Less Sleep, But No Ill Effects?

Options
Just wondering if anyone is having the same issue I am facing now on a daily basis. I average between 6 and 6 1/2 hours of sleep per night during the week, no naps at all since I work 8 am- 5 pm. Saturdays and Sundays I may catch a nap, but it's no more than thirty minutes to an hour. No matter what I do (drink a little alcohol, try Tylenol PM or Unisom, or go to bed earlier), I am unable to get any more sleep than the 6 or so hours. If I do go to bed earlier (say 9:30 instead of 10), I am still up by 4 am.

Does weight loss and exercise affect your sleep patterns? I don't feel tired/sick/exhausted or I would be really worried. It just seems that six to seven hours is more than enough sleep these days, whereas a year ago I had to get a minimum of 8 hours and did better with 9 or 10.

Thanks for any info or comments you might have.

2858698.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Replies

• Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Yes the studies say 8 hours of sleep is ideal. Some people/bodies dont NEED that much. Its also how youve trained your body. As long as you arent feeling run-down or lethargic you should be fine.

I run off alot less sleep now then even a year ago
  • 3ur3ka
    3ur3ka Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I've noticed I don't need as much sleep any more. The more active I am, the less tired I am. I can go on 4 hours of sleep and feel great. Any more than 6 hours and all of my muscles become stiff and I hurt all day. I wouldn't worry about it.

Sleep is for the weak!
  • oldtyke
    oldtyke Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I generally get about 6 hours (since I hit the meno.) Apparently all the real benefits take place in the first 4 hours so I've stopped worrying.
  • JenniferVegas
    JenniferVegas Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I used to sleep about 8 1/2 hours a day. Now I get about 7 to 7 1/2 hours a day. I don't *feel* worse for it.
  • LeeLeeTunk
    LeeLeeTunk Posts: 84
    Options
    Ive discovered since changing my eating and exercise habits (12hr of sleep, 4000plus calories a day!)

I sleep alot less...(6-7 hrs)

And have tons of energy!!
  • nickfn
    nickfn Posts: 19
    Options
    Keep in mind this is just anecdotal, but I used to sleep exactly 8 hours a night like a machine. After I started running consistently, my body naturally woke me up after 6 hours feeling extremely refreshed. So like other people have mentioned, it seems that the more active I am the less sleep I need. Counterintuitive to the layman, but there it is.
  • mrrodriguez
    mrrodriguez Posts: 158
    Options
    Thanks for bringing up this topic. I was wondering the same thing as I find myself up at 5 a.m. now if I go to sleep at my usual time. I used to sleep 8 hours without fail, but now need a bit less. If I was smart I would take advantage of the pattern and work out real early in the morning. Maybe some day. Anyway, I don't know why, but less sleep also seems to be a side effect of a more active lifestyle.
  • MemphisGirl75
    MemphisGirl75 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I don't feel so alone now. I do take advantage of the early hour, getting my running exercise over with before the sun and the Memphis heat rise up :) Running at 7 am with 85 degree temps and 100% humidity is no fun. Rather do it at 4:30 ish and be back before the sun starts to bake us!