What is your goal feeling?

Options
msf74
msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
edited November 2015 in Motivation and Support
I read this quote from Georgie Fear which resonated with me:

We often use a goal weight as a symbol of how we want to FEEL, or the EXPERIENCE we want our life to be.

I think this is true on many levels for many people - the number on the scale represents something deeper: social acceptance, happiness, self worth, confronting past hurts and loss, feeling in control.

So, when the number on the scale does not head in the right direction, we fear that we may never reach these deeper goals, they are forever out of our reach, which leads to unhappiness.

Instead of striving for a goal weight consider striving for a goal feeling: accomplishment, strength, happiness, peace, confidence and that brings into focus that the number on the scale doesn't have to consistently move for your true goals to be realised.

What is your goal feeling?

Replies

• lmhbuss
    lmhbuss Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Love this quote! My goal feeling is confidant.
  • 22ep
    22ep Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    My goal feeling is accomplishment
  • ghouli
    ghouli Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Confidence, being able to be out and not being hyper-aware of everything about my body. Right now I'm so tuned in to what my thighs look like when I'm sitting down, my stomach rolls, etc and just feeling like I'm clunky and take up too much space. Kinda puts a damper on what's supposed to be a fun night out. I just want to feel good in my skin.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Control and achievement. Getting back to my college weight. Why do post menopausal, active and healthy women seem to gain weight? I want to be in control of that. And I want to stay at that weight this time because I feel good at that weight physically as well as mentally.
  • strozman
    strozman Posts: 2,622 Member
    Options
    Goal feeling? Sexy and intimidating
  • 19gabriela01
    19gabriela01 Posts: 2,090 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I want to be respected for all the hard work and effort and be inspiring others
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Accomplishment, and freedom. I was at my heaviest this summer. And I love tennis. I was invited to the Vancouver Open tennis and I turned it down because the thought of sitting in the heat, being this fat (shorts?? no way), and being uncomfortable sitting in a plastic chair that maybe might break... nope, could not do it. I'm tired of letting my body size dictate what I "can and cannot" do.
  • dreamofbeauty
    dreamofbeauty Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I really want to show my self that I can still do this! I can say no when I want a late night snack or the cake in the coffee shop or what ever. I control my self and my life! And I want to be the best in that role :)
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Some great aspirations going on here!

For my part, I wanted to feel more confident and look better. Looking back on it I realise the number on the scale didn't dictate that (in fact it was a hindrance many times) but rather changing my mindset and also improving my body composition (the ratio to fat to muscle I was carrying which isn't adequately reflected on the scale.)

The scale is a shady little blighter who lies all the time.
  • davidaharsch
    davidaharsch Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    My goal feeling would be control. I know I can do something as easy as making healthy choices and excercising. I'm the one who makes the choices harder by making bad ones. It's all about having control over my body again