or make a soup. Spaghetti squash can be baked and made into a traditional spaghetti or you could do a primavera type thing with olives, feta, salt, pepper, etc. Chili (obviously just with the beans). Eggplant Parmesan. Hummus or guacamole with veggies. Apples are also in season- you can bake one of those or stick it in the microwave with just cinnamon on it and maybe some raisins for a treat. Rice and beans are easy.

Soo, whole foods has a huge assortment of things and tends to be vegetarian friendly. If you have one nearby or some other healthy store that serves lunch, I'd say browse what they have there and see if anything strikes your fancy. It kind of depends on what you like. I'm happy eating a couple of eggs for breakfast. Not sure if you eat those, but it works for me. Just depends on what you like eating.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,789 Member
    What sub-branch of vegetarian? I'm ovo-lacto, have been for 41 years (not a typo).

While in deficit, I'm eating plenty of fruit and vegetables, and making sure I get enough protein, and have felt pretty good (except when I got my deficit a little too low for a while there).

You can friend me to see what I eat, if you wish, but if you're skipping dairy entirely it may not be much help. (I eat some eggs two or three times a week, but eat dairy daily.) I mostly cook from scratch, without recipes, though not elaborately, and eat mostly minimally processed foods. I don't often eat fake meat products because I don't find them very tasty or satisfying.

Today's food: B: Oatmeal with greek yogurt, fruit & nuts, plus coffee with milk. L: Butternut squash/coconut soup, squash & vegan gravy (which I don't usually eat). D: Onions, mushrooms, green peas, garlic, edamame/mung bean pasta sauteed in soy sauce, miso & sesame oil. S: Queso fresco, crispy baked pea snack. Around 1600 calories, 85g protein.

I'm 5'5", CW 130, SW 183 (4/17/2015), GW around 125. I started at 2lb/week loss, went to 1lb/week at about 15 pounds to go, and am currently tapering from 0.5lb/week loss toward maintenance. I'm 60 years old, and pretty active.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Try this I call it my version of scrambled eggs since I do not eat them: 1 tin chick peas (thoroughly rinsed to remove salt), 30 grams onion, 1 medium tomatoes and 30 grams peppers (diced all three either by hand or in a food processor). Put 1 tbs olive oil in frying pan and pour onion mixture in, covered and simmer on low heat for a 2 minutes. Pour chick peas in food processor with 2/3 quick pulse, (avoid it become like mashed potatoes).

Pour mixture into sauce and mix thoroughly, season to your taste. I normally sprinkle some grate cheese on mine. You can either eat with toast or Ryvita. That's breakfast and will keep you going for at least 4 hours.

You can also use butter or Cannellini beans. All three are great if you drink smoothies - I normally use carrot juice along with sunflower seed butter, frozen banana and boiled/baked kabocha squash.
  • kafrinia96
    Thank you all very much this is very helpful for me :)
    I'm looking forward to trying these recipes out :)
    I am ovo because I eat eggs but not very often as I'm not too bothered by them :)
    If anyone would like to add me I'll be happy to accept and as I need to stay motivated aha :)thank you all again :D
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    kafrinia96 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,
    I'm a 5'7", 159 pound, 19 year old girl and I am trying to get down to 140 pounds . I was wondering if anyone had any food ideas that would keep me full and full of energy (I'm a vegetarian by the way) and if anyone is wanting to add me so we can encourage one another to keep losing weight as I struggle to keep motivated, it will be greatly appreciated. Thank you :)
    Katherine

Can follow me on instagram, made the account just because I get this question so much from people at work and friends. it's in my info on my profile.
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    Also, I am 5'7" and I want to suggest that your goal weight of 140 lbs might be too low, if you have any muscularity. You may want to do bodyfat testing and have a bodyfat % goal instead of the scale weight goal. My own weight can be anywhere from 145-155lbs depending on how much time I'm putting into lifting.
  • kafrinia96

Can follow me on instagram, made the account just because I get this question so much from people at work and friends. it's in my info on my profile. [/quote]

It says your user is private so I've sent a request :)
  • kafrinia96
    Also, I am 5'7" and I want to suggest that your goal weight of 140 lbs might be too low, if you have any muscularity. You may want to do bodyfat testing and have a bodyfat % goal instead of the scale weight goal. My own weight can be anywhere from 145-155lbs depending on how much time I'm putting into lifting.

Hey :) last time I got weighed it said I was 28.9% body fat but that was when I was 10 pounds heavier than I am now so I'm not sure what I am. But I do feel I have a lot left to lose