anyone diagnosed hypothyroid?

Options
Red13
Red13 Posts: 287 Member
For those who have been diagnosed hypothyroid, I want to share my symptoms and see if they correlate to anyone. I have a cyst on my thyroid (discovered 3 years ago) and have been in the "normal" range since I've been getting tested. I came off birth control in December and haven't gotten a period since and recently saw my gyno. I am not pregnant and they once again took my blood work for thyroid. They haven't given me results yet but I'm sure they are once again going to tell me it's "normal". Other symptoms are sensitivity to cold, low sex drive, unsuccessful dieting (for quite some time no matter what the scale doesn't budge!) Does this sound similar to anyone? I should probably see an endocrinologist but I'm scared at the consequences of having to take medication. My husband and I also want to have another child and I'm scared that it may be difficult if I do have hypothyroidism.

Replies

• lablovr108
    lablovr108 Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism 10 years ago this July, at the age of 24. My symptoms included low, low energy, always cold, and unexplained weight gain. I was scared because the thought of taking synthroid for the rest of my life seemed so daunting. But after a few months, once my levels were regulated, I was feeling so much better. I wish you the best.
  • eeelastic9
    eeelastic9 Posts: 24
    Options
    I was diagnosed hypothyroid almost 2 years ago, and I would say that your sensitivity to cold, low sex drive, and difficulty with weight could be indicators of hypothyroidism. Other things to look out for would be general fatigue, dry skin, and constipation.

The good news for you, I would say is that while taking a daily medication can be annoying, I felt *so* much better after it started working. I'm not 100% sure about pregnancy and thyroid issues, but from what I've read, it basically means more monitoring (as in more frequent check ups). I'm sure there are plenty of women who have successfully managed hypothyroidism and pregnancy.

Good luck!
  • StevLL
    StevLL Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I am on the low end of the normal range and while my primary doctor was not comfortable prescribing, the endocrinologist she sent me to was. She is very thorough and wanted to know the cause, so long story short. My pituitary stopped working and now I'm on thyroid, upped twice now, testosterone and vitamin D since I don't make any of those. Energy is like I'm 35 again. Blood pressure which has been in stroke zone for 10 years is now at normal and they have reduced and discontinued some of my BP meds, only three more to go yipee. My advice would be to find a good endocrinlogist and let them get you balanced out, it has chnged my life. I Think clearer, sex drive is back, energy is back, feel good, can excercise now and sleep better. Can't say enough good stuff. I hated taking rx drugs before and now I'm a believer. Good luck to you.
  • beckymorris68
    beckymorris68 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Getting on the medication will improve your fertility. It will start on the journey of putting you back to normal...more normal than you feel now (if you actually do have hypothyroidism). Low thyroxine levels in pregnancy can apparently affect baby's IQ. If you need levo-t, make sure you take it...it can only help.
    I was diagnosed 4 years ago. I was 39 when I conceived at first attempt (whereas I had never fallen pregnant when i should have done before I was treated).
    If you are low, you are low....taking treatment can only help :-)