C25K- running machine or running outside?

Options
albali
albali Posts: 225 Member
HI
I am interested to know how many of you guys who are doing the C25K are doing it outside on paths etc, and how many are doing it on a running machine.
Thanks

Replies

481471 Posts: 95
    Options
    Outside!
    Never thought I would ever run as I hated the thought of people seeing me. But after biting the bullet a few weeks ago, I always run outside! I do wish I had a tread mill at times, ie when its raining and when i want to know im running a constant speed, but i find running outside works you out better, as terrain is always changing, altitude changes and things like battling against the wind make you work harder!
  • cmduncan
    cmduncan Posts: 69
    Options
    I'm doing it inside for now. (I live in VA and 90+ degrees and humidity are going to keep me from running outside until fall). Plan to work my way through on the treadmill and then move outside once I've gotten through the program. I expect that I'll take a hit when I transition - but I'll work through when I get there.
  • justann
    justann Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Definately outside. I have never even been on a treadmill!
  • mrrodriguez
    mrrodriguez Posts: 158
    Options
    I would do it outside. If you train on a treadmill all the time, then when you want to run in an actual 5K, you won't be accustomed to the different muscles used outside.
  • musicgirl88
    musicgirl88 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I've always done it outside. I sometimes wish I had a backup though, because when it rains all day, I don't own a treadmill nor do I have a membership anywhere! But I LOVE running outside!
  • fridayjustleft04
    fridayjustleft04 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    Outside. I run on the track at the high school. SInce I live in the desert, though, I wait until about 8 pm to do it.
  • Harrar10
    Harrar10 Posts: 116
    Options
    Hello,
    I am doing mine on a treadmill inside, I do not yet have the confidence to do it outside lol Inside on the treadmill I can control the speed and make myself run, while outside I am not sure how fast I am going and I can cheat more :)
  • Mamapengu
    Mamapengu Posts: 250
    Options
    if you have the choice- outside. It can be fun to run in the elements, see the seasons change.
  • MemphisGirl75
    MemphisGirl75 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I'm in Memphis, with 100 degree temps for the past week, and a 100% humidity daily that started more than two weeks ago. I am up by 4:30 am to run outdoors everyday. I can't stand the treadmill! I do an elliptical and exercise bike indoors when it does rain, but something about running inside is so boring to me. Luckily several neighbors have sprinklers going in the mornings, so I can dart through them as well!

2858698.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • seasonalvoodoo
    seasonalvoodoo Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I completed it in March and did it all outside. I would recommend doing it outside as it is totally different from running on a treadmill. As another poster said, doing it inside may not train you for a 5k accurately.
    481471 Posts: 95
    Options
    if you have the choice- outside. It can be fun to run in the elements, see the seasons change.
    and you can get a nice tan in the summer!!
  • scottg9999
    scottg9999 Posts: 30
    Options
    Either way will work, but running outside has much less of a boredum factor and therefore easier to stick with. If you do only run on a treadmill and decide to go outside for a race, you will notice decrease in your performance outdoors (harder to run at same pace outside than on a treadmill). If you do go with the treadmill and want to be able to perform similar outdoors, slowly add slight gradient (1% or 2% so) to your treadmill workout.
  • LolasEpicJourney
    LolasEpicJourney Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I do it inside. I dont deal well with the heat - and we've been getting a lot of hot an humid weather lately (over 100degrees plus humidy) - or its raining it seems.
    I would like to do it outside eventually - maybe once I finish c25k I will run outside :)
  • mdentley
    mdentley Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I started on the treadmill for the first 3 weeks...now I'm outside and loving it! I will use the treadmill on bad weather days only from now on...
  • clioandboy
    clioandboy Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    outside for me!
  • weeziews
    weeziews Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I've only ran on the treadmill. I'm just starting week 4 and this is my first experience with doing any kind of running. I think I may try it outside since the weather is getting better. I like the treadmill, because I know what my speed is. However, speed isn't important to me right now. I'm not training for an actual 5k. YET. ;-)
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Inside, for now, due to the heat and humidity here in Louisiana. I'll move outside in the fall.
  • SuzieR
    SuzieR Posts: 127
    Options
    I'm starting this (again) when I've lost a stone and bought my new reward trainers ...

I'll be doing it outside - like a previous poster I've never been on a treadmill - they scare me! I have visions of flying off the back of it ...
  • CeejayGee
    CeejayGee Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I'm doing it outside as long as possible. Luckily Mother Nature seems to give me at least a couple days a week that are cooler. But, i even went out in 90+ degree weather to do it, which I never, ever thought I'd do. Once I get to a point where I'm running longer periods, I wouldn't mind the treadmill. But, starting and stopping every 90, 3 mins, 5 mins, etc is hard on a treadmill. It's so much easier to just takea 10 second walk break outside. Plus, way better scenery :)
  • imnotyourpal
    imnotyourpal Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Outside, fo shiz! :)