Still feeling hungry?

Options
I eat the correct portions and low calories and I'm still hungry after meals. I even get hungry way before I'm supposed to have my next meal. But if I eat more I won't lose weight. I don't know what to do.

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Open your diary and maybe someone can give you suggestions. Are you eating enough protein/fats/calories?
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    These are my really general tips for hunger:

1. Make sure that your calorie goals are actually set appropriately. Don't skip this step. A lot of people set goals that are too aggressive and then wonder why they're having a hard time. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

2. Look for foods higher in protein, fat, and fiber. These help us stay full and more satisfied longer. If you're using MFP's default settings, try to consider protein, fat, and fiber as minimums to reach every day rather than maximums to stay below.

3. Drink plenty of fluids. Some people really do confuse thirst and hunger.

4. Get plenty of rest. This includes sleeping enough and taking rest days from the exercise. Sometimes our bodies look for food when they're exhausted.

5. Play around with your meal timings. Some people do really well on 5-6 small meals a day and others feel like they want to gnaw their own arm off eating like that. Skipping breakfast, eating breakfast, 16:8 fasting, 6 small meals, 3 larger meals, snacks, no snacks, meal timing won't make a big difference to your weight loss, but it may help your hunger levels, mood, concentration, gym performance, etc. throughout the day. Don't be afraid to try a different way and see if it helps.

6. Wait it out. If you know you're eating enough and the other steps above aren't helping, you may just have to wait it out. Our bodies send out hunger signals partially out of habit. If you eat at a certain time every day your body will start to get hungry at that time. The good news is that these signals can be retrained to stop telling you to be hungry all the time. The bad news is that you may just have to be hungry for a little bit while that happens.

7. I also think it's important to remember that there's a habitual component to hunger. This goes along with point #6, but if you eat because you're bored or you're used to eating in front of the TV or in the car or whatever it is, then you can replace those habits with others that are better for you. Things like keeping water on hand to sip instead of snacking or picking up hobbies that keep your hands busy or that get you out of the house more can help out a little while you're retraining your hunger cues. You might need to pay attention to why you're eating/hungry or what you're feeling when you eat and try to replace food with other things, but it can be really beneficial over time.
  • sdkalubz
    sdkalubz Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    So far I've managed tp reach 69.8 kg. But a week ago i was 68.3kg. I'm shocked about how i gained this weight. But all i have been is consistent with my seight loss. What cpuld be 5he problem. I want tp be 55k by the end of December. How i possibly get there. :'(
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    @/tiffanymariearpaio - if you change your Diary Sharing settings to Public we will be able to give you more specific suggestions: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

Also, how tall are you?
  • kshama2001
    Options
    sdkalubz wrote: »
    So far I've managed tp reach 69.8 kg. But a week ago i was 68.3kg. I'm shocked about how i gained this weight. But all i have been is consistent with my seight loss. What cpuld be 5he problem. I want tp be 55k by the end of December. How i possibly get there. :'(

For those of us who don't use kg:
    69.8 kg = 153.9 pounds
    68.3 kg = 150.6 pounds
    55 kg = 121.2 pounds

You want to lose 33 pounds in less than six weeks? At your weight, that's simply not realistic. If you had a few hundred pounds to lose you could lose five pounds per week safely.

Set your goals to lose 1 pound per week and eat the amount of calories that gives you. Use a food scale to weigh all your solid foods. When you get closer to your goal, change this to lose 0.5 pound per week.

a37btb7mxb3t.jpg

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're getting lots of protein and fats, as they keep you sated longer.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Add more fruits and veggies. You can eat so much food and stay very full (lots of fiber!) for so few calories. Whole grain breads will help more than white, too.
  • Thatonechickoverthere
    Options

kshama2001 wrote: »
    @/tiffanymariearpaio - if you change your Diary Sharing settings to Public we will be able to give you more specific suggestions: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

Also, how tall are you?

I changed it to public. I'm 5'5".
  • froggiebecky
    froggiebecky Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I took a quick glance at the most recent couple of your diary pages, and it looks like you've got a very carb-heavy (and processed) diet. You might try swapping a few things. For example, instead of the biscuit pack at breakfast, what about some boiled eggs and a piece of fruit? That would get some more protein and fat into your body, which would mean you're satiated longer. Also, you might consider changing your snacks--some peppers and hummus, or carrots or something.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I have to agree with @froggiebecky, your protein especially is super low most days. You are missing three things that many people find help them feel full - protein, fiber, and fat. Also your calories are all over the place day to day. Make sure your stats are entered correctly, choose 1lb per week as a goal to start with, and eat the calories MFP gives you. Then focus on eating a bit more protein and veggies. There is a learning curve, but you will find the foods that work for you over time, and you will get used to the right amount of calories once you get consistent. Good luck!
  • Thatonechickoverthere
    Options
    My calories are all over the place because that's the only way I lose weight. When I cheat, I lose. When I'm really strict, I don't lose. I have mine set at 2 lbs a week because I've already lost 39 lbs. I started 6 months ago.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    better, more satiating food choices.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I see a lot of things like "1 sandwich", "1 cup" for rice, etc. I would suggest using a digital scale to measure the ingredients for these foods and calculating your calories off of that. You may have been able to get by without exact measurements up until now but it is common to have to tighten up logging as you go along.

I don't actually think that your carbs are high but when you compare them to your protein and fat they are high. Protein and fat can help you feel more full. I would suggest increasing your daily average protein and fat intake. I'd say aim for 90g of protein and 55g of fat as a minimum on average each day. The rest of your calories could be carbs, more fat, or more protein.
  • Thatonechickoverthere
    Options
    I thought eating fat was bad though...
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    I thought eating fat was bad though...

No...fat is an essential macronutrient. You (and many others, not picking on you specifically here) need to rid yourself of the 90's mindset that low-fat is better.

Fat IS calorie dense, so you do need to watch to make sure you don't overconsume, of course.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I eat 5-6 smaller meals daily. I need to feel full while awake or I will overeat. This works for me. I plan all my meals weigh my food and eat correct portion size. E.G. 2oz all natural Turkey/romaine lettuce on 1/2 slice W Wheat lite bread with 20 pretzel ticks =150 cal or 8oz Greek plain yogurt with 1/4 cup fresh raspberries and 7 gm sliced almonds= 150 cal. The key is to measure everything and log it. I drink tons of H2O with lemon.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    @tiffanymariearpaio - every time someone starts a thread about hunger and I am able to look at their diary, it turns out their protein intake is low compared to their carbs.

On Monday, you had 76% carbs, 15% fat, and only 8% protein. I am confident that if you replace some of the bread and baked goods with protein and vegetables, you will experience less hunger.

Understanding satiety: feeling full after a meal

Tips on how to feel fuller

So how can we best try to enhance these feelings of fullness to help us control how much we eat? Here are some top tips for helping you feel fuller:
    1. Foods high in protein seem to make us feel fuller than foods high in fat or carbohydrate, so including some protein at every meal should help keep you satisfied. Foods high in protein include meats such as chicken, ham or beef, fish, eggs, beans and pulses.
    2. If you are watching your weight, opt for lower fat versions, using leaner cuts of meat, cutting off visible fat and avoiding the skin on poultry as this will help reduce the energy density of the diet, which can help to enhance satiety (see below).
    3. Foods that are high in fibre may also enhance feelings of fullness so try to include plenty of high-fibre foods in the diet such as wholegrain bread and cereals, beans and pulses and fruit and vegetables.
    4. Alcohol seems to stimulate appetite in the short-term and therefore drinking alcohol is likely to encourage us to eat more. Alcoholic beverages can make you forget about your intentions to eat healthily by making you lose your inhibitions. Alcoholic drinks are also calorific, so you should cut down on alcohol consumption if you are trying to control your weight.
    5. The ‘energy density’ of food has a strong influence on feelings of fullness or satiety. Energy density is the amount of energy (or calories) per gram of food. Lower energy density foods provide less energy per gram of food so you can eat more of them without consuming too many calories. Low energy density foods include fruit and vegetables, foods with lots of water added when cooking such as soups and stews, and lower fat foods. Click here for more information on energy density.

Read more: http://www.nutrition.org.uk/healthyliving/fuller/understanding-satiety-feeling-full-after-a-meal.html
  • irishdancer214
    irishdancer214 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I eat the correct portions and low calories and I'm still hungry after meals. I even get hungry way before I'm supposed to have my next meal. But if I eat more I won't lose weight. I don't know what to do.

Make sure you're getting enough healthy fats...I know when I don't consume a lot of fat in the day it makes me so much more hungry
  • irishdancer214
    irishdancer214 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I took a quick glance at the most recent couple of your diary pages, and it looks like you've got a very carb-heavy (and processed) diet. You might try swapping a few things. For example, instead of the biscuit pack at breakfast, what about some boiled eggs and a piece of fruit? That would get some more protein and fat into your body, which would mean you're satiated longer. Also, you might consider changing your snacks--some peppers and hummus, or carrots or something.

Right on the money.