Jillian Michaels on My Plate

Options
nkswans
nkswans Posts: 469 Member
This is an opinion piece by Jillian Michaels on the new My Plate which replaced the Food Pyramid recently. I thought I would share it with you because it's an interesting read and she has some valid points in it. It is a little lengthy, about 3 pages.

http://www.everydayhealth.com/healthy-living/we-need-policy-not-plates.aspx

Replies

• mrrodriguez
    mrrodriguez Posts: 158
    Options
    Jillian is so savvy. Really interesting piece. I heard the food pyramid was a bust. thanks for posting.
  • momma_roo
    momma_roo Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    great article! Thanks for sharing!
  • Jenscan
    Jenscan Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Wow, this girl knows her stuff... I don't necessarily agree with everything but I'm impressed. Go Jillian!
  • DropsOJupiter
    Options
    Thanks for the post and I actually agree with most of what she said in the article. I strive to eat mostly organic foods. I can honestly say that this has basically double my food bill. In these economic times that is not an option for some folks. It takes an effort to locate and purchase healthier foods even though I live in a city with multiple organic food markets and farmer's markets. Again, spending increased time to locate the foods would be difficult for some. I totally agree with JM that we need to stop subsidizing the huge chemical laden mega farms and soda companies, and get behind our local farmers and provide basic nutritional education within our schools. We are resistive to change...just look at the fight Jamie Oliver has had in trying to convert school systems to healthier foods. And we, as a nation, are certainly paying the price for our choices in eating fast and convenient with the obesity rate and residual medical issues related to obesity.

As you can see, I am speaking from experience. I use to eat the sodium laden, fast , cheap food and it got me morbidly obese. I am hoping we can alter this path but this new "My Plate" is not enough!
  • supermom1114
    supermom1114 Posts: 577
    Options
    Love, Love, Love this piece!! And Jillian! She is spot on with her advice and information about our government and our country's agribusiness! Thanks for getting this out there and helping to educate more people!!
  • io278983
    io278983 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    "Take the tip of the day, for example. It tells us to “Consider convenience when shopping. Buy pre-cut packages of fruit (such as melon or pineapple chunks) for a healthy snack in seconds.” Is the implication that we are too lazy to cut our own fruit? Seriously?!"

-Haha...I love her. Great article, thank you for sharing. :)
  • Kimmer2011
    Kimmer2011 Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Great article! I really wish organic milk weren't so outrageously expensive. It would be great if government subsidies went to local fruits & vegetables, but that isn't the way our government works right now. It's all about lobbyists & who has the most money.