My new job--to lose weight

Options
I am a 62 year old married male that is carrying around 35 per cent body-fat on a 250 pound body. I just recently retired from from a rather active job and have decided my new job is to lose weight. My motivation is not a sexy body. My motivation is to reduce the weight on my bad left knee (missing cartilage--bone to bone). I also want to get to around a 10 per cent body-fat level and not lose muscle fiber. I have been dieting since April 29th and have lost almost 11 pounds (I signed onto Fitness pal only 3 days ago).

I have dieted in the past and like most people I usually regained the weight. Maintaining a journal really helps and it is educational.

I recently purchased a heart monitor to observe my heart rate while exercising--that too is educational. I am learning more about myself and my body on a daily basis.

My biggest weight gain occurred when I was 41 just after I quit smoking, I went from 240 pounds to over 290 pounds in only a year. I was a big baby about giving up cigarettes. I sucked on tootsie-pops to replace the craving--causing cavities to my molars.

My last job (2002 to 2011), working in a warehouse, my weight stayed between 251 and 270 (lots of yo-yo). I have always carried some fat (probably in the 20 per cent to 35 per cent body-fat range) throughout my adult life (I was in the Marines from 1969 to 1973).

The toughest part of any diet is maintaining that "goal" that you finally achieved. The journal cannot stop! The journal must become a part of your life. Hopefully my retirement will allow me to focus time and effort into this diet.

Now I will step off the "soapbox" and rest my fingers.

Replies

• mabug01
    mabug01 Posts: 1,273 Member
    Options
    First of all - thank you for your service. Second - congratulations on taking the reins! I think you will get lots of motivation from this site. I've just started (about a week ago) and I love it. I, too, have a bad knee and it is a challenge to find that right balance of exercise and resting the knee. Lots of luck!
  • jinxywinx
    jinxywinx Posts: 38
    Options
    Congrats on your 11 pounds lost and welcome to MFP!

I, too, gained a bunch after I quit smoking and then never really quit gaining. I'm glad I stopped smoking, but I sure wish I hadn't gone overboard on my food intake. :)
  • Liz915
    Liz915 Posts: 123
    Options
    Welcome! Good luck with your weight loss journey!