fresh spinach

Options
ashlieross430
ashlieross430 Posts: 10 Member
What do y'all do with your fresh spinach?

Replies

• scyian
    scyian Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Sauté as a side with meat. Add in stir fries or curries. Add to soups, add in risottos or pasta. Use fresh in a salad.
  • ashlieross430
    Options
    Those s
    scyian wrote: »
    Sauté as a side with meat. Add in stir fries or curries. Add to soups, add in risottos or pasta. Use fresh in a salad. [/quote

Sounds good, I sometimes add to eggs
  • ashlieross430
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Eat it? ;)

Saag, Saag paneer, saute with garlic, toss in salads etc. K.I.S.S. :)

That sounds good , I'm looking for new ways to have it that's why I asked :) I just bought a huge bag so needed new ideas
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    That huge bag wont be so big after you throw it in a pan with some oil lol :)

Yep, cooks down to such a teeny tiny amount!
  • triddering
    triddering Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Make yummy scrambled eggs!
    Sauté spinach in pan with a bit of olive oil and garlic, then pour in some whipped eggs (with a tablespoon of water to make extra fluffy), add some organic turkey breast chopped up (I often use non-nitrate slices for sandwiches to make it easy). Season with a bit of Light Adobo Goya (less sodium). Add a few sliced grape tomatoes if desired, or even a tablespoon of shredded cheddar.
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    I often replace lettuce with spinach - on sandwiches, in wraps. It holds up way better and has a better texture and more nutrients than lettuce.
  • TheSunshineQueen
    TheSunshineQueen Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I often replace lettuce with spinach - on sandwiches, in wraps. It holds up way better and has a better texture and more nutrients than lettuce.

^^ Exactly this.

Honestly, OP, I add spinach to everything I can get away with adding it to, i.e.:
    - sandwiches/wraps
    - scrambled eggs/omelettes
    - quiches/casseroles
    - soups/stews
    - pasta dishes
    - meatballs (yup, i shred 'em up to tiny pieces and toss 'em in the ground beef/turkey)
    - burgers (either as an add-on or a part of the burger)
    - various salads
    - etc, etc, etc.

For me, spinach has a very mild flavor and can be put into almost anything. Go crazy, OP.
  • amiramay
    amiramay Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    What do y'all do with your fresh spinach?

Use it in a smoothie - banana coconut water and spinach. Lovely. Or make a quiche with spinach and smoke salmon. Delicious.
  • Thisnameischosen
    Thisnameischosen Posts: 2,770 Member
    Options
    Curries (sagg aloo, chicken sagg etc) eat it raw as salad or mix it in at the end if casseroles. Iv tried it ONCE steamed and thought it was revolting! Has to me mixed in with strong flavours or eaten raw for me.
  • Thisnameischosen
    Thisnameischosen Posts: 2,770 Member
    Options
    *saag :#
  • DawnSober
    DawnSober Posts: 17 Member
    Options

^^ Exactly this.

Honestly, OP, I add spinach to everything I can get away with adding it to, i.e.:
    - sandwiches/wraps
    - quiches/casseroles
    - soups/stews
    - pasta dishes
    - meatballs (yup, i shred 'em up to tiny pieces and toss 'em in the ground beef/turkey)
    - various salads
    - etc, etc, etc.

For me, spinach has a very mild flavor and can be put into almost anything. Go crazy, OP.

This! And smoothies!
  • ashlieross430
    Options
    Thankyou all for the tips . I am very anemic and am trying to add spinach to my diet since I can't tolerate iron pills
  • queenofpuppies
    queenofpuppies Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    its good in tacos and on grilled cheese sanwiches
  • plantedinpots
    plantedinpots Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    i absolutely love spinach. i've been known to just throw some on a plate and microwave it. no seasonings, nothing. i'd recommend it, actually, if you're really pressed for time or lazy (like i sometimes am, haha) and love spinach. i add it to sandwiches, salads, and when i'm stove top cooking other vegetables in a pan with tofu, i almost always throw in around half a bag of spinach at the end. so delicious
  • LooseyGoosey12
    LooseyGoosey12 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Quiche! Also, try cooking in cast iron. Moist acidic foods seem to absorb more iron. Every little bit helps.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Blanch it, squeeze out the extra water, and freeze any you can't use right away in muffin cups. Try a home made pizza with fresh mozzarella.
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    DawnSober wrote: »

^^ Exactly this.

- sandwiches/wraps
    - quiches/casseroles
    - soups/stews
    - pasta dishes
    - various salads
    - etc, etc, etc.

This! And smoothies!

All of this for me too.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    It can be thrown in almost anything. I like the plastic bags of Dole pre-washed spinach. You can poke a fork in the bag and microwave it. It then forms a smallish lump that's easy to chop up & throw in soup, stir fries, pasta sauces, etc. You can also make a moist turkey meatloaf by whirring a bag of spinach, raw, with the egg in the food processor. It makes the turkey a slightly odd color but you don't taste the spinach in the final product.
  • beautyonthebeach83
    Options
    I use it in egg dishes, soups, pasta sauces, smoothies, pilafs, sandwiches, sauteed with onions and mushrooms as quesadilla filling, and I even use it in homemade pesto sauce! It's so versatile. We go through boxes of it like crazy.