cutting or losing weight whats the diff ?

Options
if I am currently at my goal weight but not toned does that mean I have to start 'cutting' ?

and what does that mean ??.

such a dumb question but these so many new things about I thought losing weight was all the same.

thanks

Replies

• shaddowstorm
    shaddowstorm Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I just don't know what to do with myself now being at my goal weight
  • siluridae
    siluridae Posts: 188 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    No, if you want to get muscular ("toned") you need to start bulking and lifting heavy things. That means eating a calorie surplus.
    After you achieve a pleasing level of muscle mass, you start cutting to get rid of the excess body fat you certainly got along with the muscle mass.
  • Soopatt
    Soopatt Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    There is also recomping, which you do without the weight gain. I am no expert, but I hope to become one 11 pounds from now! (I am sure someone with more info can give better advice on that option)
  • mich19025
    mich19025 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    There is a difference between losing for weight loss and losing for fat loss. Dropping weight on a calorie restricted diet alone will be a mixture of fat, fluids and organ size. Focusing on dropping fat will ensure that you preserve as much of your lean muscle as you can along the wayso that you mostly lose fat. Some muscle will be lost but not as much. This is done by putting focus not only on calories, but on macro nutrients as well (think carbs, fat protein) People that weight train tend to focus on this type of thing. I personally try and aim for 1g per pound of body weight of protein, 0.45g per pound of body weight in fat and fill the rest with carbs. Hope this helps a bit.