Low calories snacks

Options
Anyone have any low calorie snack ideas. Especially since I get my craving late at night and it's not exactly the best thing to eat before you go to sleep.

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Unless it causes discomfort for you (like heartburn), you can eat before going to sleep.

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Your body doesn't care what time of day you eat. Are you logging all your food in to MFP yet?

Lowest calorie are air and water. So water, waterlogged (sugar free jell-o), and air puffed (popcorn and wheat puffs) will have the lowest calorie for volume ratio.

When you log your food you might have days where there's room for a hundred calorie snack. Then go for it. There's evidence that it's good for your teeth to end your day with a bit of hard cheese.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2336850/Forget-gum-Eating-CHEESE-prevent-tooth-decay-neutralises-acid-mouth.html
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    My late night snacks include: Greek yogurt, string cheese, fudge pops, popcorn, veggies & hummus, apples & peanut butter, almonds, beef jerky, ice cream (if I have room in my calories, of course), protein bars, wasabi peas

I try to save 400-500 calories from my day for a good late night snack. If I don't have the room for one, though, I stick to some decaffeinated tea.
  • malloryboutwell
    malloryboutwell Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Your body doesn't care what time of day you eat. Are you logging all your food in to MFP yet?

Lowest calorie are air and water. So water, waterlogged (sugar free jell-o), and air puffed (popcorn and wheat puffs) will have the lowest calorie for volume ratio.

When you log your food you might have days where there's room for a hundred calorie snack. Then go for it. There's evidence that it's good for your teeth to end your day with a bit of hard cheese.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2336850/Forget-gum-Eating-CHEESE-prevent-tooth-decay-neutralises-acid-mouth.html

I have been putting all my food on MFP. I just want to eat the foods with the least amount of calories.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Sometimes the most satisfying snack for me is five roasted peanuts. Peanuts are high calorie but they also have almost equal profile of protein, carbs, fat, and fiber. Edamame seed pods have the same effect for me. So they are nutritionally complete in a small package, even though they are not "low calorie". With weighing and logging food, it is an opportunity to revisit what a portion looks like. This opens up all foods as being available to satisfy.
  • Monklady123
    Monklady123 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Popcorn (but don't pour on the butter, obviously), 100-cal snack packs, string cheese with a few crackers, fruit...
  • magtart
    magtart Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    My two favorite snacks lately are shrimp and cocktail sauce or mini cucumbers and ranch dip.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Anyone have any low calorie snack ideas. Especially since I get my craving late at night and it's not exactly the best thing to eat before you go to sleep.
    This is not necessarily true. As long as you are within your caloric window it does not matter much when you eat.