Smith Machine to free weights-transition question

Options
Hello all, I started doing Stronglifts 5x5 a couple of weeks ago and am really enjoying it. Unfortunately, the only gym that is within a 30 minute drive of me AND is affordable does not have a squat rack, so I have been using the smith machine to do the squats and bench presses. Not ideal I know, but I've been trying to make the best of it. The good news is, sometime in the hopefully near-ish future I will be getting my own bench and barbell/weights to put in my basement, at which point I can quit the gym and work out at home.

So after that very long explanation my question IS: when I do finally get the home gym set up and can start using the barbell instead of a smith machine, how should I measure what weight I should be starting at with my lifts that I used to use the Smith for? Is there a standard amount of weight I should take off of my current lifts when transitioning from a Smith to free weights? I know I could just test the waters, but I don't want to go too heavy and hurt myself, or too light and lose progress. Thanks!

Replies

• FrankWhite27330
    FrankWhite27330 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Our smith machine weighs zero cause the pulley. I would sub 45 lbs
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    If you use dumbells (try a squat by just holding them by your sides) for all exercises, this will usually give you a great indication. People are really baffled at why they can lift so much more on a machine versus "dead weight". I've seen guys put on 6 45's on a Smith Machine, then barely 4 45's on a barbell for a squat.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Awesome question, you are already beginning in a great place mentally; you know the weight does not translate from smith to free weights.

You wont be able to lift the same weight. I don't think there is a formula on the weight you should take off. Its always advisable to start with light weight and progressively add more weight. You should have a warm up set. Warm up with your lowest and if you can handle it, add more weight.
  • hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Start with the barbell and see how that goes. There's a girl at work who boasts about her squat weight on the smith machine too. Did not exactly translate to barbell weight at all...
  • bremingtonsteele
    Options
    Thanks for the input everyone!
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Make sure you get a good power rack set up! :)
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Bumping! I have the same concern. Due to bad feet I had to start off using the Smith, and now I feel like I'm strong/stable enough to move onto the barbell but I don't want to lose progress. From everything I'm reading, the Smith machine is a poor comparison to the barbell and I'm disappointed in myself for depending on it for so long. I can max out at 200 lbs. on the Smith, and easily rep 110/130/160, so I'm really quite anxious to see what my barbell weight and rep PR will be. Seems I'm much further away from my IG inspiration goals - Ana Cheri squats 155 on the barbell o_o GOALS.
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    i have a related question actually: i'm starting stronglifts tomorrow and the gym i can get to has a smith machine but no power rack (no squat rack either) am i better off starting with the smith or since it's starts at such a low weight should i just go for it (with a friend so, can she spot?)