Overcoming binge eating disorder

Options
Desparate. Would love to hear anyone and everyone's tips tricks and success stories.

Thank you. Would mean a lot.

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    The first step I took to overcoming it was to accept that I needed to lose weight slower. I changed my goal from lose 2 pounds per week to lose 1 pound per week. The next step was to stop making foods completely off limits. I didn't keep binge trigger foods in the house, but if I wanted one I would plan it in my diary and go buy a single serving. The final step was to realize that another diet was not going to fix it. When you binge forgive yourself and start tomorrow fresh. Don't try making up for it by starving yourself the next day or two.
  • PeiDub
    PeiDub Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I don't have any tips, but if you want a friend fighting the same battle, feel free to add me.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    sarsather wrote: »
    Desparate. Would love to hear anyone and everyone's tips tricks and success stories.

I suggest speaking with a professional and finding a therapy group comprised of individuals with binge eating disorder. This was the only thing that helped me when I was bingeing big time, and my disordered thoughts and urges around bulimia came back after being in remission for over ten years. Thank goodness, I did not give into the thoughts and urges, I called my primary care physician instead and he got me into immediate group therapy with other bulimics.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

I suggest speaking with a professional and finding a therapy group comprised of individuals with binge eating disorder. This was the only thing that helped me when I was bingeing big time, and my disordered thoughts and urges around bulimia came back after being in remission for over ten years. Thank goodness, I did not give into the thoughts and urges, I called my primary care physician instead and he got me into immediate group therapy with other bulimics.

@sarsather - you're supposed to see a psychiatrist this week, yes? Ask about group therapy. Or ask the doctor who referred you to the psychiatrist to get you into group.
  • amberlyda1
    amberlyda1 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I had to figure out what was making me binge. I had stayed at an awesome weight and fitness level for years. Then some trauma happened and I ate my feelings. I needed to feel full to be satisfied. Wile I dealt with my feelings I also had to deal with my bad habits and my bodies craving to feel full. I kicked the bad food out of my house and would only allow myself to binge on salads, and low kcal and sodium soups. At least this way I was binging on things with high fiber and low calories. As the months have gone on it has been much easier to wean myself off of the binges, They almost never happen anymore. but I still keep soup in the house; I have found having a warm belly helps. It will be different for everyone. Good luck
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Did your treatment team diagnose you with BED or is this a self diagnosis?
  • bfanny
    bfanny Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Just stop! The more you give in the more you will continue the struggle...
    How motivated are you to get to your goal?
  • bfanny
    Options
    "Assuming" that you are on your way to eating healthy the right amount of cals and so on...
  • alittlelife14
    alittlelife14 Posts: 339 Member
    Options

Diagnosed.

& Bfanny - it is easier said than done and I know
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with this in college and went to therapy for a few months. The therapy was helpful in just understanding my relationship with food better and the emotional things in my life that were triggering the binges.

To be honest, MFP has helped me a lot with my binging too. Logging makes me feel really in control and I know that if I do binge, it's not the end of the world and I just pick back up the next day. In the past I would try to diet and cut out all the foods I loved, and then I couldn't keep that up so eventually would binge. Then I'd just give up and go back to binging. Now I eat the foods I love every day but I log everything and just stay below my calories.
  • bfanny
    Options
    And who said it was going to be easy? But is not impossible ;) believe me been there done that... But if is that severe professional help may be the answer
  • ActionAnnieJXN
    ActionAnnieJXN Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    A 12 step program such as Overeaters Anonymous may be something to consider. It's helped many, many people over the years. I wish you the best - the first thing is to face it head on and with complete honesty, and it sounds like you are doing that.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    I will quote an awesome post by @pondee629 from another thread for you.
    pondee629 wrote: »
    When you go to a party with an open bar, do you always get falling down drunk?

When you see a very attractive member of the opposite gender, do you always make inappropriate moves on that person?

When someone disagrees with you, do you violently oppose them, even if you want to?

Do you get up and go to work every day even though you really don't like your job?

When an office superior says something stupid, do you immediately and loudly correct that person?

OK. Will power ain't the problem. We can, and do, control many, many impulses. If you want to lose weight, you must control your caloric intake. ONLY EAT THE CANDY THAT YOU WILL FIT INTO YOUR CALORIC BUDGET!

Act like a responsible adult, you do on the rest of lifes decisions. This is one you have made.

• Josh_lol
    Josh_lol Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I haven't had a disorder so I wouldn't know how it feels to not physically be able to give up the foods that would put weight on. I guess see someone who will be able to help you with the mentality of it. Then, slowly incorporate new foods or replacements that are lower calories. Add in more exercise and you'll be able to eat more of the foods you like :)
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

Diagnosed.

& Bfanny - it is easier said than done and I know

Then wouldn't it be wiser to discuss this with your treatment team rather than random internet people? There are reasons why people here have recommended for months that you seek specialized professional help. What you keep asking about is well beyond what can be fixed by a fitness forum.
  • mylittlerainbow
    mylittlerainbow Posts: 822 Member
    Options
    I joined eating awareness groups at two different times, also worked with a nutritionist and two separate therapists. They helped me understand the origin of why I did what I did but I was never successful in changing my pattern permanently at that point. What made a difference for ME was getting out of the bad relationship - wow, instant relaxation, haven't binged since then even though I've had my periods of overeating (which is why I'm here again) - and held off on that behavior even after I moved from a more relaxed job pace to a new job that was more stressful. The situation at home was the real culprit. So I do recommend self-help books and a therapist who is grounded in eating disorders, but you also need to examine the different facets of your own life and decide if any one of them might be triggering the need to binge in the first place. Good luck - it's such a vicious cycle of hating oneself, feast or famine, that I really feel for you.
  • bologna111
    bologna111 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Did you read brain over binge? In your last thread someone offered to send you their copy. I really think reading it would help you.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    The first step I took to overcoming it was to accept that I needed to lose weight slower. I changed my goal from lose 2 pounds per week to lose 1 pound per week. The next step was to stop making foods completely off limits. I didn't keep binge trigger foods in the house, but if I wanted one I would plan it in my diary and go buy a single serving. The final step was to realize that another diet was not going to fix it. When you binge forgive yourself and start tomorrow fresh. Don't try making up for it by starving yourself the next day or two.

Allllll this. I started out setting MFP to lose .5 pounds a week and I would have not stayed with it if I set it to 2 pounds a week in the beginning.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    bfanny wrote: »
    And who said it was going to be easy? But is not impossible ;) believe me been there done that... But if is that severe professional help may be the answer

I think you meant well, but I'm glad you posted the above after your previous reply:
    bfanny wrote: »
    Just stop! The more you give in the more you will continue the struggle...
    How motivated are you to get to your goal?

Because professional therapuetic help is of utmost importance, especially since she has already been diagnosed.