Dealing with people at work..

Options
So, my first week went great, lost some weight, but I was in the comfort of my own home all week, as I haven't had a job these last three weeks. This week I start a new job, where fast food is abound and I have a whole set of about 150 new coworkers. This was always my weakness - I wanted to be social with my coworkers, and the best way to do that was to go to lunch with them, wherever they were going. How do you all avoid that temptation and manage to pack your lunch every day?

Replies

• LeeLeeTunk
    LeeLeeTunk Posts: 84
    Options
    Ive printed off the nutrition fact sheets for all the local restraunts and stuck on my fridge..

That way if the time arises, i know what i can and cannot eat
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Your best bet is to plan and be ready- maybe pick a day a week to be ready to go out and have it coincide with a bigger workout day. Go out on your terms, not just because everyone is going out.
  • JulyHummingbird
    JulyHummingbird Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    You can be social and pleasant without going to lunch every day. If you want, you could offer to organize a healthy pot-luck. Maybe you can alter some of the office bad habits :)
  • daintycake
    daintycake Posts: 23
    Options
    Get the book Eat This Not That and carry it with you. Then when they decide where they are going, you can make good decisions!
  • westcoastSW
    westcoastSW Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I often pack a lunch and bring it along to lunch with others. (Easier in a fast food place than in a sit-down restaurant though.) Or compromise -- maybe bring a sandwich and order a cup of soup on the side.
  • DakotaKeogh
    DakotaKeogh Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    What Lee said. Get the nutrition information on the nearby restaurants and work ahead by planning what you'll get. Don't be afraid to eat half and take the rest with you. That's the easiest way to let co-workers know you're on a plan and also maybe inspire them. You KNOW there are some there who could probably afford to start eating better too. After the honeymoon is over on the new job, start packing your lunches again.

By the way, congratulations on a new job. That alone is a big win in this day and age.
  • liquidjem
    liquidjem Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Get the book Eat This Not That and carry it with you. Then when they decide where they are going, you can make good decisions!

I too love these books, its very helpful. But I also say, look up the facts on the places your co workers frequent, that way you can still go and eat with them and know of good choices to make. If you pack the night before as well, it encourages you to take your own lunch. Fill it with good for you yummy things and be a good example for the others, maybe you will convince a few to pick up your good habits!
  • stevenc68
    stevenc68 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I usually pack my lunches each day... If people ask me out to lunch, they usually do so early on so I tend to eat my lunch early , then maybe have a salad and water (no dressing) while out with the group.

I use to just go out and have water only, but that felt a bit awkward being the only one eating.

Steve
  • 13hirteen
    13hirteen Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I don't, actually.
    Part of that is because I cycle in, and I've found few packed lunches that really survive well in my mini-backpack on London's godawful roads.

I also go out with colleagues a fair bit, and as with most journalists, there's something of drinking culture.

If my colleagues and I go out to a cafe, I'll make sure I have the healthy option, though - a plain jacket potato and salad or a plain omelette.

If we go to the pub at lunchtime, I limit myself to a pint of 4.2% real ale (lower calorie than lager - also, I have a passion for real ale).

Press events are a bit harder, as they're heavy on fried food being constantly shoved into your face, but I've become good at refusing anything that's too bad for me, and sticking to sensible drinks options (gin and slim tonic or vodka and diet coke).

I also make sure to get plenty of exercise if there's a press event - on the day before or the day after, if not on the day itself. I'm lucky in that respect, as my cycle route to work and back totals around 24k and has one of London's biggest hills slap bang in the middle of it. That means I can build some intense cardio into my normal day, but if I don't feel like cycling or running to work, I'll head to the gym and spend some time on the elliptical or something.

If people bring cake in, I don't eat if it it's just a generic Tesco traybake or Krispy Kreme donut. Even if a colleague with a gift for baking has brought something unique, I'll make sure to have a small slice and to log it - presume the calories to be higher than you think they are, to give yourself a bit of a margin to work around.

Essentially, I've found that you don't have to miss out on the social aspect at all if you plan around it and go for sensible options.
  • Jdismybug1
    Jdismybug1 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I have the MFP app on my phone, no matter where I seem to go I can look up the foods there, or at least something like it, and find something suitable to eat for lunch that fits into my daily calorie intake.
  • misscfe
    misscfe Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    If I am going out to lunch I usually look up the restaurants website so I have an idea of what I should eat and if I don't find something I want then I skip going out to that place. I usually do take my lunch but sometimes work is so bad I have to get out of the office for a few minutes and that is when I cave into cravings or bad food.
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I plan ahead if I know where we're going. I'll know what I want before I get to the restaurant then stick to the decision I made before I got there. Almost all the major chains will have their nutritional information online. I believe the FDA makes at least the fast food places post it in the restaurant (if you don't immediately see it, check off on that hallway to the restrooms). Most of the sit-down chains will give you a print-out to review if you ask for it.

Be careful if you go out and think "I'll eat healthy, I'll just order a salad" Full fat cheese, full fat dressings, croutons -- the salads at chain restaurants are far more devious and dangerous than you think.
  • HisBeloved65
    HisBeloved65 Posts: 186
    Options
    I pack my lunch each day and choose to get to know and connect with my co-workers when it doesnt revolve around food. My co-workers are very supportive of my choices and no longer offer things that will tempt me.
  • jujubean1992
    jujubean1992 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    i work at a papa johns and temptation is always there. no one wants to eat pizza anymore so there's usually someone stopping here or there thru a drive thru but i usually bring a couple things to snack on when i get the chance or there is a bagel shop at the other end of the strip i visit every once in a while for a sandwich and a pickle.
  • jessical30
    jessical30 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I pack everyday but I still sit with my co workers who pack. Before I changed my lifestyle I would go out to lunch once a week with a few co workers. Its very tempting when some of them go out but I just tell myself it will pay off not to go lol Good luck !!
  • michelec64
    michelec64 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I eat a packed lunch just about every day, but if I do have to go out I visit the restataurant website to look at their menu; that way I already know what I'm getting before I even leave the office. As far as logging it in if there is no nutritional info available I look for something similar on the database, or worst case scenario log in each ingredient as best as I can remember.
  • traceywaugh
    traceywaugh Posts: 144
    Options
    if you want to go out and eat with your work colleagues you can just make sure you choose healthy options dont be afraid to ask for things without sauces or dressing etc. its a lifestyle change you shouldnt feel deprived because you will loose motivation to keep going