days off?!?

Options
Hey everyone,

Quick question.. do you have days off from exercise or have a day with only light exercise or full workouts everyday??

For the past two weeks i have been working out for around 2 1/2 hours per day..(mostly cardio, abs and arms) but i found it harder this week to keep the energy up during my workouts.. what should i be doing??

Replies

• jujubean1992
    jujubean1992 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    i usually work out everyother day. unless i feel the need to work out more than one day in a row.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    at the very least, give yourself 1 day a week where you have light to no exercise. try a casual walk around the neighborhood or anything less intense than normal.
  • flimflamfloz
    flimflamfloz Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    You can do cardio training every day.

For targeted muscle training (abs, arms with weights, etc.), you should not really do it every day (targeted exercise should be done once or twice a week).
    For compound muscle training (pull ups, push ups), you can do it every day if you want, but really every other day is enough.

As a man, I run Tue/Thurs. I do push weight training on Mon, pull weight training on Wed, Lower body on Fri, just to give you an idea.
    It is very hard to keep your energy if you workout every day, but don't forget to eat something before your workout as well (I find it difficult to complete the full workout if I don't eat something before).
  • Spayrroe
    Spayrroe Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    at the very least, give yourself 1 day a week where you have light to no exercise. try a casual walk around the neighborhood or anything less intense than normal.

/agree

I've got quite a bit of weight to lose, but I always take off on Sundays. I've been doing great at hitting the work outs hard the six other days a week, but I have to have that rest day.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I have run every day (or twice a day) since April 5th - 69 days. A couple of days a week the runs are shorter and easier to allow for recovery.
  • Arizona_JR
    Arizona_JR Posts: 275
    Options
    Others have already said it, but....

Your body needs rest from INTENSE exercise, however, light exercise can be done daily. Instead of doing nothing on your "Off Day' you can do light activities and you'll be fine.
  • jamielise2
    jamielise2 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I take Sunday off. I workout HARD the rest of the week and need that day to myself.
  • Mrs_TrimWaistFatWallet
    Options
    I take 1-2 days off/week whenever I'm really dragging. My training is important but sometimes, for best health and performance, that means a day off every now and then. Make sure you're eating enough protein for recovery and carbs for fuel!
  • H8T3D
    H8T3D Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I try and do cardio 7 days a week, but as for working-out you have to let your body rest. I workout Monday-Friday and let my body recover on the weekends. I get in about 30-60 minutes of exercise on the weekends, then start my weekly routine on Monday.
  • karlz87
    karlz87 Posts: 37
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the help... Had a very lazy week this week.. (no good) but im back on it as from today, with my new regime thanks to your help :)
  • stylin
    stylin Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I force myself to not workout more then 3 hours a day! I love the gym I need a job, I have way to much spare time!