A good fitness watch, any ideas?

Options
Does any one know of any good fitness watches out there - something that tracks heart rate or shows your how many calories you burned or the distance you've run in steps? Would prefer one that is affordable & doesn't require wearing a heart rate tracker on the chest. I'm from the UK so something I can order\purchase here. Thank you x

Replies

• SonoraBlue
    SonoraBlue Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I was able to get the garmin Vivofit online for $45 US, but that is without the heart rate monitor. It can be purchased along with it, though, if you choose, but that's more like $75 or 80 US. Then again, the monitor must be worn on the chest. I'm happy with it, without. It keeps track of steps, distance, calories burned, sets goals based on past activity, tells you when you've been sedentary for an hour, and the app allows you to join challenges and set additional goals. It's been really helpful--and its batteries don't need to be charged, which I think is the advantage it has over all other fitness trackers. It's not so great for performance tracking--workout intensity, timing, etc.--but really good for all day and night and making sure you stay active throughout the day. The watch and the app that is used with it have helped me a lot in seeing how all my activity and calories work together and had been a big motivation because I can finally see how things make sense. I'm no longer doing intense workouts and wondering why nothing is working. Now I'm walking everyday and keeping consistent... and consistently losing weight.
  • sarahdayski
    sarahdayski Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Ive got a fitbit hr, got it from amazon for around £65 and it does everything you are asking. Also seen this morning on tv that Currys are selling i think its a jawbone one for around £45 = http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/smart-tech/smart-tech/smart-watches-and-fitness/fitness-trackers/jawbone-up2-activity-tracker-black-10133270-pdt.html
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    The Apple watch is the best looking of the bunch, IMO. It has nice stuff you can do with it. Those circles are kind of cool. I went with a friend who got one and I almost bought one, myself. I'm just not techy enough to bother. But if I were getting one, that's the one I'd get. I'm sure you can buy them in the UK.
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    While not cheap, Polar just came out with the A360, a watch-type HRM and activity tracker. I'm thinking that will be my Xmas gift to myself :smiley:
  • ebouchie
    ebouchie Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I have the Apple Watch Sport. It is $349 in US so not cheap. But I was lucky enough to have won mine. It does way more than track fitness/workouts though. I have had it since July and love it.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I've got a Fitbit flex. It doesn't have a heart rate monitor - the Fitbit Charge HR does. For me though, the Charge HR was too bulky on my small wrists! Love my flex though - very accurate :)
  • perirn
    perirn Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I love my Garmin forerunner..its the newer version that came out last summer that has all the usual garmin features and tracks steps as well. The only thing I dont like is that there is no auto sync like fitbit has. but you do have to wear a chest strap for heart rate.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I love my Garmin Vivoactive (with a chest strap). I used to use a Body Media armband and Polar HRM.

Things I like: different watch faces and apps to download, pre-loaded workouts for indoor and outdoor walking/biking/running/swimming/golf. Monitors steps daily and gives me a weekly average. Gives me a pretty (full color) fireworks display when I hit my steps goal for the day. Gives me a vibrating nudge if I have moved in 45 minutes. And keeps nudging me until I do. Takes 100 steps to clear the "move" bar. My staff walks around with me, they think it's funny. It's waterproof. And the chest strap works great (it Doesn't have the optical/wrist HRM. I'm not convinced of their accuracy and I care about my HR when training, not on a minute-to-minute basis). Phone app is very comprehensive and it syncs with mfp.
  • egemens
    egemens Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have a withings activity pop watch and i think it can be the one for you if you dont seriosly want HR feature.
    It looks like an analog watch and works with your phone and it tracks sleep, steps and swims. Water resistant and you dont have to charge it everyday, a single button battery lasts 8months.
    Anddd withings app and MFP can share your steps, as you see i really like this watch...
    Hope you like it too
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Here's a website I started with when I began my research on upgrading my wearable tech.
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2404445,00.asp
  • BethR2015
    BethR2015 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Your comments have been really helpful! :)

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Swatch has a watch, waterproof, that keeps track of your beach volleyball hits.
    http://www.swatch.com/en_ca/swatch-touch-zero-one#

It tracks your progress with an ever expanding ice-cream cone.
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    A week ago I went to a store re-opening [with 25% off all] to get a cheap heart monitor. On impulse I splurged and got a Garmin Vivoactive (with a chest strap). Spent no time doing my normal research and only got that one by accident. Turns out to be very feature rich - but you have to spend time reading and playing with it.

Features I wanted :: I've got HR monitor to warn if I go high as I increase my exercise intensity, mph speed of walking when on targeted walks, general all day step counter, sleep monitor. calorie burn estimator.
  • elka67
    elka67 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Can't recommend it as I don't own one but just for your information, M&S are currently selling all Fitbits at 30% off for their Black Friday sales, that makes the Fitbit Charge HR £66.49, if you fancied that one. Plus free delivery as it's over £30. Seems about the best price around at the moment.