Runner Survey - How many pairs of running shoes...

Options
In the past couple weeks I purchased 2 new pairs of running shoes, and being that my wife isn't a runner, she's giving me a little grief... "how many pairs of running shoes does one person need?"

I say 5!
Street Trainers
Street Racers
Trail Trainers
Trail Racers
Really gnarly trail trainers

HOW ABOUT YOU? HOW MANY DO YOU NEED?

Replies

• mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I have two pairs... i have one pair for indoor/pavement running and a pair for trails... i used to have another pair for track but i got rid of them...
  • bbbbb33333
    bbbbb33333 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    1 at a time. When the rear tread starts wearing, I demote them to yard work shoes and buy a new pair.

5 pair.... a little obsessed?
  • mamato4kids
    mamato4kids Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I have 2...one pair that is on it's way out, one that currently do most of my miles in. I will get a new pair soon, and they will be put in to rotation...
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    i have two and 1 new lot waiting! i get through about a pair every 3 months lol
  • ashshort
    ashshort Posts: 8
    Options
    I run marathons and although I only have one pair at the moment. You really should have 3 pairs. One for outdoor running, indoor treadmill/track running, running in the rain or on wet pavement. Depending on mileage and training I replace my shoes about every 2-3 months. I never buy new shoes for a race until I have done substantial training runs in them. I usually buy the same shoes each time until they change the style and have someone at a running store fit me for shoes.
  • Arizona_JR
    Arizona_JR Posts: 275
    Options
    I run marathons and although I only have one pair at the moment. You really should have 3 pairs. One for outdoor running, indoor treadmill/track running, running in the rain or on wet pavement. Depending on mileage and training I replace my shoes about every 2-3 months. I never buy new shoes for a race until I have done substantial training runs in them. I usually buy the same shoes each time until they change the style and have someone at a running store fit me for shoes.

Rain? what is that? :laugh:
    Don't you just hate when they discontinue your favorite model? :noway:
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    I have one, but if I were to do trail running, I'd probably buy a second pair.
  • Arizona_JR
    Options
    1 at a time. When the rear tread starts wearing, I demote them to yard work shoes and buy a new pair.

5 pair.... a little obsessed?

:laugh: not really (much), you need only trash your trash your lightweight racers or street shoes on my trails to appreciate the need for a little variety. :smile:
  • alexfaty
    alexfaty Posts: 61
    Options
    Lots and lots :-)

I love new trainers, they make you feel so light and bouncy when they are new! :bigsmile:

I was always told you should have 2 pairs on the go and alternate between them so the cushing can recover.
    I dont do that but I tend to do 2 marathons a year and replace them at the start of the marathon training, therefore having 2 pairs a year I think you should only do about 500 miles in a pair, so to wear the old ones a bit more I also use an old pair for cross training which gives the running ones a bit of a 'rest'
    I also have off road trainers... So 3 pairs on the go at anyone time...

But I buy 'out of date' trainers so many compaines bring out a slightly new trainer every year or so if you look on line the old types are always at lot cheaper... :-)
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Need...probably one 1-2 pairs. Want....as many as I can afford.
    Have....6. But 1 pair is really raggedy and doesn't get worn much.
  • Jamazurunner
    Jamazurunner Posts: 132
    Options
    I have about 4 pairs at home, and two pairs at my parents' place when I visit them, just in case I forget to pack running shoes (ha)!

I think I have a running shoe collecting problem... They are all the exact same brand and model.
  • KPstartingover
    KPstartingover Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I just found my dream pair of shoes - so I ordered 2 extra pairs. I'm rotating 2 pairs and keeping one as a spare. I've just started a training program, so I'm pretty new to the whole running world. Are you supposed to keep track of how many miles you put on each pair of shoes?
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I have a four year old pair of Nike Free and two pairs of vibrams. Of the two pairs of vibrams, I only wear one because the other hurts my feet. So, I effectively have only one pair of shoes that I run in.
  • Arizona_JR
    Options
    I just found my dream pair of shoes - so I ordered 2 extra pairs. I'm rotating 2 pairs and keeping one as a spare. I've just started a training program, so I'm pretty new to the whole running world. Are you supposed to keep track of how many miles you put on each pair of shoes?

yes. most shoes tend to break down internally after around 400- 500 miles.
  • rgoodearl
    rgoodearl Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I have two pair :smile:
  • Jamazurunner
    Jamazurunner Posts: 132
    Options
    I have a four year old pair of Nike Free and two pairs of vibrams. Of the two pairs of vibrams, I only wear one because the other hurts my feet. So, I effectively have only one pair of shoes that I run in.

I have heard so many wonderful things about vibrams! Has it changed your stride much? I read "Born to Run" and fell in love with the idea of running barefoot (which I am too scared to do)!
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options

I have heard so many wonderful things about vibrams! Has it changed your stride much? I read "Born to Run" and fell in love with the idea of running barefoot (which I am too scared to do)!

I used to go through lots of shoes until I got my VFF. Now I have 2: One for trail running (Sport Treks) and one for everything else (classics). Then sometimes I just use my own two feet. Those don't wear out. :)
  • sprinkies
    sprinkies Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    i have two, one pair i'm using for shorter runs (they're too small) and a new pair i'm working into longer runs.

after my 9 mile run today i def realized i need to exchange the new pair for one with better arch support. at mile 8 i was absolutely DYING. will exchange this weekend.
  • dave_in_delaware
    dave_in_delaware Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I know I'll be flamed about this, but I have zero running shoes. I just don't have the money right now to invest in a pair of shoes. So, I'm running in what I have right now, which is an old pair of high top sneakers.

The way I look at it, is that I'm not going to have running shoes on when I'm working in my new "side career" (BEA) anyway, so I need to train in what I have available. I'll eventually be wearing duty boots for my job, so I'll be training/running in those, too. I'm sure I'll be needing to run a distance in those for my job anyway (chasing fugitives), so why not train in them, and other non-running shoes, right?

At least that's my thought process. If I start having issues from non-padded non-running shoes, I'll reconsider. But for now, it's what I got and what I plan on wearing in the future.
  • MelMoly
    MelMoly Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    I have 2...One for indoor and one for outdoor. I would like to have another so I can use my old ones for bad weather :)