Fitbit - Pro's Con's is it worth it?

Options
HI All, Right now I can not track accurately and am thinking about a fitbit., for those of you that have them or another kind can you tell me about your experience?
Thank you

Replies

• knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you are looking for - if you want to track activity they are great but if you want actual calories for specific workouts you will need a HRM in addition to the fit bit.

I just bought a Polar Loop (same idea as a fit bit) Tracks steps, activity and calories but the calories aren't accurate as I think it includes "resting calorie burn also" - the calorie burn is based on the info input into the program. The one thing with the Loop is that I can just buy an H6 or H7 strap and the Loop will sync with it so I won't have to buy a totally different HRM.
  • Suzibluski
    Suzibluski Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Yes I want to track steps and what I actually burn in a normal day... the calories I could care less about because with me I can't eat back my exercise calories or I don't lose.. but that is me
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Yes I want to track steps and what I actually burn in a normal day... the calories I could care less about because with me I can't eat back my exercise calories or I don't lose.. but that is me

Then I think the fitbit will suit your current needs - I am not overly concerned about tracking calorie burn during workouts yet either
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Love the Fitbit! I've had mine for over a year now. I have fun seeing how many steps I can do each day and it's been a real eye opener to how few I can do on days where I'm doing a lot of homework or watching too much TV.

If you get one, be sure once you sync it with MFP that you only enter food in MFP and extra exercise in the Fitbit app or it will mess up your calorie totals.
  • Soumiea
    Soumiea Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have had a Fitbit Flex for about 9 months now and I absolutely love it. It has actually motivated me significantly by quantifying how sedentary my lifestyle is, especially on the weekends! The app you sync it with has great metrics that help you understand your patterns, so it provides you with an easy way to make small changes to your routine. For example, I now park farther away at work in order to increase my steps in the mornings. On Sunday afternoons, I make it a point to get out of the house and accumulate at least 2-3k steps. But my favorite aspect is that you can compare your weekly step count totals with your friends and the added peer pressure of keeping up with an active friend is a huge motivation. My goal every week is to always get more steps than one specific co-worker. In the 9 months since I started using the Fitbit, with no dietary changes, I have shaved off an inch from hips and my legs are the thinnest they have ever been because of all the toning & calories burned that I got from the increased walking. Also, I was averaging around 9-10k daily steps my first few months, then I progressed to ~12k steps for the next few months and now I am at a 15k daily average. This progression is tracked in the app's statistics that are found on the Dashboard. Basically, I highly recommend the Fitbit!! Also, the Fitbit Flex is waterproof, so the only time I take it off is when I need to charge it.
  • tiffaniedemayo
    tiffaniedemayo Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Suzibluski wrote: »
    the calories I could care less about because with me I can't eat back my exercise calories or I don't lose.. but that is me
    I am also in the same position with eating back my calories burned, and thinking about getting a Fitbit. I'd be interested in your experience with it, compared to without/before your use of the Fitbit.
  • mrsnazario1219
    mrsnazario1219 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's worth it. I've had my flex for over a year and love it. Hoping to get the HR Charge for Christmas :)
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Suzibluski wrote: »

Just FYI: the calories your fitbit will give your burn throughout the day is not 100% accurate. Like most calorie burn calculators, it is just an equation that has a margin of error in it. The fitbits that clip close to your body (like the One), have a smaller margin of error. The ones that you wear on your wrist have a larger margin of error. If I remember correctly, a study I read about a year ago stated that the One has a margin of error of +- 10%.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Get one with a heart rate monitor. It's not going to be 100%, but the HRM makes it more accurate.

I have the Charge HR and I love it. If nothing else, it gives me a general idea where I am for the day, which is helpful to me in planning evening food.
  • littleb0peep
    littleb0peep Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Competitions. :D
  • sigsby
    sigsby Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I have the Flex and I absolutely love it. It automatically synchronizes with my wellness program at work. It is also good for determining your activity level for the day. Be careful about calorie adjustments. You can also use it to be a motivator in increasing your daily activity level. It is not a good tracker for cycling, swimming, skiing or any gym equipment.
  • MeadowsBing
    MeadowsBing Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I use the flex and mfp separately. I log food and exercise on mfp and use the Fitbit to track my day to day steps plus exercise so there is an overlap. I also use the flex to monitor my sleep which was an eye opener as even going to bed for 8.5 hours I was finding sometimes I only slept for 6/7
  • missblondi2u
    missblondi2u Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    I've been a fitbit flex owner for two months now, and I LOVE it! I had been losing weight at almost twice the 1 lb/week I signed up for, and after I got my fitbit I figured out why--I'm a lot more active than I thought I was. This means that I can eat more calories and still lose weight, which has made this a much more pleasurable experience!

For example, I had my activity level set at sedentary (which gave me a 1400 daily calorie allowance), I only logged my intentional exercise (usually about 600 or so), and then only ate back 50% of those exercise calories (so about 300 extra calories per day, for about 1700 total). Now that I have my fitbit synced, I can eat almost 2000 calories a day and I'm still losing a bit faster than 1 lb/week! So for me, it's been pretty darn accurate.
  • magtart
    magtart Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit one. It is an older model, but it works fine for tracking steps, activity, and sleep. MFP tells me how many calories I have earned, but don't have it set to add them in.

I am asking for a Jawbone up3 for Christmas.
  • wearmi1
    wearmi1 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I've had a Fitbit Flex for about 2 years now. Its eye opening to just how lazy I was before I had a fitness tracker. I like the competitions part of it, every week it's always a competition for bragging rights as to who got the most steps for the week. It's harmless fun but beneficial none the less.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10120819/fitbit-margin-of-error-calculated

Please take the time to read this. I did before I bought my charge HR and it has really helped me love it more!!!
  • ariana_eatsandlifts
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10120819/fitbit-margin-of-error-calculated

Please take the time to read this. I did before I bought my charge HR and it has really helped me love it more!!!

Wow, thanks for this post! I've had my Charge HR for about a month now. I love it, but I have such a small deficit that a 10% overestimation could really affect me. I'll take that in to consideration from now on!
  • ariana_eatsandlifts
    Options
    OP, I have a Charge HR as I said above. I'm really glad I have it because I used to consider myself a lightly active person. However, I've come to realize just how lazy I can be on my days off and it motivates me to keep moving when I just want to stay on the couch!

That being said, I don't think I needed to pay extra for the HR feature. If I could go back in time, I would save a bit of money and just get the Flex.
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Just wondering: when you say you "can't track accurately," are you thinking of using the fitbit to help improve the accuracy of your tracking? How will that work? Is it just the calories-out side of the equation that isn't accurate right now?
  • musclesandmusic866
    musclesandmusic866 Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    The HR monitor one does not work right...it's way off.