How often do you weigh yourself?

Options
I guess the title asks the question I have. I generally weighed myself every morning, up until i started on MFP, just to make sure I hadn't gone over 280 again. I know there are a few schools of thought on this....weigh everyday to catch spikes in gain ...weigh once a week....any thoughts? Just started on MFP on 6/10

Replies

• LilChickPea
    LilChickPea Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I weigh everyday. Keeps me on track, but I do know that the body's weight does fluctuate. So, I don't get upset if I go up 2lbs. It's just normal.
  • kportelli70
    Options
    I've always heard once a week is good. But do NOT get obsessed with what the scale says. Focus on how your clothes fit you.
  • Ashalahn_LMT
    Ashalahn_LMT Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I weigh once a week. Friday. First thing in the morning. After using the restroom. Before eating. No clothes. Though I struggle not to weigh myself more. Personally the daily fluctuations would drive me insane.
  • grumpybearchemo
    Options
    i do it every week, on a monday morning after i have breakfast. your weight will go up n down in the week
  • tbrown1025
    tbrown1025 Posts: 165
    Options
    Eh, I weigh myself too much- the hubby took the scale away from since I was weighing several times a day and it was affecting my mood, boo! Daily weighing will show you change, but you should also remember as a PP stated, daily fluctuations happen.

Also, in my case -- it's taken me about 4-5 weeks to lose 2.5lbs, but I HAVE lost inches everywhere in that time and even gone down a pants size. You could try to taking your measurements weekly too to gauge your progress. Good luck!
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I like to weigh every day in order to keep a close eye on things. It's the highlight of my mornings, especially when it's minus something, lol. If it's plus, I know to be a little more careful that day. Works great for me....I couldn't stand having to wait an entire week. Congrats for joining, it's a great spot.
  • britniseubert
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning, first thing. I like to see how what I ate the day before affected my weight in either a negative or positive way no matter how big or little the difference. It helps me stay on track, where as I think if I weighed myself every week, I might let myself slip more often and eat things I know I shouldn't because I don't see that number every morning. I don't know if my theory is right or works the best, but it's definitely worked for me... Good luck reaching your goal!
  • Arizona_JR
    Arizona_JR Posts: 275
    Options
    Being that your weight will fluctuate a bit day to day, you may want to weigh yourself more than once a week. weighing yourself more often allows to track the general trend of weight loss/gain. Weighing yourself once a week may find a couple weeks at your highpoint, which can be a little frustrating.
  • wenlot7
    wenlot7 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every day early in the morning, right after I get up and start eating breakfast. I lost almost 10 lbs. in a week and a half, so it was well worth it. Soon I'll be weighing myself once or twice a week once I reach my goal weight. (I'm not to far from my goal weight, so knowing my current weight is a good motivator to stay on track.)
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    i do it every week, on a monday morning after i have breakfast. your weight will go up n down in the week

Remember, you're weighing your breakfast too!!

I weigh every morning before food, after the restroom, dead naked. Tomorrow 'should' be my lightest day of the week...but I've tossed in some odd variables over the last few days, so it might not work out that way.

Cris
  • kpow72
    kpow72 Posts: 4
    Options
    it should really be once a week, first thing in the am. although, be sure to measure also. those changes can happen due to your exercising even if you didn't eat perfect, maybe didn't lose so much. that can help you stay motivated.
  • ghoztt
    ghoztt Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning after my shower then again when I get home from work then again before I go to bed. Not because I obsess about the number but because I am curious how different parts of the day change how much I weigh. By the way, I usually weigh my lightest in the morning, slightly heaver after work and even heavier before bed before dropping back down (usually) the next morning. My official check in weigh is the morning weight because I like to see the daily fluctuations on my progress graph. I love charts and graphs and number crunching :)
  • lorilynn34
    Options
    When I saw a weight loss Dr. She told me everyday. Well mentally that is not good for me! SO, I weigh at work. 1-3 times a week. I do not own a scale other than the wii fit. I went to buy one last night but I forgot!
  • OttawaJeannie
    Options
    I weigh mysel, and write down my weight every myself every morning in order to:

- remind myself that the scale isn't always on my side but if I know I had a great day, the number WILL NOT get me down
    - remind myself that small fluctuations are normal and not to give up
    - be able to review, and show others, that reaching my goal weight was not all peaches and cream losses every week and that, if I can do it, anyone can
    - to see where I am headed

I have been at a plateau for the past couple of weeks and I have not been discouraged because I can see my food on myfitnesspal and my daily weight and kick it in the butt this week. Old me would have given up.
  • coolsmartygirl
    coolsmartygirl Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I usually weight myself whenever. I stopped for a while because my weight was staying in the same 1-2 pound range. I weighted myself the other day and I had gone down 4 pounds. Plus I usually weight myself when I am in the gym locker room because there's just this scale staring at me. I measure fat percentage and inches every five weeks.
  • scottlaurie
    Options
    Well I was just reading the posts and there are a few scale phobics amongst us. There is not right or wrong answer to your question. Most professional trainers recommend you weight yourself when first commencing a program and then weekly to gauge your progress. The best time to do this is first thing in the morning on a selected day, ie say Monday.
    Daily is a little drastic as your weight can fluctuate every hour let alone everyday dependent on the food you eat, the fluid you drink and the exercise you do. Weighing yourself daily can have a negative impact on your weight loss and cause you to regress to old behaviors.
    It's important to learn how to read your weight lose as it will plateau at some stage (stay the same). If this happens don't become dishearten, look at what you are doing and how you are doing it. In most cases if you are following your nutritional plan it will be the fact that your body has become accustom to what exercise you are doing. The simple solution, change it or step it up a notch.
    That's why you see the trainers on show's like the biggest loser constantly changing the exercise the contestants are doing, so the body never adapts, of course they push them harder than most would train also.
    Good Luck
  • TinaS88
    TinaS88 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I am day 5 and haven't weighed myself yet! I've been drinking A LOT of water (where as before I would never drink any) and I feel super bloated so I am trying to weight until that feeling goes away.

I would recommend once a week. At the same time of the day, before you eat something.