I'm new and I need motivation!

Options
I've just joined MyFitnessPal and I would love to talk to other people in a smiliar position for support!
My problem is that I struggle to stay motivated, and always end up talking myself out of seriously losing weight.
How do other people convince themselves it is worth it for the long term?

Replies

• McButterfly68
    Options
    I have "procastinitis" (Ha-ha!) and stay motivated by watching my son's stay active. I think having this support is good too. Logging on each day and keeping track of your goals/success will keep you motivated. Good luck!
  • mrhelpless
    mrhelpless Posts: 14
    Options
    Hi Jules

Thanks for the friends request. I was doing well but caved in and went back to old habits. The notification of your request from My Fitness Pal has reminded me I was on a mission! I MUST get back to this! Thank you!

Clive
  • morningsunrise
    morningsunrise Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Go and look at the success stories - the ones with pictures really keep me on track.

Feel free to add me if you want extra support.
  • kgorm001
    kgorm001 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I also suffer from "procrastinitis"! Love that term. Having friends and family involved in goal setting, positive reinforcement, and healthy food options (especially at the grocery store) have been helping me. I love challenges and healthy competition. My husband and I put our start weights and goal weights on the calender. We have a weekly weigh in, as well as a place to chart our exercises for the week. My problem is daily calorie counting. I start off GREAT...then it fades. So, my short term goal of this week is to count ALL of my calories.

Best wishes to you!!!
  • irismoon
    irismoon Posts: 83
    Options
    Best advice I got is that you need to find your own reason to keep you motivated. What is a reason for loosing weight that you just can't say no to? Here is mine:

I've always had a hard time getting motivated. I've been on a weight-loss roller coaster for the last 3 and a half years. Mostly due to a car wreck and all the surgeries that have resulted over time from injuries. Seems like I get better, loose weight, and then something happens and I'm no longer able to get up and exercise. Its really beginning to kill my motivation. However, I know in the end if I don't get motivated and keep trying to loose the weight I'll just have to deal with more pain and possibly more surgeries because my leg can't handle the extra pounds well. So for me the motivation is knowing what will happen if I don't do it. Yeah, I could sit around and not exercise, but then I risk the chance of staying in a wheel chair or more surgeries.

Find a reason to be motivated. Once you get motivated its is easier to stay motivated - especially when the weight starts coming off. Good luck!
  • missdeehere
    missdeehere Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I've just joined MyFitnessPal and I would love to talk to other people in a smiliar position for support!
    My problem is that I struggle to stay motivated, and always end up talking myself out of seriously losing weight.
    How do other people convince themselves it is worth it for the long term?

I too suffer from "procrastinitis"! Love that, Love that!!

I hear ya!! I just KNOW that being healthy is the only way to survive getting older. LOL I lose my focus so easy and so many times. I just keep coming back!! Keep yourself with friends that care about being healthy. I find that my online pals care more then most my friends in life. So that's why I NEED my online pals!!

Please join us in our ONE WEEK challenge. I must look at it as getting through one week. Small term goals work best for me.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/262154-missdeehere-s-one-week-challenge-for-short-term-goals

Hope to see you there! Good Luck!! You can do it, if you really want to. Just takes time, patience, support & MOTIVATION!!
  • Lindsayrob
    Lindsayrob Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I find that the more friends I have, the more motivated I am! Feel free to add me as a friend if you want.
    I also find structured exercise invaluable - I'm nearing the end of the Couch to 5k running programme and have recently started using the 30 Day Shred DVD. I guess I'm just the sort of person who needs rules!
    Good luck
    Lindsay