Should I restrict more after over indulging?

Options
I attended a family gathering 2 days ago and for the first time in a long time, overate by a whooping 3500 calories, meaning I ate 5000 calories that day.

My daily calorie intake is usually 1500 calories and I exercise 6 days a week with cycling and aerobics. I've lost 7 pounds this way, but sigh... I've ended up gaining one back.

Should I cut my calories back to 1200 for the next 13 days, or should I get back to what I had been doing all along?

All comments and advice are very appreciated. :smiley:

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Log it and move on. Tomorrow is a new day.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Don't do it. You'll end up binging again, guaranteed.

Log it and move on. You'll lose that extra pound in less than a week anyway. Don't sweat it.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    No. Restricting is never a good idea. Just get back to plan.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    This is a time when Intermittent Fasting (IF) may be an idea you could try.

There is many ways you can do IF. In my case breakfast is not an option in my mind so that gives me 1300 calories. A light meal late afternoon/early evening then not eating again until breakfast helps me when I want to lose weight. Some do IF 2-3 days weekly when wanting to lose some weight. Google the subject if interested. queenliz99's advice is great.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    Another vote for log it and move on.
  • soapsandropes
    soapsandropes Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Chalk it up to life happening and move on.
  • May33338
    May33338 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your advice. I'm gonna do as you've suggested and move on. :)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    It's over. Log it and be done with it.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Don't restrict further - it's fine, you're more than entitled to an 'off day'. As the others have said above, log it and move on :)
  • Debbie_Ferr
    Debbie_Ferr Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    3,500 additional calories = approx 1 pound additional weight gained.

So log it, and move on.

btw~ Over-indulging usually means additional sodium.
    Which means you're bound to (temporarily) retain water, ie the scale jumps up.

don't worry, stay hydrated so you'll flush out the sodium,, and in a few days, you're drop some weight.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Since you're losing weight, there is no reason to try to make up for it. Calorie-counting and "eating in a deficit" is restricting. You're already doing it! :)

It's good to start thinking about how you'll handle things like this when you're done losing, though. Will you cut back immediately or workout more or just let a few pounds add up and then go back to counting calories or what?

Overeating is no big deal when we are losing. We just continue losing. It becomes an issue when maintaining, though.